Who else is working on Christmas this year?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    This will be my 2nd Christmas in a row on duty. If you add up the last decade between the fire department and military I think I have only been "home" for Christmas 3 times. Not a big deal and its a part of the job, just wondering who else is giving up family time because of work this year and what it is you do.

dmonsche

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2013
    For the past few years I worked in radio. I had to run the board and monitor the signal christmas/thanksgiving/etc. This year I'm off!

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I am not, but only by sheer luck. My work is open 24/7/365, but my days off just happen to be Tuesday and Wednesday making me off Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Years Eve, and New Years Day this year. Of course, that's 24 hours of time and a half I'm missing out on. :(

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    I'm working both the 24th and 25th. This way others can enjoy their holidays. I'm working nights so I'll be home by 6am the 25th, and have all day to spend with the family....of course the 60 hours of pay for working 24 hours helps pay for those Christmas gifts...

AJBB87

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Here
    I will be. My regular weekends are Thursday and Friday nights. However, I am covering the 26th for a co-worker taking the week off. Oh boy...

I am a babysitter/door unlocker/driver/greeter/trash collector at a southside hospital and I hope I see none of you on Christmas Eve.

Last edited:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Just by luck I'm off. My work week is Fri to Mon. But I still get paid for Christmas eve and day and New years eve and day!

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    This will be my 2nd Christmas in a row on duty. If you add up the last decade between the fire department and military I think I have only been "home" for Christmas 3 times. Not a big deal and its a part of the job, just wondering who else is giving up family time because of work this year and what it is you do.

I'm glad you replaced "working" with "on duty." :stickpoke: I'll be logged on a beat, but I don't know how much actual police work will get done. I'm sure I'll be playing referree/babysitter for all the dysfunctional families that decide they need to invite the man into their lives. Holidays are always good for that.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    Not I. My last day is Dec 20th and will not return til Jan 6th. I need to find some trouble to get into :):
    Im a quality assurance supervisor.

Last edited:

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    My work also runs 24/7/365 but shut down for a few holidays depending on steel orders. I was supposed to work both 24th and 25th but the mill is closing down so now I have it off.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My wife will be working 24-27 Dec. this year. RN and a local nursing care facility. The old folks need to cleaned, fed, medicated, and loved. It is hard on the old ones, at least those who can still remember, when their family forgets or only comes for an hour. Wife manages to brighten their day a bit with her smile, little acts of kindness, and prayers—she can do that because it is a private facility built for folks of like precious faith.

Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th
    My wife will be working 24-27 Dec. this year. RN and a local nursing care facility. The old folks need to cleaned, fed, medicated, and loved. It is hard on the old ones, at least those who can still remember, when their family forgets or only comes for an hour. Wife manages to brighten their day a bit with her smile, little acts of kindness, and prayers—she can do that because it is a private facility built for folks of like precious faith.

As a fellow husband of an RN, I can relate. There are times she gets frustrated by her job, but she wants to be there for her people. A thankless job that not many can do. I know I couldn't. She's off Christmas this year, but will be there Christmas Eve.

As for myself, Tues-Weds. are my normal days off, but I volunteered (not volun-told even!) to put in a few hours Christmas Day in the evening. But I work from home, so it's not a huge deal. I can come back to the office, sign in and help folks with their Christmas gifts that they haven't a clue how to setup for a few hours, all while still enjoying being with the family. And OT on top of holiday pay and holiday shutdown pay, well, I can't resist. We've been very fortunate this year, so I don't mind it.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I will be on call.
    My lack of work ethics and dedication to the company that is laying us off are getting me to the point I will not answer the phone anymore.
    But the only people that would be calling are people that locked up their email accounts so they can print a coupon.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I was a bachelor with no relatives in the area for about 15 years. I would always volunteer to work family holidays so that people with kids could enjoy their families. I would often score double shifts both days. I would still get my holiday pay plus I would get overtime pay for 16 hours each day. Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter. Serious cash on that paycheck.

In the summer when I needed extra time for the Nationals at Camp Perry, I could usually get the guys that enjoyed Christmas because I worked their shift to cover my extra shifts in August. Win, Win, Win. can't beat it.

Top Bottom