• Which Stainless 5" 9mm 1911

• Total voters

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Poll added to make this easier. Remember-Stainless (unless you know of a Olive Drab version), 9mm, 5" Government model.
    27826.jpg

OR
    Stainless%20II.jpg

OR
    547bbac7aed78d5b66d45ca5d0d5.jpg

Springfield Armory Service Stainless 9mm vs. Kimber Stainless II 9mm vs. Kimber Gold Match Stainless 9mm.

Which one? Why? Pros/Cons? For whatever reason I am undecided. I can probably rule out the Gold Match since this won't be competition. As you can tell I prefer Stainless even though it just runs the price up. I will also accept any other 9mm 1911 advice.

Notes. Don't particularly care for front serrations, but of these the Kimber wins. Don't need adjustable sights. Must be beavertailed. No real need for ambi-safety.

Leaning towards Kimber Stainless II. But I also like my SA 1911 in 45.

Last edited:

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    I'll take one of each......I don't think I am capable of making such a big decision......

But - even being a huge 1911 fan - I love my Sig P239!!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If it were me, I'd take the least expensive of the trio. I don't know that it'd be worth it for the highest dollar one.

I like to think I'd like a commander-sized bobtail 9mm 1911... *sigh*

-J-

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I think the springfields are better bang for the buck.... Kind of like a swiss army knife... not overpriced just because it has a good name, just good old fashioned fair pricing. Kimber likes to tout "custom" alot, but i still get many brought to me for trigger jobs because its not perfect. why would a 1500 dollar "custom" gun have a 6 pound trigger? Why would the sights be pressed in with a machine making user adjustments in the field while sight it in impossible?

dont get me wrong, kimbers are quality, but you are also paying for the name. Micheal jordan shoes are quality, AND custom, but are they worth 300 dollars?

I like alot of what kimber has to offer, and they do some really cool stuff and some pretty awesome one offs, BUT... My PERSONAL opinion is the springfield is a better buy.

RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    I have shot the Kimber and loved it. Always wanted one but had my hands on a STI. Did not get to fire it but is on my wishlist. I do like the Springfield's also. Tough choices for what you pictured. Good luck.

daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    I have a RRI 1911 A1 in 9mm, that I use as a carry gun. I know it's a cheep handgun compaired to what has been mentioned, but I have had very good luck with mine .Shoots very good and has been 100% dependable. It's about half the price so I DON'T worry about all the little scrapes & scratches that happen to carry guns. Good luck with you chioces.

SmotPoker1986

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Knox
    I would just scrap the 9mm idea and get the springfield in a nice .45 ACP package like it should be. Such beautiful guns tho, all of them.

Rizzo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Is there a quality 1911 commander size 9mm with a polymer frame made?

Jim McKalip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Cumberland
    My Springfield "loaded" 9mm was poorly fitted and not super accurate. I had a lot of accuracy work done by a big name custom shop and still wasn't satisfied. I finally cut my losses and replaced it with a Kimber Gold Match 9mm. I forgot to mention that the Springfield was back to them with no improvement before I sent it to the custom shop for 6 mos and $600. The Kimber is a BIG improvement.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I will say I have held a couple Kimbers in 4" and 5" that felt nice, in 9mm and 45 for that matter. Held a real nice 4" with aluminum frame, I can't remember the model. Kimber's model names confuse me. :):

Top Bottom