• Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Looking at the CMP web-site at Garands.

I see they have a "service grade" example in two different manufacturers.

H&R (Harrington & Richardson) and Springfield. They are out of Winchester service grade. :rolleyes:

Anyway, if you had your choice, would it be Springfield, or H&R, and please let me know why. This will be my introduction to the Garand, so I don't want a bad example.

BTW- Both H&R and the Springfield are going for $625 + $8.95 s/h

Is this a decent price for field grade?

Thanks

woody131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Morgantown
    M1 garands are addicting and they keep going up in price every year.I dont think that the exact manufacturer is that important unless you get into a collector grade you have to remember that these guns have all been armored at one point in time and there are few correct parts on them. I have two CMP`s ones a springfield and one winchester and another springfield thats not. I enjoy shooting all of them and they shoot about the same. I would sugguest getting the highest grade you can afford and will never lose money on a M1 the value just keeps going up.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    There is no real difference between the two for a shooting rifle.

Select whichever one you feel like owning. They will send you a quality rifle either way. There is no way to tell what parts either might have, if collector interest is a priority for you.

Yes, if that is the current price, $625 is a good price. I thought shipping and handling was $24.95 though. I admit I have not been to the CMP website for a while.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    There is no real difference between the two for a shooting rifle.

Select whichever one you feel like owning. They will send you a quality rifle either way. There is no way to tell what parts either might have, if collector interest is a priority for you.

Yes, if that is the current price, $625 is a good price. I thought shipping and handling was $24.95 though. I admit I have not been to the CMP website for a while.

You are correct on shipping charges. I was reading their update on shipping charge increases as of Jan 1 2012 and typed the wrong amount. The $8.95 is now for orders over $100 (excluding firearms), $6.95 for orders under $100.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Looking at the CMP web-site at Garands.

I see they have a "service grade" example in two different manufacturers.

H&R (Harrington & Richardson) and Springfield. They are out of Winchester service grade. :rolleyes:

Anyway, if you had your choice, would it be Springfield, or H&R, and please let me know why. This will be my introduction to the Garand, so I don't want a bad example.

BTW- Both H&R and the Springfield are going for $625 + $8.95 s/h

Is this a decent price for field grade?

Thanks

The service grades are very nice, current ones are all Greek returns I believe. They look brand new(My Brother has about 12 service grades). If it was my first Garand I think I would go with the H&R, just because there were less made. Aside from the name on the heal there is no real difference. Most will be arsenal refinished and be a mix of parts anyway. If you plan on turning it into a correct grade H&R parts will probably be more expensive to change.
    The bottom of your post about field grades, I got mine a few years ago, Wood is dark, metal is faded, shoots great. When I bought mine FG's were something like $495 + s/h, I went to the North Store and picked mine out, you get to bring them home with you.
    Either grade would be in servicable condition. If you opt for the FG I would make the trip to the North store and pick it out yourself. You can "borrow" a MW and a TE guage at the store plus they will help you get a good one.
    If I can answer anything else from my limited experiance with the CMP I'll do my best to help.

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    ^^^this^^^

it is only about 3.5 hours to the north store (by sandusky, oh). The armors there will help you pick out a rifle with the best barrel. Picked up a service grade this year and was able to get a +1,+2. Get some ammo while you are there, if they have any left, that is. Shooting modern cartridges in you m1 could bend your operating rod without an adjustable gas plug. Also the surplus stuff is the cheapest ammo around at $0.50/round.

Nothing like picking out your own rifle...:twocents:

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    Any one you can get!

Actually, you might want to go with the H&R. I have a correct grade Springfield and a Winchester mixmaster, both are about the same. What I am really wanting next is an IHC.

Stryker Action

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2011
    Don't buy one with out going to the CMP and checking them. Most of the guns they call service grade the barrels are shot out. Last time we were there we checked probably 65-75 guns at the muzzle and only 2 were less than a 4 and most were 5 and needed new barrels. Thats not even taking into account of throat erosion. If you do want to order one you will have better luck with the H&R in my experiance. Almost like they were not used as much. Or ask them for a pumpin H&R. They all checked out great but the stocks are a weird orangish color. Then just change the stock out. Or sand it down and refinish it. You should be able to find a descent garand at a show for around the same money and can check it out. The garand market is at a low $$ right now and is a great time to buy. Only safe buy at CMP are the correct grade that I beleive are $1500 or their rebuilt ones at $995 which are real nice and great shooters.

Just my 2 cents. But I have been there a bunch of times and seen it first hand.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    I think the h&r is supposed to be the best quality. I have a correct one and it is awesome. Whatever you do check for barrel erosion, CMP has the gauges to use or barrow some. For that matter take the guy who has the gauges, anyone who is that serious will be invaluable, this is what I did.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    As said either will serve you well. I don't remember the production numbers, but I'd say it is a safe bet that there were alot more Springfields produced.

I don't know this to be fact, but I have been told more than once that CMP often ships better rifles than what they keep on the floor. Always? I don't know about that. But at times, maybe. I've never been there. I do know that the rifles that they ship are in decent+ condition.

I have one of those pumpkin stocks and was going to refinish it. In the end I decided to just leave it be. It works.

If you buy a Garand order a set of springs from someone like Orion7 and replace all of them.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    ALL SERVICE GRADES will have a MW of 3 or less....most are going to be well under that despite what anyone says. An I've never seen or heard of anyone getting a MW of more than 2, many are 1 an less. SA or HR is your choice. Guys buying at the N. Store are saying many of the SA SG have many HR parts, an the HR's have almost all HR parts so I would go for a HR myself unless I could fine a WWII s/n SG SA.
    A guy bought 3 SG at N. Store this week an one has TIGER STRIPE stock...wow!!! It is nice!!! Guys saying these SG are better than last fall's SG, an they said that those had been the best in long time......snag one up. I'm itching bad to go to N.Store an check em out...!!!!

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Don't buy one with out going to the CMP and checking them. Most of the guns they call service grade the barrels are shot out. Last time we were there we checked probably 65-75 guns at the muzzle and only 2 were less than a 4 and most were 5 and needed new barrels. Thats not even taking into account of throat erosion. If you do want to order one you will have better luck with the H&R in my experiance. Almost like they were not used as much. Or ask them for a pumpin H&R. They all checked out great but the stocks are a weird orangish color. Then just change the stock out. Or sand it down and refinish it. You should be able to find a descent garand at a show for around the same money and can check it out. The garand market is at a low $$ right now and is a great time to buy. Only safe buy at CMP are the correct grade that I beleive are $1500 or their rebuilt ones at $995 which are real nice and great shooters.

Just my 2 cents. But I have been there a bunch of times and seen it first hand.

I've been there, an are you saying this about SERVICE GRADES? I'm betting your looking at the RACK grades that may have a MW of over 3. I've never even found a FEILD grade that had a MW of over 3.

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    as everyone else is saying i would just choose the one you like best when looking at them if you were to go there. if ordered online they are all pretty much the same as far as im concerned. i have an h&r and i love it. but i have been told the cmp prices are going up this year to $700 + for a service grade. so i would hurry up and get one before the price goes up.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    as everyone else is saying i would just choose the one you like best when looking at them if you were to go there. if ordered online they are all pretty much the same as far as im concerned. i have an h&r and i love it. but i have been told the cmp prices are going up this year to $700 + for a service grade. so i would hurry up and get one before the price goes up.

You are correct. Prices just went up, but SG are only 625.00...thank goodness it only went up 30.00. Effective Jan.1st....I don't see them raising it any higher for awhile.

Packrat67

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Greenwood
    I have a both an H & R and a Springfield Service Grades. Not much difference between them. Both are GREAT rifles. Nobody beats the CMP price or value. Advice to go to North Store is sound. Nothing like walking into a room full of quality Milsurps. Also having your new rifle in your hands is priceless

Top Bottom