• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Interested in your opinions. Which is more useful, better, for general use: .357 magnum or .44magnum? Interested in stopping power and cost for training.

Plan is to purchase one lever action rifle for use in Indiana and one revolver in same caliber.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    As far as cost, the .357 Mag., is usually cheaper to buy, and feed, and MUCH cheaper to reload... you can use .38 spl., and lead reloads... the .44 Mag., is "more powerful", but can be loaded down, .44 spl., lead bullets... I have both, and enjoy both... I also have a Marlin in .44 Mag, and want to get one in .357 ..... :twocents:

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Based on your criteria of costthe answer is .357.

Though the .44 has more stopping power you haveto consider what your trying to stop. Either has enough power to stop paper. The .357 can be used on deer with great effect as well as humans. Neither will miss being hit with a .44 as they will be to busy bleeding out.

You also have to consider manegability. One well placed .357 is better than 2 misses and a graze from a .44.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You can also really hot-rod the .357 Mag for many modern revolvers (Especially those from Ruger) and rifles. Of course, you can do the same with the .44 as well...

If you're at all interested in reloading... My opinion is that if it's MY money, I'm going .357Mag.

it also MIGHT be easier to find it at Walmart than .44Mag / Spcl.

gunwh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    id go 357 myself for the cost of practising and its verry effective for hunting. your looking at a difference of about 2 dollers a box between 357(the less expensive of the two) and 44 mag. my personal fave is 45 long colt just to throw that in there

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I'm interpreting "general use" to mean hunting small game, medium game, and use as a carry weapon for self defense.

With that in mind, I think the .357 Magnum is superior. It provides adequate power for medium game, with .38 wadcutters it's much better suited to taking small game than .44 Specials (simply less meat destroyed,) and it's especially better suited for use as a carry weapon. The guns are generally lighter than .44s, the round has a better stopping record, it is much more controllable.

Of course, if your primary focus is hunting with secondary use as a carry gun, I like the .44 better. But I think a four inch .357 Magnum is close to being the perfect general purpose gun.

gunwh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    dont for get the 357 is generly smaller in size there for easier to conseal for carry

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    I have a rossi 92 in .357 and a 6 inch ruger gp100 put spring kits in both and I love them both. I think both of calibers have alot of versatility here in indiana with hand loads the .357 is great on deer. The 44 is a little better if you cant reload just because factory ammo has plenty of power. I find that my .357s are inherently accurate and a pleasure to shoot even with full house loads. If you want a bush gun a 16 inch barrel .357 lever cant be beat you can shoot anything here with it no problem. If you want a gun that covers more bases like heading out west the .44 is probably the one for you. On self defense 6 shots in a .357 or 5 in a 44 that gives my vote to the .357. I like them both for hunting

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for the input. I plan to learn to hunt deer in Indiana and to use the revolver for practice and training. Usually carry a G26 or Taurus 709 for PD. Seems the consensus is running to the .357 magnum. Appreciate the expertise.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Thanks for the input. I plan to learn to hunt deer in Indiana and to use the revolver for practice and training. Usually carry a G26 or Taurus 709 for PD. Seems the consensus is running to the .357 magnum. Appreciate the expertise.

If you are looking primarily for a deer hunting gun, the .44 Magnum is superior.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I've got hunting sized revolvers in both, and a lovely marlin in .44. The idea, like you, was to have a hunting rifle and revolver in the same caliber. I gotta tell you, for hunting purposes, I don't see a clear winner. For carry use and cost, I go with the .357. Joe Williams and .356luger both make good observations about the .357

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Pa, I think that you should go with the .44.

After reading all the replies, I was going to advise you to get the .357, but here's why I changed my mind at the last minute.

1) You don't reload. So, the savings on cost from reloading .357 won't be felt. Furthermore, the .44 has more power "off the shelf". Later down the road when you have time, money, and space to get into reloading, you can get into .357.

2) You really do want to focus on deer hunting. You'd only be getting the revolver because it'd be fun to have a revolver that takes the same ammo. I know you, and I know you won't want to carry the revolver when you're out and about, save perhaps for while you're hunting. You don't typically like the way revolvers feel or shoot, so you won't feel comfortable enough to wear it as a self-defense piece. And since the .44 is arguably better for deer hunting, that's the one you should get for deer hunting.

3) You really want the .44. (This point really isn't so much about logic and reason as it is about emotion, which is why it's my last point, but it's worth mentioning.) You started thinking about the .44 because that's more of the iconic lever action caliber, which really appealed to you. I believe that if you were to get a .357, it'd be because you're thinking more about cost savings (not a bad thing, mind you) and easier shooting in the revolver, but I don't think you'll be as happy. You'll think, "It would've been nice to have the .44, but this suits my needs just fine." And this purchase should be about what you want, not about what will suffice. And realistically, you don't have an expressed desire to carry a revolver in any caliber, so the benefits of having the .357, which is thought to be better for carrying, really shouldn't carry so much weight in the thought process.

Get the .44, Pa. And hurry up—I wanna shoot it!

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Why not something in .45 Colt? :-)

Or, better yet, .454 Casull?

Or even .460 S&W?

Oh how I like to muddy the waters...

With the .460, you can use .460, .454Casull, .45Colt, AND .45 Schofield.

So a lever rifle in .454 Casull + a BFR in .460 would be pretty slick. ;-)

Or just a combo in .45 Colt and you'd be all set. (you can, again, really hot-rod the .45Colt up to nearly .44mag levels)

-J-

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Pa, I think that you should go with the .44.

After reading all the replies, I was going to advise you to get the .357, but here's why I changed my mind at the last minute.

1) You don't reload. So, the savings on cost from reloading .357 won't be felt. Furthermore, the .44 has more power "off the shelf". Later down the road when you have time, money, and space to get into reloading, you can get into .357.

2) You really do want to focus on deer hunting. You'd only be getting the revolver because it'd be fun to have a revolver that takes the same ammo. I know you, and I know you won't want to carry the revolver when you're out and about, save perhaps for while you're hunting. You don't typically like the way revolvers feel or shoot, so you won't feel comfortable enough to wear it as a self-defense piece. And since the .44 is arguably better for deer hunting, that's the one you should get for deer hunting.

3) You really want the .44. (This point really isn't so much about logic and reason as it is about emotion, which is why it's my last point, but it's worth mentioning.) You started thinking about the .44 because that's more of the iconic lever action caliber, which really appealed to you. I believe that if you were to get a .357, it'd be because you're thinking more about cost savings (not a bad thing, mind you) and easier shooting in the revolver, but I think you'll be as happy. You'll think, "It would've been nice to have the .44, but this suits my needs just fine." And this purchase should be about what you want, not about what will suffice. And realistically, you don't have an expressed desire to carry a revolver in any caliber, so the benefits of having the .357, which is thought to be better for carrying, really shouldn't carry so much weight in the thought process.

Get the .44, Pa. And hurry up—I wanna shoot it!

Valid points !

If primarily for deer hunting, the .44 RIFLE would be the better choice.

One thing I caught from above is whether the OP likes how a revolver feels or shoots... If his heart is into auto loaders, might be best to get the rifle for now and cool his heels on the revolver. The price of a quality revolver has went thru the roof in recent years ! If in fact he doesn't like the feel of them, it could be an expensive decision he would regret.

For the OP.... If you have never shot one before, I frequently run down to OCC ( Ossian Conservation Club) and would be happy to let you try each out. I have both SA and DA in each caliber. Would rather you fire a few rounds than spend a fortune and regret it.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Why not something in .45 Colt? :-)

Or, better yet, .454 Casull?

Or even .460 S&W?

Oh how I like to muddy the waters...

With the .460, you can use .460, .454Casull, .45Colt, AND .45 Schofield.

So a lever rifle in .454 Casull + a BFR in .460 would be pretty slick. ;-)

Or just a combo in .45 Colt and you'd be all set. (you can, again, really hot-rod the .45Colt up to nearly .44mag levels)

-J-

Can I use the .454 to hunt in Indiana? I thought it was not allowed here.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Valid points !

If primarily for deer hunting, the .44 RIFLE would be the better choice.

One thing I caught from above is whether the OP likes how a revolver feels or shoots... If his heart is into auto loaders, might be best to get the rifle for now and cool his heels on the revolver. The price of a quality revolver has went thru the roof in recent years ! If in fact he doesn't like the feel of them, it could be an expensive decision he would regret.

For the OP.... If you have never shot one before, I frequently run down to OCC ( Ossian Conservation Club) and would be happy to let you try each out. I have both SA and DA in each caliber. Would rather you fire a few rounds than spend a fortune and regret it.

XtremeVel, mk2ja has a valid point. I really was interested in the .44 for historical reasons, but it seemed the .357 was more useful. I really do not like to shoot revolvers. The trigger pull is so long that I end up losing focus on the target and shoot very wide of the mark. I have never fired a .44 revolver, but I have put many rounds down range from a Ruger SP101. I really do not like shooting it. I shoot straighter and with greater confidence with a Glock 26 or Taurus 709 Slim. The only real advantage of the .357 is the cheaper ammo. So, seems I really should just go with the .44 magnum.

I would enjoy meeting up at OCC sometime to test fire a couple revolvers. Let me know when you head that way on a Saturday. I have never been there so it would be a great learning opp. I could probably get mk2ja to join us.

Thanks for the help folks!!

Top Bottom