• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmancobra

Plinker
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    kokomo
    I have noveske gen 2 lower on the way for a build. im in the kokomo area and was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere within an hour or so distance that can do the engraving. I've heard some jewelry stores can do but I really would prefer someone who's done lowers before. Any help is appreciated.

amafrank

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Why don't you have the upper or the barrel engraved and save your expensive lower? The regs permit you to put all of the info except for the serial number on the barrel, the frame or the receiver. On an AR the upper, the barrel or the lower can be engraved with the required info and most guys don't want to have to grind off their name etc if they sell the rifle. Its just as easy to engrave any of the parts so choose as you see fit.

Frank

jmancobra

Plinker
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    kokomo
    Why don't you have the upper or the barrel engraved and save your expensive lower? The regs permit you to put all of the info except for the serial number on the barrel, the frame or the receiver. On an AR the upper, the barrel or the lower can be engraved with the required info and most guys don't want to have to grind off their name etc if they sell the rifle. Its just as easy to engrave any of the parts so choose as you see fit.

Frank

I plan on having one lower with 2 uppers.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009

Frank

If you have the upper or barrel engraved, you can not seperate them without being noncompliant with the regs. Engraving the lower can be done easily, there are several reputable companies that do it, and the results are great.

I recommend Ident Marking in TX.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Edit to add link (too difficult to post link from tablet last night). Here is a thread (right here on INGO) that is a fairly comprehensive list of engravers, take a look at it and the feedback and make your decision there. https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/class-iii-nfa/191412-list-engravers-nfa-sbr.html

INGO member SP3worker does engraving... top notch guy, good engraving, very good pricing... I recommend him. He's in the Ft Wayne area but he can take shipments. Quick turn-around from what I recall...

Laserscribe, last I knew, didn't have an FFL so legally you must stay with the lower while it is being engrave.

As for Ident Marking, I personally think the owners are asshats. They may do good work, and that may be all that's important to you, but I won't support a company owned by disrespectful jerks that act like they're 5 years old ... But that is only my opinion, I have never had any work done by them... I've heard a lot of good about their business... just seems like a jekyll and hyde type of thing where their personal life is completely different from their business life...

Either way, I think it's best to support Indiana companies so I recommend sending to one of the local engravers.

Frank
    This is fine until you want to swap barrels or somthing then you have to re-engrave.

If you have the upper or barrel engraved, you can not seperate them without being noncompliant with the regs. Engraving the lower can be done easily, there are several reputable companies that do it, and the results are great.

I don't think that would be accurate. If you have a registered SBR, and you temporarily return it to a Title I weapon (by adding 16+" barrel) it no longer falls under the purview of the NFA and you can transport interstate etc without a 5320.20. I don't believe there are any rulings or letters regarding the engraving but I would imagine that similar to the letters regarding interstate transport when in Title I configuration the engraving wouldn't be required when in Title I configuration. Of course this is just speculation on how I think Tech-branch would rule based upon previous letters.

Last edited:

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan

+1 for Ident they do excellent work just don't expect a quick turn around time.

thecolter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    Indiana
    +1 for Laserscribe! It looks excellent and they are great to work with.

9277562100_105f18b9f6_b.jpg

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Edit to add link (too difficult to post link from tablet last night). Here is a thread (right here on INGO) that is a fairly comprehensive list of engravers, take a look at it and the feedback and make your decision there. https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/class-iii-nfa/191412-list-engravers-nfa-sbr.html

INGO member SP3worker does engraving... top notch guy, good engraving, very good pricing... I recommend him. He's in the Ft Wayne area but he can take shipments. Quick turn-around from what I recall...

Laserscribe, last I knew, didn't have an FFL so legally you must stay with the lower while it is being engrave.

As for Ident Marking, I personally think the owners are asshats. They may do good work, and that may be all that's important to you, but I won't support a company owned by disrespectful jerks that act like they're 5 years old ... But that is only my opinion, I have never had any work done by them... I've heard a lot of good about their business... just seems like a jekyll and hyde type of thing where their personal life is completely different from their business life...

Either way, I think it's best to support Indiana companies so I recommend sending to one of the local engravers.

This is fine until you want to swap barrels or somthing then you have to re-engrave.

I don't think that would be accurate. If you have a registered SBR, and you temporarily return it to a Title I weapon (by adding 16+" barrel) it no longer falls under the purview of the NFA and you can transport interstate etc without a 5320.20. I don't believe there are any rulings or letters regarding the engraving but I would imagine that similar to the letters regarding interstate transport when in Title I configuration the engraving wouldn't be required when in Title I configuration. Of course this is just speculation on how I think Tech-branch would rule based upon previous letters.

You are correct, I should've been more clear. I should've said, no other short-barrel configuration would be compliant with regulations if you take off the part that has the engraving. You're right that you can temporarily return the firearm to Title I and transport it across state lines as Title I if you leave the short stuff at home.

With the modularity of the AR platform, engraving the upper or barrel is a bad idea. Engrave the lower in an inconspicuous spot. In front of the magwell or inside the trigger guard.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    The lettering is well done but it is rather large. I had Ident do mine in the same place and it is maybe half that size.

You, as the customer, can spec the size of writing... Maybe he wanted it that large? This isn't a pissing match between Ident and Laserscribe, it's a "where can I get my lower engraved?" thread... I do believe Laserscribe can, and will engrave smaller if requested to do so. Either way, the size is rather irrelevant...

menzzer37

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Noblesville
    You, as the customer, can spec the size of writing... Maybe he wanted it that large? This isn't a pissing match between Ident and Laserscribe, it's a "where can I get my lower engraved?" thread... I do believe Laserscribe can, and will engrave smaller if requested to do so. Either way, the size is rather irrelevant...

No, there is a legal minimum specified by the ATF. All characters must be at least 1/16" in height and .003" deep. I've still yet to see anyone show the depth of the laser engraving at .003". I never see it burn past the anodized layer which is .0007" deep.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    No, there is a legal minimum specified by the ATF. All characters must be at least 1/16" in height and .003" deep. I've still yet to see anyone show the depth of the laser engraving at .003". I never see it burn past the anodized layer which is .0007" deep.

I don't know of anybody engraving smaller than 1/16" Most people don't even have that capability. rkwhyte2 was making the point that the engraving from Laserscribe was too large, which is a moot point. I'm very familiar with the engraving requirements. No need to lecture me on them. In this case size doesn't matter because I don't see anybody arguing about anything less than 1/16" tall.

Very few people have the lasers powerful enough to engrave deeper than the anodize layer because they cost over $20k. Laserscribe is one place that has several of those lasers. I have verified on my lower done by laserscribe that the engravig is about .006" deep.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Very few people have the lasers powerful enough to engrave deeper than the anodize layer

YAG lasers will, CO2 lasers won't. I happen to be sitting 50 feet from a YAG. If anybody in the greater Michiana area needs something done PM me. This is not our primary business, we are usually busy as hell, and we have no FFL, so you would have to be very flexible with scheduling but the price will be right. You know, case-o-beer for the operator, a few p-mags for me, and a thousand or so rounds of .223 for the owner and we will take care of ya.;)

menzzer37

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Noblesville
    I don't know of anybody engraving smaller than 1/16" Most people don't even have that capability. rkwhyte2 was making the point that the engraving from Laserscribe was too large, which is a moot point. I'm very familiar with the engraving requirements. No need to lecture me on them. In this case size doesn't matter because I don't see anybody arguing about anything less than 1/16" tall.

Very few people have the lasers powerful enough to engrave deeper than the anodize layer because they cost over $20k. Laserscribe is one place that has several of those lasers. I have verified on my lower done by laserscribe that the engravig is about .006" deep.
    What was the metrology method used? Could be useful for future checking.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan

You are correct this isn't a pissing match. If Laserscribe can make it smaller then personally that is what I would want but if somebody wants theirs a bit bigger well that is fine with me. I just work to get the engraving to be as unobtrusive as is possible.

Top Bottom