• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    I will be purchasing a new Glock 26 this week and wanted some opinions from Glock owners on which generation I should get. I have the choice of a Gen3 or a Gen4(same price, both brand new). Are there any advantages/disadvantages in getting one over the other. I also was considering purchasing the Glock extended magazine (the +2). Is it better to get the Glock 26+2 magazine vs the extensions (Pearce magazine extendions)? I don't want to carry one of the Glock 17 magazines, due to the size. That's why I'm getting the Glock 26 to start out with. It will be my new CC. The Glock magazine cost about $35, I thought that was kind of salty.

I know there is a difference in the pattern and the interchangeable backstrap on the grip, but is that it? I'd appreciate any advice on the differences in the Glock Generations.

pierce195

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    New Castle
    I carry a G27 Gen 4 every day and like the grip texture and option of different back straps. Three of my mags have glock +2 and all have function without issue.

I don't think you can go wrong with Gen 3 or Gen 4, just which every you like better.

KillStick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Anderson
    If you can get a gen4 for the same price as the gen 3, then defiantly get the gen 4. My personal is the gen 3, the gen4 does not offer any changes that would be beneficial to me personally. The gun fits my hands already and I usually have talon grips on my gen 3's.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Either one.

I have Gen.3 and Gen. 4 and love both, carry whichever one suits at the moment. Get the feal of each in your hand and then decide, can not go wrong either way. :)

shoot the radio

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    New springs in gen4 to reduce recoil,I haven't shot 1,that's just what I've gathered from the glock website. If same price why not go gen4,if nothing else the newer model will help in resale value,if u ever chose 2 sell in the future

zombiehunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    newest is always better right? lol
    I would go with the gen4 just because it IS the newest model and therefore will retain it's resale value better.

What kind of price do they have on them?

beevans

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Speedway
    I carry a 3rd generation G23 every day and have not carried a Gen 4. That said, the texture on the Gen 4's may be too rough if you won't be wearing a shirt between your skin and the frame.

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    If you plan on wearing it under a jacket. . .

the Gen4 will shred your clothing. Over time, the rough texture will wear holes in the linings of your jackets.

I say go with the Gen3s.

They do not need to be upgraded.

And if you want an improvement over that, get a S&W M&P9 or M&P9c! ;)

Vanguard.45

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Doubt it !

the Gen4 will shred your clothing. Over time, the rough texture will wear holes in the linings of your jackets.

I say go with the Gen3s.

Vanguard.45

Says a non owner? The Gen.4 texture is toned down from the Gen.3 RTF-2 and will not wear holes in anything faster than would a stock Gen.3. :rolleyes:

zombiehunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    New Castle, IN

I say go with the Gen3s.

Vanguard.45
    ok.....and you come to this conclusion how? :n00b: It's no more rough than skateboard tape that a lot of owners put on their EDC pistols!

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I have the Gen3, so I can't speak for the gen4. However, if the place you're looking has them for the same price, what's the price?

You can get a gen3 Glock brand new for $489. I've never seen a gen4 for that locally.

karodger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Northside Indy/Lafayette
    The real question is whether the Gen 4 fits your hand better with the interchangeable backstraps and if you like the grip texture. Personally I'm a fan of Gen 3. The Gen 4 offers no additional benefits to me so I'll stick with my Gen 3 G23.

glockman23

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indy
    If you can get a gen4 for the same price as the gen 3, then defiantly get the gen 4. My personal is the gen 3, the gen4 does not offer any changes that would be beneficial to me personally. The gun fits my hands already and I usually have talon grips on my gen 3's.

How do you know they didnt raise the price on the gen3 to the gen4 price???.
    You cant go wrong with any generation glock. It all comes down to witch one fits you best, besides if your like most of us it won't be your only glock!:rockwoot:

P.S. Welcome to the darkside!!!

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    ok.....and you come to this conclusion how? :n00b: It's no more rough than skateboard tape that a lot of owners put on their EDC pistols!

I've come to this conclusion by holding the Gen4 GLOCKS, thinking "This feels an awful lot like the grips on my SIG and on other guns I have owned which had a skateboard tape-like texture on the grips." Then, thinking about it, I remembered how I had to have all of my sportcoats re-lined due to large holes that magically appeared strangely enough right around where my gun was holstered daily. Then, after I changed my SIG grips to rubber Hogue ones, the holes didn't return. Then, I looked online at several forums and found that some owners of the Gen4 GLOCKS were indeed reporting they were having some issues with clothing such as sportcoats. Who would have guessed???

I guess you could say I used my life experiences as a longtime gun owner and used a comparison between something new and older things with which I had experience and used inductive reasoning. Thus, I moved from a single, specific observation toward a more general theory regarding rough-textued frames and their effect upon cloting I typically wear. Perhaps I should have said "the Gen4 grips MIGHT" shred your clothing." That was my mistake, and I apologize to the GLOCK devotees (Vince49 and zombiehunter, specifically).

No need to be rude with the retarded smiley face, though. Just as individuals here have had good luck with the Gen4 grip, others have NOT had good luck.

Some people actually believe the S&W Sigma is one of the best handguns ever made! It's what makes forums interesting. People's experiences and opinions vary. If that wasn't the case, then we would all just sit here and wait for your next post, zombiehunter!

That would be LOTS of fun.

Vanguard.45

Last edited:
    Top Bottom