Who uses an auto-loader for home defense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    I'm curious how many INGO users that have a designated home-defense shotgun use an auto-loader for the task? I've been wanting to build a dedicated HD shotgun but for some reason I'm leary of starting with an auto-loader. My SPAS has 0 failures under it's belt, as does my Saiga 12 (with buckshot loads) both are used and trusted in the hands of various law-enforcement agencies as well as military, and yet for some reason I feel restraint in using either one for bedside duty. Perhaps it's knowing how problematic they can be to clear?

If I did an auto-loader build it would probably be an 11-87, and I'd build off an 870 if I went with a pump.

What are your thoughts, INGO?:ingo:

devil07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    East Side Indy
    I planned on using my 1187 in the same type of roll. Thankfully I decided to run some of the home defense/tactical loads through it at the range one day....didn't cycle. Federal "low recoil" or tactical 00 buck (don't remember which anymore) wouldn't cycle the 1187. So while I was attempting to find rounds that would cycle it but weren't just straight hunting shell, I decided to just switch to one of my intermediate caliber rifles (evil black gun). If you go with an 1187, just make sure to run a few dozen shells through of whatever you plan to load it with.

Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    I planned on using my 1187 in the same type of roll. Thankfully I decided to run some of the home defense/tactical loads through it at the range one day....didn't cycle. Federal "low recoil" or tactical 00 buck (don't remember which anymore) wouldn't cycle the 1187. So while I was attempting to find rounds that would cycle it but weren't just straight hunting shell, I decided to just switch to one of my intermediate caliber rifles (evil black gun). If you go with an 1187, just make sure to run a few dozen shells through of whatever you plan to load it with.

Appreciate the reply! If you have the information handy, do you remember what *would* cycle through your 1187?

bmwguru

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    My home defense shottie is a Benelli M4 auto loader. It's loaded with Hornady superformance 00 buckshot. It'll cycle those just fine. It holds 9 rounds with a full length titanium mag tube from Kip Carrier.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Saiga 12 all the way with 20 round drum. I would trust any of my converted saigas. They eat n spit high brass with no problem. After all that is what they are made to do. I would go with a veper but no drum available. If I cant get it done with that then its on to the Beowulf 50 or the tavor idf. I keep all 3 next to the bed loaded n ready to go.

Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    Saiga 12 all the way with 20 round drum. I would trust any of my converted saigas. They eat n spit high brass with no problem. After all that is what they are made to do. I would go with a veper but no drum available. If I cant get it done with that then its on to the Beowulf 50 or the tavor idf. I keep all 3 next to the bed loaded n ready to go.

From a firepower standpoint that would be definitely brutal. Those drums (and even plastic mags) make me a little cautious. Aside from the weight, the tang on those are pretty fragile. I'd hate to hit one on a door frame and risk it cracking. I would probably have to use either the factory 8 round izzy mags, or maybe the metal ones CSS is planning on making. (below)
    2fE3ZBh.jpg

Right now I'm using a well-outfitted AR and G19 for nightstand duty but I feel like there's a niche that needs filled. It's like looking at the A-Team without Baracus.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    For me the whole point on the saiga is the 20 round drums or If I'm back down to 8 rounds I may as we'll go with the veper, mossy 930 or remmy 1100. If you want a metal saiga drum get the 30 round model with even more firepower.

RandallX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 15, 2012
    hamilton county
    i went with pumps for my HD shotguns. 18.5 mossberg 500 and a 20 mossberg 500. both have heat shields and side saddles. layout of my home i don't warrant an auto loader IMO.

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    I'd be more worried about short stroking under stress than a jam in a reliable autoloader. FWIW.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    I have two autoloaders up front in my cabinet 5 feet from my bed. First is a moss 930, second is moss sa-20 w/ reflex sight and extended mag tube. Its like his/hers autoloaders. We alao have a youth model 500 in 20ga in there as well as an ar ready to go, but the to are the two autoloaders. The 930 w/ remington express 00 buck, the sa-20 w/ remington express #3 buck. Both have been very reliable with their respective loads. Im lazy, Id rather just pull the trigger again than pump first.

Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    I'd be more worried about short stroking under stress than a jam in a reliable autoloader. FWIW.

I've pondered this myself too, and to be honest is the main reason I *don't* use my SPAS as an HD gun. When I got it I thought "Oh I'll just put it in pump and then it will be just like having an 870". I have never had any failures whatsoever with that thing in semi-auto, but I would say 1/5 of my rounds will FTE properly when in pump. Which then rose the concern of short stroking.

Obviously both have their pros and cons, I appreciate the discussion here.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    I used to use my 20g 1100 as hd gun but now I use my handgun or my ar instead. Now I use the 1100 for squirrel hunting again and target shooting. I could never bring myself to change the gun to be taticool or anything because I love that gun and the orignal stock and barrel.

Top Bottom