• ...and so much more!
  • jtull01

Plinker
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    NWI
    Hi Forum,
    Ok I have read a few threads ( a lot) and I know you can read volumes on lever action rifles. But…
    I want one for 95% target shooting.
    I know I don't want a .22
    Here is my questions:
    1 Caliber? I'd like it to have a decent amount of power, yet not break the bank on ammunition. So, is it cost effective to even think about reloading a 30-30 shell? ( I don't reload yet, but it looks so interesting!) This would be my choice if I could get rounds for lets say 50 cents a piece.
    If a nice dream then...
    Which Pistol caliber would fit the bill ammunition wise? Does .357, .44 Magnum, or??? I have a .357 pistol, but wouldn't mind a larger bang with more knock down power for a rifle.
    2 Whose make and model should I look for? I am probably going to buy it used, so any pointers to look for? IE, loose action, certain wear marks, etc.
    Thanks for your help, looking forward to your ideas to help me make a logical decision.
    :draw:

Last edited:

jtull01

Plinker
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    NWI
    Usage

I may hunt with it, but that is just a 5% chance. I have other rifles for that purpose.
    Shooting would be at the outside range with rifle calibers like 30-30.
    My indoor range excepts pistol calibers.
    Thanks

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Can't go wrong with either 357 or 44. As for the 30-30, it is an inexpensive round and is also a fine hunting cartridge. Also the rifles are inexpensive as well. ($300-$400) 30-30 is a prettydecent round for about anything deer sized or smaller. If you use it within it's limits. It is probobly not the best choice for shooting 1000 yards, but inside 300 you shoud be able to get reasonably accurate.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    For 95% target shooting I'd go with a .38SPL/357Mag or a .45 Colt or a .44 SPL/.44Mag, especially if you have plans to deer hunt with it in Indiana.

If you're looking for a big game rifle then there's the .338 MX and the .45-70.

Yes the .30-30 will be more cost effective than many of the other choices for a "rifle" caliber, whether you reload or not, but I'd rather have a .35 Rem.

If you like to have you cake and eat it too, look at the Browning BLR which comes in a veriety of calibers with pointy nose bullets, but the FTX bullets from Hornady do a really good job for those who love their 100 year old cartridges.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    This is probably a stupid question, but I've never seen anyone mention it: will a lever action chambered in .357 also shoot .38 Special?

Not stupid at all- yes, they will shoot 38 special.

Fun fun plinking and target shooting, get a 45/70. It will insure within a couple of shots that you've got the range to yourself:D

Seriously though, for the needs of the OP, I would go 357 all the way. Fewer shooting is more fun than launching a bunch of 38 specials down range through a rifle. And, if need be, you can throw 357 through it, which turns the cartridge into a whole different animal than from a revolver. :twocents:

BBSparkle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Not many guns I love more than a .357 lever action. Prefer the Marlins, girlfriend's dad has a stainless model that is just beautiful [it will be mine. Oh, yes, it will be mine!]. Never shot a rifle that felt as natural. Even with .38s, if you find the rhythm, it won't trip up.

Shot a Henry in .22 and liked that a lot, dunno about their centerfire calibers, though..

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have a Marlin 1894c in .357. It is really hard to beat these little carbines for a working gun. They are fast and carry well. .38 special works fine in them. Very little recoil and relatively quite. You would have no problems shooting one on an indoor range. The only problem with shooting .38 is that it makes the chamber dirty. I have actually pulled .357 cases in half trying to extract them after shooting the .38s. The sights on my rifle shoot about right for the .38s at 25 yards and are sighted in for .357 at 50 yards. With .357 loaded in the gun you will have an excellent 75 yard deer gun. I had no problems taking a small deer (freezer meat) two years ago with this gun. One shoot, one kill, dropped it right where it stood. Shoot the deer with a boring old 158 grain hornady XTP. This year I am going to try a 180 grain hard cast load from buffalo bore.

For a dedicated deer gun I would without a doubt move up to a .44 magnum. But if you are like me and want a 95% plinker then the .357 makes more sense. I do not have a .357 revolver but the rifle does share ammunition with my .38 revolvers.

jtull01

Plinker
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    NWI
    Caliber

Hi Folks,
    Thanks for all the really great replies.
    I really like the idea of having the 44 magnum for the extra power, but at the price of the ammunition, yikes, looks prohibitive.
    As I already have a .357 and ammunition is a tad cheaper, I'll probably go with that, unless I find 44 mag ammo at around 40 cents a round.

Now, which make and model??????

Lets here it from you experts, what should I pay for a decent to perfect .357 lever gun???

Regards
    :ingo:

IUprof

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Fort Worth
    I would recommend something in a pistol caliber if you already have (or are planning) to purchase a revolver. I have a Marlin 1894c and I can share the ammo with my Ruger GP100 (357/38sp). Especially the 38s are fun to shoot from the rifle at the range!

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    Marlin 1894s are side ejectors which is nice if your wanting to mount an optic but there in the $700 range I believe. Now Rossi and Puma make a lever gun gun that is a top ejector I think and I believe your looking into about $450 for one of those

As far as Caliber. If I was you I would get the 357, It may be smaller but it shoots flatter is cheaper to feed and shares ammo with your handgun. 44 is great but you dont have a 44 yet but when you get a 44 mag handgun get a matching 44 lever gun :rockwoot:. when I think of a lever gun theres always 30-30 problem is in indiana we cant hunt with it and your local range only lets you shoot handguns. but if I had my choice I would get 35 Rem

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    Can't go wrong with either 357 or 44. As for the 30-30, it is an inexpensive round and is also a fine hunting cartridge. Also the rifles are inexpensive as well. ($300-$400) 30-30 is a prettydecent round for about anything deer sized or smaller. If you use it within it's limits. It is probobly not the best choice for shooting 1000 yards, but inside 300 you shoud be able to get reasonably accurate.

Can't use the 30-30 for hunting in Indiana. Can use rifle only as long as using handgun caliber ammo that is .357 or larger.

From the DNR Hunting & Trapping Guide:

Rifles with cartridges that fire a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger; have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches; and have a maximum case length of 1.625 inches are legal to use only during the deer firearm season. Some cartridges legal for deer hunting include the .357 Magnum, .38-.40 Winchester, .41 Magnum, .41 Special, .44 Magnum, .44 Special, .44-.40 Winchester, .45 Colt, .454 Casull, .458 SOCOM, .475 Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .50 Action Express, and .500 S&W.

You can pick one up anywhere you can purchase an Indiana Hunting License.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting. :)

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    Hi Folks,
    Thanks for all the really great replies.
    I really like the idea of having the 44 magnum for the extra power, but at the price of the ammunition, yikes, looks prohibitive.
    As I already have a .357 and ammunition is a tad cheaper, I'll probably go with that, unless I find 44 mag ammo at around 40 cents a round.

Now, which make and model??????

Lets here it from you experts, what should I pay for a decent to perfect .357 lever gun???

Regards
    :ingo:
    If you want a gun that looks pretty and shoots good too (and don't mind $900, prob. a bit less local) the Henry Big Boy is nice. Henry Repeating Arms | Fine Rifles Made in America and Priced Right

A bit pricey, but I like them. Kinda got that Champagne Taste thing going.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    This is probably a stupid question, but I've never seen anyone mention it: will a lever action chambered in .357 also shoot .38 Special?

Yes. I have a Marlin 1894c in .357. I shoot .38 special out of it with no problem. I bought it for hunting deer in Indiana. The caliber is acceptable for indoor ranges, too. The .44mag is more powerful, and accurate out to longer distances according to the experts on INGO. However, most of the deerslaying in Indiana is under 100yds, again, according to the INGO experts. So, .357 is great for deer and the .38 special works for target practice.

Marlin 1894c lever action is accurate and fun to shoot. I enjoy mine.

Top Bottom