• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    My 10/22 (the first I've owned) is a good gun, awesomely reliable, but needs a few things to make me truly happy with it. Namely sights, new VQ (I think) hammer, and new stock.

I've decided to do the sights first. They are, frankly, horrible and verge on useless. I use the gun for small game hunting, plinking, and informal target shooting. Most shots take place from 20-50 yards, with a few going a little longer.

I'm considering the following sights:

Hi-Viz fiber optic sight set HIVIZ Sight Set Ruger 10/22 Steel Blue Fiber Optic Green - MidwayUSA

Williams WGRS-RU22 fiber optic peep sight Williams WGRS-RU22 Guide Receiver Peep Sight Set with Fire Sight Ruger 10/22 Aluminum Black - MidwayUSA

XS Ghost Ring Hunting Sight XS Ghost-Ring Hunting Sight Set Ruger 10/22 Steel Blue - MidwayUSA

Tech Site TSR100 Ruger® 10/22 Rifle - adjustable aperture sights

At the moment, I'm particularly intrigued by the Tech Sites since they also make the same set for the SKS. I've been pondering whether or not having the SKS and 10/22 set up with the same sights and same Tapco stocks would make the 10/22 a fairly decent "trainer" for the SKS.

Anybody have any first hand input on any of these sights? TIA

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I would go with the tech sights since you like apple seed so much.

?? I've not shot an Appleseed yet. I do know they are fond of the Tech sites, I reckon because they are similar to the M16/AR15 sights. In fact, that's another reason they caught my eye, since they are exactly what I had on my old M16s.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    ?? I've not shot an Appleseed yet. I do know they are fond of the Tech sites, I reckon because they are similar to the M16/AR15 sights. In fact, that's another reason they caught my eye, since they are exactly what I had on my old M16s.

My fault, for some reason I though you had mentioned a time or two that you were a fan of appleseed. They are great sights none the less.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    My fault, for some reason I though you had mentioned a time or two that you were a fan of appleseed. They are great sights none the less.

Don't feel bad redneckmedic, There are lots of us appleseeders.

I really like the tech sights and have been trying to order a set for my sks.

If you go with the tech sights, USE LOCKTITE. PLENTY OF IT.

Let us know what you decide to go with and how you like'em.

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    I have Tech-Sights on my Marlin 795 and I can't recommend them enough. From memory I would say about 3 inch groups off hand at 60ish yards. At 25 yards they are all in the ten ring with the occasional flyer. Using a front rest at 100 yards usually gets me about 4-5 inch groups.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Another vote for the Tech Sights. I have the TSR-100 on my 10\22 and really like them. They are simple and install very easily.

Yup, tech sights. Depending on your eye sight you may have to drill out the aperture though. Its kinda small in low light conditions.

I noticed that they came out with an insert aperture system for the TSR200 sights, so you can change out inserts if that's an issue.

Last edited:

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I love tech sights for target shooting and plinking, but they'd be useless tracking squirrels through the trees.

I disagree. They wouldn't be as optimum as a low powered scope maybe, but there aren't any irons out there that would be much better. Granted everyone has their own opinions on what works the best for them and different people like different set ups.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I need express-style sights to track through the trees. The field of view with the Tech Sites is just too limited. I don't mess with optics on squirrels.

Do you think one of the others would be better? I actually really liked the Williams fiber optic sights Cathy had on her little Rossi, but I've got some concerns about ruggedness, though her gun actually got knocked around a fair bit and the little fiber optic tubes never broke.

I actually hadn't considered the limited field of view of the aperture sights LOL. Thanks for pointing that out.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Williams' quality is way better than the knockoff's that Rossi uses - and they stand behind their stuff. Bottom line is you've gotta experiment and see what works. For me, something along the lines of what Williams makes for the BAR or Remington 700 would be just about perfect for small game - but not hot for target.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Tech sites

The tech sites are a tough piece of work. :yesway: I have a set on a CZ452 full stock that I bored out the aperture on for squirrel hunting. I think you'll like them, Joe. I have a williams peep that fits My savage/anschutz that is not nearly as robust. my:twocents:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I've never had a problem with using the stock sights that are on my 10/22. I use them just as much as the variable power scope I have mounted on "see through" rings, when I am out squirrel hunting, rabbit hunting, etc.

Top Bottom