• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I know 42769vette was working on some sort of laser engraving, but not sure if he's up to doing it for others though. Might wanna shoot him a PM and see if he can help you out.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    i am using laserscribe on the southside of indy to do my sbr lower. I am also have them add "dont tread on me" to it also.

Make sure that the laser can penetrate the surface of the receiver by a minimum of .003. Most commercial lasers do not go deep enough to meet the requirements set by the ATF for manufacture engraving. :twocents:

Also to the OP, Class 3 sales set up their laser at the last 1500 and was doing engraving for people.

dieselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Bloomington
    Make sure that the laser can penetrate the surface of the receiver by a minimum of .003. Most commercial lasers do not go deep enough to meet the requirements set by the ATF for manufacture engraving. :twocents:
    /quote]

Why on earth would the ATF care about engraving depth? I believe you, just curious...

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    /quote]

Why on earth would the ATF care about engraving depth? I believe you, just curious...

if its a dont tread on me or a cosmetic thing they dont care.... if its for legal requirements like an SBR then it has to be deep enough that it will be permanent and still visible if painted over.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    Sorry, my first comment was about the laser engraving concerning the manufacture of an SBR.

Like Indy GunWorks said, if it is a cosmetic engraving like the "don't tread on me" then the depth is irrelevant.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    roger that, my name etc. will be deeper than the rest of the engraving "dont tread on me" 2 different depths. These guys have been around for awhile and he has done many, he's an ar guy also. But thanks for the advice, i have been caught with my pants down once or twice....:D

Also to the OP, Class 3 sales set up their laser at the last 1500 and was doing engraving for people.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    ok, just got it back today for $70 out the door. The name is deeper than necessary (deeper than .003) and the rest is not quite as deep, I am very happy with how it turned out.:rockwoot:
    DSC_0845.jpg

Flitmob

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    I had a trophy shop south of fall creek on Keystone engrave my buddies initials on a shotgun. I gave it to him as a wedding present. He liked it a lot and it looked good. It was really cheap, like 20 or 30 bucks

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    How long does it take them to do the engraving and how do you bring them a custom design? Do you need to bring it in on paper, a memory card or thumbdrive for a computer image, or what? I have considered getting some done as well.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    How long does it take them to do the engraving and how do you bring them a custom design? Do you need to bring it in on paper, a memory card or thumbdrive for a computer image, or what? I have considered getting some done as well.

most images can be done with any of the above. if im brought a hand drawing i can scan it in and do simple mods to the design

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    Honestly, it took about a month from when i dropped it off to today. He did remind me that I told him, i wasn't in a hurry, so he put it on the back burner. To find the image i'm sure all of what you said is fine, i just had him google it on his computer and that was it. I thought about doing a dozen other logos and designs (my family crest) after i dropped it off, I guess i'll just have to get another one done.:D

Top Bottom