Who has actually compared trigger of PM9/CM9 to LC9s ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I carry a G17 as much as I can but I have situations where I need to carry much more discretely. A PM9 has been filling that role for five years. While I like the PM9, I'd like to consider a switch to something as close in size as I can get to the Kahr, but with a trigger that is perhaps a little closer to what I get in other striker fired pistols in terms of length of reset, etc. For reasons I don't want to get into in this thread I'm currently not considering options like the Shield or XDs. I want to stick with 9mm so I'm not considering .380 pistols.

The gun that has caught my eye as being very close in size to the Kahr and reports say has a decent trigger is the LC9s. Anyone that has compared the PM9 or CM9 to the LC9s care to share your impressions of the differences in the triggers? Hopefully this is someone that has had the opportunity to shoot both guns and not just dry fire, but I'd like to hear about that too.

Thanks for your input. :ingo:

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I carry a G17 as much as I can but I have situations where I need to carry much more discretely. A PM9 has been filling that role for five years. While I like the PM9, I'd like to consider a switch to something as close in size as I can get to the Kahr, but with a trigger that is perhaps a little closer to what I get in other striker fired pistols in terms of length of reset, etc. For reasons I don't want to get into in this thread I'm currently not considering options like the Shield or XDs. I want to stick with 9mm so I'm not considering .380 pistols.

The gun that has caught my eye as being very close in size to the Kahr and reports say has a decent trigger is the LC9s. Anyone that has compared the PM9 or CM9 to the LC9s care to share your impressions of the differences in the triggers? Hopefully this is someone that has had the opportunity to shoot both guns and not just dry fire, but I'd like to hear about that too.

Thanks for your input. :ingo:

I've had a CM9 and an LC9 (and LCR). The Kahr has a smoother, more consistent pull while the LC9 has a slightly shorter pull - unfortunately marred by a sharp uptake.

The LC9 is pretty much just a terrible gun all around in my opinion. I wouldn't take another LCR, LCP, or LC9 for free.

Maybe the LC9s will suck a little less since it's a striker, but I doubt it.

None of those options are even comparable to the Shield in my opinion, but you've already ruled that out.

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    Actually have owned the LC9 and yes was not a fan of the trigger. I do own and enjoy my PM9 but just recently shot the LC9s and is a huge improvement compared to the LC9 and like you may consider the new Ruger offering! Really nice trigger!

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    Kahr has its own trigger pull you could change the springs but that means a lighter strike. Just not the way kahr is made unfortunately. While i love my K9 i really dislike the p380 but then again i dont think the pocket guns were really meant for plinking. But for a really baf situation in close proximity. Aka a chance to maybe get away.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    The Kahr is much smoother. Surprisingly both pistols are very accurate and reliable. I like Ruger, but have to go with the Kahr on this one.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    For reasons I don't want to get into in this thread I'm currently not considering options like the Shield or XDs.

Well, NOW you have me wondering :P

Back on your topic, though - I wonder if you'd be just as happy waiting a few months for the Glock single-stack 9mm we all theorize is coming down the pipe..

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    . . . I wonder if you'd be just as happy waiting a few months for the Glock single-stack 9mm we all theorize is coming down the pipe..

If that Glock were as small as the Kahr then I'd be all over it. Given that the G42 is already bigger than the the PM9, I don't hold out hope that the 9mm will be smaller than that. In this one instance smaller is better ;) If the LC9s isn't what I hope it might be, then I will look at the others, but the Ruger appears to be closest to same size as the Kahr. Don't get me wrong. In many ways I love my PM9, but I just don't shoot it as accurately as my other larger pistols. I believe the issue is the trigger pull and I've worked at it, but just can't consistently overcome it. If I could get the same size package with shorter uptake and shorter reset, I think it would go a long way to being a more accurate piece for me.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    The LC9s wasn't out when I got my Shield, so I never had a chance to look at it as a comparison really. Google says the Shield is 1/10'' longer/taller than the LC9s, so I'd really put the two on fairly equal size field there. XDs is shorter but longer, but not by much. I really think the Glock is going to be on par in the same size range with the other 9mms in the pack, within reason of course. Your PM9 is really the mousegun size of 9mm - if you really want that same size, you're looking along the lines of some spendy guns like the Rohrbaugh R9, Boberg XR9-S, and the Kimber Solo Carry (all of which are way more expensive than anything we've talked about). Never handled any of those, but they're out there and they're tiny 9mm, more along the lines of the size of the Kahr than anything else.

None of which matters if you don't like the trigger of course.. and people argue the virtues of each trigger with feverish passion. Me personally, I think the XDs has the closest trigger to your average Glock (YMMV, of course) and would be my pick if I were to shop today. I can't speak for any of the other triggers (though on those fancy expensive guns they ought to be good..
    )

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    The Shield guys are going to like this post to my thread :)

So I spent time Friday making the rounds to get my hands on a LC9s to fondle it and dry fire the trigger. Found one and overall I didn't like the way it felt in my hand. Trigger didn't feel that good either. I had already made plans to meet my son-in-law at the Beech Grove range Friday afternoon as he wanted to try out my PPQ. I called him to arrange the time and while on the phone I explained my disappointment with the LC9s. He said "you just need to get a Shield". I said I'd like to shoot one again before buying one (I have shot one but it's been awhile). He said his boss has one and he would see if he could borrow it and bring it to the BG range. He brought it. What I didn't know is that this Shield has the Apex trigger replacement kit with sear and the aluminum trigger. :wow: I can't describe how nice it felt. I know this doesn't represent an out of the box Shield, but I did really like way the overall package worked in my hand.

When we were done he said, "So, you going to buy a Shield on the way out?" I joked and said "Well, if they have a Shield 9 WITHOUT the safety in the case, it's going home with me". I thought I was safe because I figured if they had one it would have the safety. He walked over to the case, looked, turned, smiled, and said "Get your card out". Sure enough they had one. It's now at my house.

ShieldwithPPQG17_zps6e205cae.jpg

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I have to agree. I don't care for the LC9. My dad had one and he didn't care for it either.

I've coonfingered a Shield before and it was a nice firearm. Good choice!

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I think some of you are confusing the LC9 with the LC9s.
    The 's' model is a completely different trigger.
    I tried an LC9 (a local shop in Bedford) and an LC9s (Bradis) and the 's' is light years different and better.
    I haven't gotten to actually shoot one yet, but the trigger is shorter and lighter than my PM9 and just as smooth (as far as I could tell in the store).

Tac45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    SS
    I'm kind of late to the show, but my father in law has a CW9, which for what it is has a very nice smooth trigger pull. That being said I would buy the LC9S in a heartbeat over the Kahr pistols.

We shot the LC9 at the range in Greenfield, and hated it...then tried out the trigger on an LC9S they had for sale and it was like a whole new gun. Quite an improvement over the CW9 and a vast improvement over the LC9.

Tac45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    SS
    Well the Kahr has a double action trigger that is significantly heavier than the Ruger LC9S. It is very smooth, but it is heavier, and longer length of pull.
    The LC9S has a much shorter length of pull before BOOM, and is a much lighter weight pull. Go check out the two and compare. The Kahr makes the LC9S feel like a nice single action trigger by comparison.

Not that the Kahr is bad...it is still IMO much better than the hammer fired LC9.

LC9S>Kahr>LC9

My $0.02 :)

Top Bottom