Which leather gear to buy, Don Hume or Kirkpatrick?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    My wife has said that for Father's Day or our anniversary, she wants to buy me a nice, complete, matching set up for my guns. For quite some time I've been using mix and match set ups (right now, I've got my PT145 Pro in a black leather Don Hume JIT, with a black nylon mag holder, on a tan nylon 5.11 belt) and am now looking forward to looking a bit more "professional," or at least less rag tag. A nice leather set up can't be beat for appearance and pride, IMHO.

Now I'm faced with a difficult choice of which set up I want. Gotta stick to $200 or less, and have two choices I really like.

The Don Hume set up gives me an extra holster, for a little less cost. I've long used Don Hume, and have been very satisfied with their products. OTOH, I've long had a lust affair with Kirkpatrick Leather. It just looks gorgeous to me. I only get one holster, but do get a magazine/flashlight holder, and like the belt better. I'd be particularly interested in hearing from users of Kirkpatrick products about their experiences and satisfaction with their gear.

So, which would ya'll choose BETWEEN THESE TWO? Advice regarding other gear isn't particularly germane to this discussion, especially if it doesn't involve leather gear. I've got zero interest in Kydex at this point.

What I'd get with Don Hume, all in saddle brown:

J.I.T. SLIDE [J.I.T. Slide] - $26.75 : Don Hume Leathergoods, manufactures high quality leather and nylon goods.

PCCH [P.C.C.H.] - $56.50 : Don Hume Leathergoods, manufactures high quality leather and nylon goods.

THE ELITE [The Elite] - $22.55 : Don Hume Leathergoods, manufactures high quality leather and nylon goods.

B109-L 1 1/2 [B109-L] - $54.00 : Don Hume Leathergoods, manufactures high quality leather and nylon goods.
    Total comes to about $160

What I'd get with Kirkpatrick, all in brown:

Kirkpatrick Concealment Leather Holsters - The Compact Under Cover

Concealment Accessories - Bikini Mag & Light Holder

Kirkpatrick Leather Belts - B-70 Belts
    Total comes to about $181

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i dont have any don hume. i DO have a kirkpatrick pancake holster for my 1911s. it is top notch. kirkpatrick has great customer service- i had the holster in 3 days (what i wanted was in stock).

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have Don Hume holsters for several pistols. All have fit well and I would recommend their products. For the price they simply can't be beat. I looked at the Kirkpatrick holster that you linked and I have to say that it looks excellent as well. I am in the market for another holster myself and I may have to do some more research on the Kirkpatrick products.

indybrad

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Have a Don Hume IWB for a HK usp 45c and VERT is right, for the money they can't be beat. Carry a G36 and got a Galco IWB and wish I would have gone with a Don Hume.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Grant County
    I've got two. Both are Kirkpatrick strong side. They hold the handgun very close to your side. Yet they stay open when gun is out so re-holstering is easy. Very well made of quality leather and they retain the gun very well.

derrickgoins

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I have a friend that swears by Don Hume and he has a pretty nice setup with the OWB, IWB, mag holster, and belt. For the money, you can't beat it. That said, that Kirkpatrick leather looks really nice too. Good Luck.

Top Bottom