• Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Requirements:
    18+volts
    hammer drill setting (will not be used as primary function but the option is needed/wanted)
    2 batteries
    Combo packs are ok as long as the above are met in some way.

Intended uses are around the home and garage.
    I do have dedicated impacts as well as a corded DeWalt drill as well.

:ingo:

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Requirements:

Makita Lit-ION combo pack drill / driver , about $200 bucks from home depot .
    18+volts Yes
    hammer drill setting (will not be used as primary function but the option is needed/wanted) No , but the driver functions the same way anyhow
    2 batteries Yes
    Combo packs are ok as long as the above are met in some way.

Intended uses are around the home and garage.
    I do have dedicated impacts as well as a corded DeWalt drill as well.

:ingo:

It comes with a 15 minute fast charger . Had this combo pack for a few years now and it's never let me down .

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I would got de walt or millwakee. I have de walt stuff.

For hammer drills i prefer corded SDS Hilti stuff. For home used light work a bosch bulldog SDS hammer drill is the ****, SDS drills are just so much better with the hammer stuff.

It has been my experance that the dewalt cordless hammer/regular drill mess up on the clutch if used alot as a hammer drill.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I've only needed a hammer drill once and not sure I really needed it, but it was the only setting that drove the security screws in.

So use would be minimal and a dedicated unit would be over kill for me.
    Most of my power tools are DeWalt, but I am open to other brands.

BuckeyeBrad

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    THE Ville
    A lot of guys at work are switching to Rigid because of the warranty on them. Free lifetime replacement for tools and batteries is what I've been told.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    I've seen Dewalt 18v cordless drill w/2 batteries on sale recently at both Ace Hardware and Home Depot for $99. Great drill - great price. (Price out a new battery and they are $65 ea. making this an even better buy.)

Last edited:

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    13 years of abusing them at work and home. I wont buy anything now that didnt have a lithium battery. It would be really dumb move to do so. The life and power compared to NiMh or NiCd is unreal. As far as hammer drills the rigid hold up the best in cordless from experience. But rigid, dewalt, Milwaukee are the top guys.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Look at the various models each company makes and be realistic abt the amount of use it will see. If you intend to use it multiple times a week, get a professional grade model. Also look closely at warranties. I won't say it isn't possible, I've been out of the tool sales game a couple years, but any cordless tool with a warranty longer than 2 years would be very uncommon. Also common to warranty the tool longer than the batteries.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    Milwaukee or Dewalt.... Both work well. Spring for lithium ion batteries.

+1 Both dependable and rugged. Rigid gets respectable reviews as well.

I've only needed a hammer drill once and not sure I really needed it...

It is like having 4 wheel drive capability. When you do need it, there is no substitute. If you have to drill in masonry or concrete, with the proper bits, hammer drills take the work out of that task.

church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    Milwaukee all the way. I can't tear them up. Bosche makes pretty nice stuff too, I've got a couple of their corded saws I use, they're incredibly smooth.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    ... Bosche makes pretty nice stuff too, I've got a couple of their corded saws I use, they're incredibly smooth.

I have no experience with their drills. Severall years ago, I did buy a Bosch Panther reciprocating saw that I still have and seems to love hard use/abuse. If their current line of drills are of similar quality, this could be a good choice as well.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I'm weird but I've always had good luck with my Makita tools. Just bought the 18volt combo. Love it. I've been using/abusing Makita tools for 20yrs.

Kernal1984

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Scottsburg
    Hard to beat rigids lifetime warranty on the tool and batteries that's what I use personally.

Milwakee stuff seems to be tops as far as build quality and durability and dewalt would be close behind.

Keep in mind the same parent company produces rigid, milwakee, and makita and dewalt is actually made by black and decker.

Cordless hammer drills are a bummer and have never had one last anytime at all and will second the sds hammer recommendation. Bosch, dewalt, makita, and hitachi all make a sub 200$ sds hammer that will last and last.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I know this isn't popular... But in my limited experience have found some dewalt tools to be junk. I have a craftsman 19.2v drill that I've owned for 10 years and works great. No impact setting though. We were in Montana when it was 0F doing construction and the dewalt drills drained themselves very quickly in those conditions. My drill just kept on going. I'm on my third battery for it and love every little bit. Heh, bit.

Top Bottom