Who Has And Carry's A Victorinox (Swiss Army Knife)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I carry a deluxe tinker when I'm at home in my jammies. When I'm out and about, I have an Explorer. I used to have an additional Explorer Plus, but I can't find it!

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    I used to carry one of the mid-size swiss army knives... then I discovered the leathernam skeletool cx which is far superior in every way. Plus it has pliers :)

the 154CM steel blade was enough of a selling feature for me, but the screwdriver with interchangeable heads, carabiner style clip / bottle opener and removeable belt clip sealed the deal

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Leatherman-830850-Skeletool-CX-Multitool/dp/B000XU43IC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1243251713&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Leatherman 830850 Skeletool CX Multitool: Home Improvement[/ame]

NWIeng

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Hammond
    Alrighty...I'll be the sissy answer this thread, but since he said simply a 'swiss army knife', I'm on board.

I've have had the super tiny model (you know....toothpick, tweezers, file, knife, and scissors) on my key chain for the last 10 years. I think I'm on my third one...none failed due to their own fault. Lost one, and the other one I cut open so many packaged boxes and never bothered to clean or sharpen it, so away it went.

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    Carried one ever since I was a kid and watched McGyver...lol But I got a nice leatherman for X-mass so ive been carrying it since then.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Victoriox Tinker rules.

The can openers on Victorinox knives > *.*

Bought Tinkers for my boys too.

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    i dont yet but i really like this one [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zApUSw0xsRY]YouTube - Victorinox - Swiss Army Knife - Rescue Tool[/ame]

seawolfxix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2009
    Kansas City
    Does Wenger count too? Mostly I carry a Victorinox Classic on my keychain, but I've had a few of the Wenger equivalents over the years too. Theirs had serrated scissor blades, which I really liked. You don't see many in stores though (if they even make them anymore).

The website lists them as the Esquire: Esquire 16940 Wenger Swiss Army Knife

...but the serrations on the scissor blades can only be seen if you zoom in on the picture.

SgtChromeDome

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I've been carrying a Victorinox Tinker for over 21 years & even misplaced the original for a while. I immediately bought another one, then stumbled across my original, so I keep a spare around the house. I couldn't begin to count the number of times someone has asked for a flat or phillips-head screwdriver, and I've fished my Tinker out & handed it over.

kobra

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    I have carried a swiss army knife for at least 20 years. Have a Huntsman lite ruby in my left pocket and a Gerber Legend on my right hip. Use both everyday. The only thing I don't like about me Huntsman is the flashlight. The flashlight kept getting turned on in my pocket. Finally gave up on the light.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Bought a Swiss Champ in 1977 (?) and have used it all over the world. Carry it and a Gerber tool pretty much all the time when I'm in the woods. It's been used to fix tools, cars, people and animals.

Bob

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Victorinox actually bought Wenger. The parent company is "Swiss Army Brands."

Victorinox is "the original Swiss Army Knife."

Wenger is the "genuine Swiss Army Knife."

Both of them (until recently) made the standard issue for the Swiss army/militia in 50/50 numbers. The two versions of the "soldier" are essentially the same, except the Wenger version has a hole through it for a lanyard, and at one time had a "bale" (I think it's called), the big metal ring that you could attach to something.

The current issue knife if a one-handed opening knife that locks open and has several tools in addition. It's similar to the knife the German Army has been issuing recently, which was the impetus for the change (because it's a cool knife).

In the past, Victorniox was (in my opinion), slightly higher quality. The tools were thicker and more robust and they just seemed sturdier. Wenger knives were and are excellent tools, however. The fundamental differences between the two lines are primarily cosmetic as well as minor differences in tool design. For instance, the Vic scissors use a leaf spring that can and will break (but it can be easily replaced). The Wenger scissors use one of the main springs of the knife itself instead, which theoretially makes them a little sturdier. In practice, I've found the Vic scissors to work better, especially when new.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    If I'm not carrying my grandfather's pocket knife, I've generally got one on me.

Also wear a Wenger watch, fwiw.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T

Yeah, this blade cuts like you wouldn't believe. I couldn''t believe the performance when I started cutting things I expected to have to saw through only to slice through them easily.

I hadn't seen that video before, but I do specifically carry it in case I need to cut seat belts off me or a family member in a crisis.

Top Bottom