• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I'm in the makret for an entry level firearm save. I believe that all the major brands will be pertty much the same (Cannon, Liberty, Ft. Knox, Cabela's, etc..) in terms of quality, fire protection at the entry level. What I don't know about is customer service, company honoring their warranty, stories from those that HAVE used their waranty.

Here is what I am looking for in specifics.
    - A safe that can secure the following: 1 AK, 1 AR, 1 Shotgun, 1 AR-7, 2 handguns

- The ability to have it bolted to the floor
    - Comes with a mechanical lock; I'm EMP paranoid and don't trust electrical locks.

So any horor stories from anyone in terms of bad company service?
    An safe people would stay away from?
    Thanks

iam1096

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    Ohio
    Look at Lowe's. They have a liberty safe for $400.00. 16 long guns, weighing 265 pounds . Has everything you are looking for. Same safe at Gander Mountain is 650. I bought one for ammo and magazines and like it alot.

gmviso

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Dicks Sporting goods is having a pre-turkeyday pre-order sale. Among the items is a Stack-on 24 Gun Fire rated safe (1400 degrees for 30 minutes) with a dial combo lock. Bottom line is $450 minus a $50 mail in rebate. Weighs almost 500 lbs. Must be pre-ordered in store betwen now and Wednesday. This is $200 less than the current advertsed sale price.

iam1096

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    Ohio
    The only problem I have with
    stack on is they dont have a relocker system. It the lock is broken then you have free access to the safe. Plus their electronic locks have had problems with them breaking. I did alot of research on safes before I bought my main safe. I bought one of the Liberty fatboys. 9oo pounds locking bolts all the way around and 10 ga steel. Sure they can get in but the Alarm System should get someone there before they get into
    the safe.

gmviso

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    NE Indiana
    The only problem I have with
    stack on is they dont have a relocker system. It the lock is broken then you have free access to the safe. Plus their electronic locks have had problems with them breaking. I did alot of research on safes before I bought my main safe. I bought one of the Liberty fatboys. 9oo pounds locking bolts all the way around and 10 ga steel. Sure they can get in but the Alarm System should get someone there before they get into
    the safe.

I have no doubt that you purchased a fine safe. I was merely offering this particular Stack-on safe as a high value entry level option. Normally you would not find a fire rated safe for anywhere near this price point.

By the way it does not have an electronic keypad.

I know it is not the best that money can buy, but not everyone is in a position to afford the best.

iam1096

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    Ohio
    I wasn't putting you down at all. I was just pointing at the facts as I saw them. That is why said the Liberty safe from lowe's. Not as big as the one from Dick's but does have the relocker and is a nice safe and is $400.00. It does have a fire rating but it is not the best. You don't have to spend alot but just look around before buying. I don't care what brand is sold or from where. Just some safes look pretty but they are just fancy lock boxes.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Thanks all from my research I found that a "good" safe should have the following:
    - Interior at least 58" High and 30" wide
    - Overall Weight 750+ Pounds
    - 8 Gauge or Heavier Wall Thickness
    - Double-Wall, Composite Door with Relockers
    - Minimum UL RSC Rated TL-15+
    - External Hinges
    - Mechanical UL Group II (or better) Lock with Standard Dial
    - 2 bolts min on each side
    - diagonal bolts are good

However if looking at all these "featrures" you are looking at $2K safes which I would say, at this time are BEYOND my price point. I'm looking for something in the $1K and under range for now, thus entry-level.

I'm not concerned about theft as I am about just keeping "other hands" off the guns for now. The little ones at home have been/ and will continue to get training (eddie eagle) but we are now taking care of nieces and nephews and have "play dates" from the pre-school as well that come over. The firearms *NOT* on my have gun locks on them but I think it's time to move up to a "secure container". The next step would be a "real good" safe (eg. $3+ heavy, 8 ga steel, etc.. safe).

I'm going to have the check the Dick's Sporting Goods cause that sounds like a good deal.

tharlow514

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Thanks all from my research I found that a "good" safe should have the following:
    - Interior at least 58" High and 30" wide
    - Overall Weight 750+ Pounds
    - 8 Gauge or Heavier Wall Thickness
    - Double-Wall, Composite Door with Relockers
    - Minimum UL RSC Rated TL-15+
    - External Hinges
    - Mechanical UL Group II (or better) Lock with Standard Dial
    - 2 bolts min on each side
    - diagonal bolts are good

However if looking at all these "featrures" you are looking at $2K safes which I would say, at this time are BEYOND my price point. I'm looking for something in the $1K and under range for now, thus entry-level.

I'm not concerned about theft as I am about just keeping "other hands" off the guns for now. The little ones at home have been/ and will continue to get training (eddie eagle) but we are now taking care of nieces and nephews and have "play dates" from the pre-school as well that come over. The firearms *NOT* on my have gun locks on them but I think it's time to move up to a "secure container". The next step would be a "real good" safe (eg. $3+ heavy, 8 ga steel, etc.. safe).

I'm going to have the check the Dick's Sporting Goods cause that sounds like a good deal.

I needed a safe for the same purpose-keeping children out and for some security as well- without spending 2-3K. I actually purchased the Liberty Safe from Lowe's as well and have been happy with it as an ENTRY level safe, which is definitely what it is for $400. I do believe it is more secure than other entry level safes at that price. The locking system works well and it does bolt down. They do carry a larger one for around $650 that has a better fire rating, more internal space and is heavier.

gmviso

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    NE Indiana
    now we have safe snobs floating around as well? tsk tsk.

I admit I was concerned when I offered my Stack-on suggestion, but I believe the discussion was civil.

As a side note I was just at Lowes checking out the Liberty CE-12. It is a nice safe. What I liked:
    concealed hinges
    smooth turn dial
    somewhat better interior

However the Stack-on is still a good deal.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    As a side note I was just at Lowes checking out the Liberty CE-12. It is a nice safe. What I liked:
    concealed hinges

However the Stack-on is still a good deal.

Actual from my research reading today you DO NOT want "concealed hinges" but external hinges. Why?

Well on a good safe the hinge does nothing more than facilitate moving the door (eg. open/closing). By having the hinges on the outside an unproffesional thief will first concentrate on trying that area to break into the safe.

This will mean the thief spends more time on that area and less on other areas that are more vunlearable and could OPEN the safe (eg. the actual locking mechanize. Even if the thief does manage to break the hinges the door on a good safe will still be in place due to the bars on the safe door. So all the thief has done is wasted time and energy. Since time is of the essence in a burglary either the thief quits or attempts to take the safe.

Most unpros will just leave the safe at that point.

Note that NO SAFE is every going to 100% protect your stuff from fire, water, or thief. It just buys you time.

gmviso

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Actual from my research reading today you DO NOT want "concealed hinges" but external hinges. Why?

Well on a good safe the hinge does nothing more than facilitate moving the door (eg. open/closing). By having the hinges on the outside an unproffesional thief will first concentrate on trying that area to break into the safe.

This will mean the thief spends more time on that area and less on other areas that are more vunlearable and could OPEN the safe (eg. the actual locking mechanize. Even if the thief does manage to break the hinges the door on a good safe will still be in place due to the bars on the safe door. So all the thief has done is wasted time and energy. Since time is of the essence in a burglary either the thief quits or attempts to take the safe.

Most unpros will just leave the safe at that point.

Note that NO SAFE is every going to 100% protect your stuff from fire, water, or thief. It just buys you time.

Wow! Would have never guess this. This forum is great!

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Advertised Capacity

Also bear in mind the manufacturer's capacity rating is for non-scoped guns. Virtually all my long guns are scoped and that cuts the capacity by almost 50%. Scoped bolt guns also reduce capacity by 1 or 2 unless you don't mind your guns "leaning" on each other. I'm finicky (OK, anal) about my guns not touching and not leaning on the scopes, though.

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Johnson Safe Company--right here in Indiana. Any size you want..Any color you want..Any hardware you want...Any interior you want and it is with all made in the U.S. materials. Give him a call. he will work with you and he is very friendly.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Dicks Sporting goods is having a pre-turkeyday pre-order sale. Among the items is a Stack-on 24 Gun Fire rated safe (1400 degrees for 30 minutes) with a dial combo lock. Bottom line is $450 minus a $50 mail in rebate. Weighs almost 500 lbs. Must be pre-ordered in store betwen now and Wednesday. This is $200 less than the current advertsed sale price.

Is this on their website somewhere? Or a paper flyer? Do you have a link to the info? I can't find it and last night I finally turned the wife "over to the dark side" and she agreed to allow us to buy a safe for the holidays. :D

I only see this one?
    Centurion 12 Gun Fireproof Safe by Liberty Safe - Dick's Sporting Goods

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Johnson Safe Company--right here in Indiana. Any size you want..Any color you want..Any hardware you want...Any interior you want and it is with all made in the U.S. materials. Give him a call. he will work with you and he is very friendly.

But I'm in NWI I can't image to think how much shipping would be. :cool:

gmviso

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Is this on their website somewhere? Or a paper flyer? Do you have a link to the info? I can't find it and last night I finally turned the wife "over to the dark side" and she agreed to allow us to buy a safe for the holidays. :D

I only see this one?
    Centurion 12 Gun Fireproof Safe by Liberty Safe - Dick's Sporting Goods

As far as I know it is kind of a private sale. They were handing out single copy page flyers at the door yesterday.

Just call or visit your local store and mention the Pre-order sale 11/22 - 11/25. In particular you are asking about the Stack-on Elite 24 Gun Fire Safe. $449.98 sale price and $50 mail in rebate. I just noticed that these may be available as Friday morning doorbusters, but who wants to hassle with the crowds?

Top Bottom