• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PTinbound

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    DeMotte
    Forgive me for asking an emotional question that probably has been hashed out before, but here goes.

I'm feeling needful of a full size 1911 at some point, and here's what I'm looking for: Not a PRIMARY home defense gun, as nothing can beat the XD45 for tactical, reliability, and capacity issues, but perhaps primarily a range gun and secondarily a defense or carry gun. I'd like accuracy within reason, not necissarily match grade, but I do want to be able to consistently hit the "kill zone" with average skill at 21 feet. More importantly, reliability. Is there any such 1911 that right out of the box can shoot several thousand rounds of ANY 45acp ammo without being cleaned, with no FTE's or FTF's? I'd like to be able to shoot any ammo reliably, not just FMJ's or a certain brand of JHP's. I've heard different old wives tales about different brands- Colt is a good gun but way overpriced just for the name; Kimber is way overpriced and some they they are junk anyway; Taurus on another thread is finicky about ammo; Smith and Wesson makes great revolvers but the other stuff is not as good, and so on. Ideally, I'd like to keep this under the $800 range but could go slightly higher for the perfect gun. I don't want to join the 1911 religion or pay $4500 for a custom job. Really, it seems like nostalgia, like driving a '57 Chevy. At some point you just gotta get a 1911. I would like 3 dot sights, but not a rail because that's like putting an MP3 player and a GPS in your '57 chevy. It just ain't right. Any suggestions?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    He, he, he, there ain't no such critter, my friend. If there was, we'd all have one.

BTW- My Kimber runs pretty good. guess I got one that wasn't overpriced junk.:):

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    The 3 Kimbers I own must have been overpriced junk also, ah but wait none of them have ever had an issue and can make one small hole at 30 feet center of the target even after shooting several mags at it. :dunno: not sure what I'm doing wrong.

If I was you I would just stay with your XD and call it a day.

BUCK HINKLE

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    greenfield
    My kimber is sooo sweet, I have a p-14 that I love. I got the p-14 so I could put the kimber back in the safe.I have not been disappionted about that choice ..

scheesman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Indy
    I have to jump on the Kimber wagon too. About 2000 rounds in the last 6 weeks, including factory and reloads. No failures at all.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Check through the for sale threads, I remember seeing an AMT Hardballer for sale for less than $800. I would think for that $800 you would be able to scare up a Colt after some bargaining. I have had an AMT for 30 years and have had very little trouble, that only from after market magazines.

Rating - 100%
    137   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    I bought one of the alloy framed Taurus PT1911 just to see how it would stand up. The finish is kinda thin on the slide but,not a problem.I'm right at 800 rounds and have not had any problems what so ever,it eats any ammo I put in it.Have not noticed any abnormal wear on the alloy frame or the slide.Shoots to POA,very accurate pistol.For the price I think it's hard to beat.Just my opinion.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I traded off a Taurus 1911 a while back, big mistake, I ended up trading into a Kimber and I've been less than satisfied with the kimber, For the money the Taurus was more gun, now before you kimber junkies whine, I didn't say the kimber was less of a firearm than the Taurus, I'm saying function per dollar the taurus is a better deal.

The taurus was almost as accurate and the sights were regulated to the correct elevation, the taurus ate 200gr SWC lead all day long, The Taurus shortcomings were that for one its not a true 1911, so if you go buy parts off the open market for a 1911 a lot of the important ones won't fit the Taurus. So if you are going to tinker with the gun then forget the Taurus you will spend more time fitting and buying special parts than its worth. The taurus trigger bar would drag on all but taurus magazines, I had to modify the trigger bar and clean up burr's and high spots in the mag well to function with non taurus magazines.

Bottom line if you wanted to shoot the gun and buy taurus mags and not change anything then the taurus is the one for you

The Kimber is a 1911 and aftermarket parts fit fine but I'm honked off because this great Kimber out of the box shoots off the bottom of the paper with any 45 ammo out there, the trigger is good but not great, Fit and finish are very good but not great (that may be a bit critical), I really expected more from a premium firearm and I didn't get it.

I will end up doing trigger work and putting sights on the Kimber, I don't feel that I should have had to.

I've owned several 1911's over the years and I would not be ashamed to shoot the Taurus (if I were not a tinkerer)

so decide, if you want to use it as is out of the box or not,

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Forgive me for asking an emotional question that probably has been hashed out before, but here goes.

I'm feeling needful of a full size 1911 at some point, and here's what I'm looking for: Not a PRIMARY home defense gun, as nothing can beat the XD45 for tactical, reliability, and capacity issues, but perhaps primarily a range gun and secondarily a defense or carry gun. I'd like accuracy within reason, not necissarily match grade, but I do want to be able to consistently hit the "kill zone" with average skill at 21 feet. More importantly, reliability. Is there any such 1911 that right out of the box can shoot several thousand rounds of ANY 45acp ammo without being cleaned, with no FTE's or FTF's? I'd like to be able to shoot any ammo reliably, not just FMJ's or a certain brand of JHP's. I've heard different old wives tales about different brands- Colt is a good gun but way overpriced just for the name; Kimber is way overpriced and some they they are junk anyway; Taurus on another thread is finicky about ammo; Smith and Wesson makes great revolvers but the other stuff is not as good, and so on. Ideally, I'd like to keep this under the $800 range but could go slightly higher for the perfect gun. I don't want to join the 1911 religion or pay $4500 for a custom job. Really, it seems like nostalgia, like driving a '57 Chevy. At some point you just gotta get a 1911. I would like 3 dot sights, but not a rail because that's like putting an MP3 player and a GPS in your '57 chevy. It just ain't right. Any suggestions?

You can get several quality 1911's in your price range. They will most likely be basic "GI" models without all the bells and whistles we all enjoy. That would do just fine. I would suggest a Springfield if you go the GI route. You could always add aftermarket parts later if you feel like it. If you stick with one of the top manufacturers you won't have to worry about reliability. Don't buy into the finicky 1911 myth. Just like all handguns you may find a brand or two that your gun doesn't like, or you may not. It won't be a situation where it will only function with a select few brands. This is not unusual.

You'll never go wrong with a Colt but, yes, you will pay more for them. It will be difficult to find one new in your price range and considering this will primarily be a range gun you may or may not be able to justify the cost. Colt is my manufacturer of choice when it comes to 1911s. Kimber is excellent as well. IIRC, Kimber sells the most 1911 right now. The complaints usually leveled at Kimber are that they have a few extra MIM parts then others. This may or may not matter to you. As a range gun it's a non-issue. As a carry gun if it bothers you can change them out. MIM isn't to equivalent cheap plastic (like some of Colt's mainspring housings. It's just not the best manufacturing process. Springfield is excellent as well. The great thing about them is that they have everything from budget $500-$600 guns up to decked out guns with salty price tags.

Para is worthy of honorable mention. There are a lot of good things to say about them. However, some of their models are not true 1911s (to the purist.) I wouldn't touch a Taurus with a ten foot pole. I have very little experience with S&W 1911s so I can't comment on them.

PLANEMECH

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    I wouldn't trade my Colt COO for anything. I have shot Kimbers and they are equally nice. But if price is what concerns you look at the Tarus, Springfeild. A guy at work has a Rock Island I believe and he is happy with it. They are not to badly priced.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Id go with a used kimber

Ditto on the used Kimber.. I've never had an issue with my Kimber Gen I compact and I test every 1911 I get to see if it will feed empty cases.. My feeling is that if it will feed an empty case it will feed anything. The 1911s I've tested are about 50/50 on the empty cases but the Kimber passed with flying colors.. Can't speak about others but I can say that the one I have was picked up used and is top notch. What more can you ask for than reliability and shooting 1 large ragged hole at 7 yards:dunno:

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    The perfect gun only exists in the perfect world.

But then again, if it were a perfect world, you would not need a 1911 for PD. The Kimber crowd has spoken but I am a fan of Springfield and Taurus, Rock Islands are OK, but not as well made as a more expensive firearm. It is not a perfect world you get what you pay for. FWIW i'd advise you to save up and buy the gun you want instead of the one you can afford right now. Buying cheap and modifying ends up costing more in the long run.

PTinbound

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    DeMotte
    Thanks folks. I guess I'm leaning toward a Kimber now, but I will have to save up quite a bit longer. They seem to be in the $1200 range at Cabela's near me, and my wife has me on a gun budget now. I guess I spent too much money last year :(
    I also need a good long range rifle and a 20 gauge semi auto for my recoil sensitive wife and daughter, so I've got a lot of decisions to make!

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    Anyone have experience with the Rock Island 1911s?
    Yep, you can't beat that pistol for the price. It's dependable and accurate and they put a nice polish on the frame and barrel ramp and I haven't been able to make mine choke on anything I have fed it, and that finish they use is pretty sweet, looks similar to parkerizing but alot smoother and easier to clean up all around. The RIA's are a deal for what they can be had for.
    FWIW I have had 2 of the Taurus 1911's, started with the blued model and went to the stainless when they came out, with the enhancements that gun has out of the box it's a steal in the 1911 price range, and quite frankly I've become skeptical of Taurus having had a few of their tupperware guns, but their 1911 is a reliable quality firearm and right up there with their 92 series and some of the older wheel guns they put out.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    If you watch GunBroker.com you can find new and used Kimbers for a lot less than that. I bought a Kimber TLE Custom II for $840 and that included the shipping and my transfer fee to my FFL, it was NIB from a gunstore in AZ. I also bought a used Kimber Pro-Carry 1st generation that looked brand new for $750. The deals are on there but you have to be careful how much you bid on something (in your figuring the total price look at shipping and transfer fees).

Top Bottom