Who else here has "rediscovered" hammer fired?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Or, rather more specifically, DAO hammer fired?

Background. Long, long ago, I cut my teeth on revolvers (back in the early 90s). I played around with semis, but then, with the exception of the G19 Gen 2 I had briefly, everything was hammer fired. Whether it was Beretta 92s, third-gen Smith autos, even the one and only CZ clone I ever had, an early EAA witness, they just never really clicked for me. Small hands with short fingers just didn't like the long heavy pull of the first shot - but not for the reasons most cite. It was simply a matter of reach.

AND, back then, wheel guns were cheaper (oh, to know then what I know now!). So, my guns all went to wheel guns. Smaller grips, smooth double action pulls, the joy. And my stubby little fingers easily reached.

And, as I've recently rediscovered, having a firm consistent effort from start to finish on my trigger movement is conducive to my accuracy.

Bought wifey and I Sig P250s last weekend, then a 290RS yesterday. We as a family have discovered our shooting nirvana, contrary to the majority of the shooting community, it seems.

I can only duplicate my DAO shooting from these guns with great concentration on my part from the striker guns out there today - no stacking, consistent effort...

I know, I'm nuts. I'm eschewing the oh so holy striker for the old-fashioned.

Who's with me? Does anyone else shoot better DAO with their revolver or auto than the "new" stuff?

Point of reference: first mag, cold, of the day with my new P290 RS at 7 yards offhand...

e3ee2967d48c405e13ed9ef2eb9e5385.jpg

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I understand the rationale behind a DAO, but I still prefer my traditional DA/SA third generation S&W operation.
    It's always puzzled me why so many people are put off by the long first pull and the shorter succeeding pulls in normal firing mode.
    To me, it's not hard at all to adjust to it, and it just makes perfect sense to me for a defensive situation: long and heavy first pull to avoid accidental firing in the heat of a situation, then short and light pulls to put more lead downrange as rapidly as possible

Last edited:

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Have had at least one DAO hammer-fired for decades, so have never stopped using them.

Is it 'different' than striker-fired or hammer-fired DA/SA? Sure, but nothing that's 'difficult'. Maybe it's just me as I 'chewed my teeth' on using revolvers in DA mode (even DA/SA models).

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I never got away from it. The only time I've carried a non external hammer fired gun is when the department made me. I prefer DA/SA but do just fine with DAO as well.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I never left Hammer Fired. I shoot revolvers mostly. I own TWO striker fired weapons. I do shoot them but by far I prefer and shoot more hammer fired (pistols & revolvers) than anything else.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Wesnellans, it looks like we have the similar background and taste in handguns. I too was started on revolvers, then I moved on to find the "perfect" auto. I own a 92FS I bought many, many years ago....... close but not perfect. A year or so back, bought a Sig P250 Compact and most recently, the Sig 209RS. While I shoot the 290RS very well (for me), I still haven't found the love for the P250 trigger, to the point it remains unfired to this day.
    My preference still remains DA/SA, hammer fired and preferably with a decocker, to the point I'm considering sending it off to Wilson Combat and having it made decocker only. I too love the smooth, double action pull, I just think I enjoy it more from a revolver than a slide gun, the 290RS being the exception.
    Congrats on the shooting sports being a family event, the world sure could use more of that.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    The Sig P250C in 9mm was my first carry gun. I don't carry it anymore because I prefer striker fired for carry but the 250C is still one of the best ways I know to teach someone a smooth trigger pull. I bring it to the range for slow fire drills and an ego booster because I'm a lot more accurate with it than my M&P 9C.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I started with striker fired, but in the last few months have migrated over to hammer fired. Pretty much the only guns I shoot or carry now are hammer fired. 1911's or my CZ 75B. As we get into nicer weather, I'll probably carry my Shield 9mm until I can find a nice carry 1911 that I like and won't break the bank. I agree with you, there's just something about the hammer fired guns that I really like. I'm actually thinking of selling 2 or 3 of my striker fired... :):

JS1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    Good question. I've recently returned to hammer-fired with my new wheel gun. My first one was a S&W 625 years ago, but that got sold when I needed cash. I was down to my G21 for a good bit of time, but now I have a revolver to go with it.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I've never owned a striker fired gun. I have shot many of them and can see why they appeal to people. They just aren't for me.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Everything I own, save for a couple of XDm compacts, is hammer fired. I just discovered wheel guns last summer, and while I am a fan of hammer-fired semi-autos (ala a CZ P-01, and a 1911), I have become a HUGE fan of revolvers. For carry, though, I really like my XDm compacts, and I have a DAO S&W 640 that carries beautifully... no exposed hammers to snag when carrying AIWB.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    The pleasure of hammer fired pistols never evaded me. Some of my favorites are, Sig P226, Jericho 941, FNP-9 and perhaps my very favorite CZ 75B. I will have to admit I do not practice shooting double action. And I should. In general the trigger on hammer fired guns seem to be much better to me. I have some striker fired handguns that have work done to them and I love them. Right out of the box the HK VP9 and Walter PPQ are sweet. But out of the box with the exception of a few striker fired guns the hammer fired is the best trigger system to me.

Top Bottom