• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    Getting prepped for this years deer hunt: first year using 300 AAC, obviously.

What is INGO's opinion on supersonic 300 AAC rounds for deer? Here are the two options i'm bouncing between.

Hornaday 135 grain FTX

Barnes 110 grain TSX

both are ballistic tip expanding rounds.

I have heard great things about the 110 grain rounds: but the 135s carry slightly more energy, and i feel like the flight path would be closer to the 147 grain FMJs i have, requiring a less specific scope zero, making the FMJs closer to zeroed for plinking in between seasons without having to adjust.

What is INGO's thoughts? If you have a good other option, too, i'm all ears.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Getting prepped for this years deer hunt: first year using 300 AAC, obviously.

What is INGO's opinion on supersonic 300 AAC rounds for deer? Here are the two options i'm bouncing between.

Hornaday 135 grain FTX

Barnes 110 grain TSX

both are ballistic tip expanding rounds.

I have heard great things about the 110 grain rounds: but the 135s carry slightly more energy, and i feel like the flight path would be closer to the 147 grain FMJs i have, requiring a less specific scope zero, making the FMJs closer to zeroed for plinking in between seasons without having to adjust.

What is INGO's thoughts? If you have a good other option, too, i'm all ears.

I would go with the Barnes assuming accuracy is the same.

What do you mean by "requireing a less specific scope zero". The scope has to be re sighted in every time you switch loads. You might have some wiggle room of a steel target (IE you miss where your aiming no harm), but not on a deer (IE you shoot it in the leg, and it dies in 2 months slow and painfully).

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I'd use either one and not really worry about it, but kind with what Alan said... Whatever you choose, zero your scope to it and know you'll hit where you're shooting at. You don't want to call it "good enough" with live game.

I personally am shooting 125's and I'll load up about a hundred or so and get out and practice a bit with a lot of them.

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    No, my statement of the scope zero is this: Of course i will zero the scope in to the ammo i choose to hunt with. BUT, if the bullet trajectory is more similar to the 147 grain FMJs, i can get away with plinking without re-zeroing for the 147's better. if i put a 100 yard zero on a 110 grain round, and and fire a 147 grain round, the 147 will be impact lower, in comparison to the cross hairs, than if i zeroed in for a 135 grain load, since that trajectory would be more similar to the 147's.

Cliff notes: yes, i'll be zeroing in with the hunting rounds, but one may make it easier to shoot steel without re-zeroing in after hunting season.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Something else to consider, I have not looked, but would assume the Hornady's are cheaper than the Barnes. That makes for more practice ammo at the same price. If you put the bullet in the boiler room, the deer wont know the difference.

I see what you are saying about the zero now.

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    Something else to consider, I have not looked, but would assume the Hornady's are cheaper than the Barnes. That makes for more practice ammo at the same price. If you put the bullet in the boiler room, the deer wont know the difference.

I see what you are saying about the zero now.

Yes, the Hornadays are cheaper by around $6/box. I'm leaning that way more and more.

and yeah, basically i'm lazy and i dont want to have to zero it in more than once a year. lol

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    My Son used a 110 gr. Barnes Tac-TX Sunday to drop his first 8 pointer. DRT. We reload, and the Barnes is $.68/rnd compared to Hornady $.28-.32/rnd. The Barnes was more accurate for us this summer at 50-100yds. YMMV.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I've taken 3 deer with the Barnes TAC-TX (black tips). They have performed great every time and the deer always expire quickly and don't go very far, leaving massive blood trails. Couldn't recommend them more.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Yes, the Hornadays are cheaper by around $6/box. I'm leaning that way more and more.

and yeah, basically i'm lazy and i dont want to have to zero it in more than once a year. lol

IMO, $6/box is pretty cheap insurance, especially if you are practicing with cheaper rounds. I doubt there will be as much difference between points of impact as you think and if you keep track of your scope adjustments, you won't have to re-site every time, just re-adjust the scope.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    IMO, $6/box is pretty cheap insurance, especially if you are practicing with cheaper rounds. I doubt there will be as much difference between points of impact as you think and if you keep track of your scope adjustments, you won't have to re-site every time, just re-adjust the scope.

He may not have a scope with turrets, or at least that's what I was assuming.

As for you guys with the comments of barnes effectiveness on deer, thank you! I may go with them instead of what I've got. I may order some and see how they fly!

Top Bottom