• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LINEOFDEFENSE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    LAFAYETTE, IN
    GSG5 had it for a year in the safe...finally took it out to play. After 1000rds went to clean, and just about finished and made the mistake of spraying it with Gunscrubber....ouch!

Titanium "anniversay" coating came dripping off. Ive coated before, but just dont have the time...and want it done professionally. Who is the best to take it to? I live in lafayette and would rather not drive farther than an hour Indy or Merrillville.

PS: Cost not a big deal, but would rather it not be more than the rifle cost originally:)...

JUST FYI...the gun is clean. The silver shiny parts are where the coating dripped off. I finally just quit wiping it down, which is where the dark gray coating remains. A quick shot of gunscrubber...and it will drip off like water...unbelievable. I know with their 1911 I had jamming issues until i sanded the coating off the slide. Everytime id have a range day, the coating would flake off and gum up the action. Thanks to a youtube video I watched, found out the coating was the issue. Thank the Lord I didnt get any of the gunscrubber on my sd rubber handguard...

Here are the pics...will update with progress...heres a chance for some coater to get some great advertising....keep the posts coming, would love to get this dropped off this weekend. :ingo:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    AllenM does Cerakote - not sure how good that is for a rifle though [no experience with a cerakoted rifle myself]... His stuff he's done is amazing.

LINEOFDEFENSE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    LAFAYETTE, IN
    Ive never had any experience with cerakoat, but as long as it wears the same and/or better than duracoat ill ck him out. If anyone ACTUALLY has experienced a difference in cerakoat vs duracoat lmk....Also, I would really like the individual to reassemble the rifle afterwards (to be sure everything is coated uniformly). I assume that would be done everytime by a professional coater...but you know what they say about assuming.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Ive never had any experience with cerakoat, but as long as it wears the same and/or better than duracoat ill ck him out. If anyone ACTUALLY has experienced a difference in cerakoat vs duracoat lmk....Also, I would really like the individual to reassemble the rifle afterwards (to be sure everything is coated uniformly). I assume that would be done everytime by a professional coater...but you know what they say about assuming.
    IMHO Cerakote > Durakote. Cerakote is a ceramic-based coating ... not sure about duracoat.

That said if AllenM is up to doing it, he'll have no issues with you assembling it right in front of him to check for issues I'm sure.

heatman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2012
    Sheridan
    Don't know about ceracoating but have you considered duracoating yourself? I had some neglected long guns I did myself using their do-it yourself kits and it came out great! Easy to do and if I remember right it was around $50 or so for the kit and that was enough for 2 long guns. Look for the videos on youtube.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Having now passed 50 projects with Duracoat and a pink camo 10-22 in process, I have been very happy with the Duracoat. Surface prep and using their cleaner has been key for me. If you decide to try your own, i will be glad to talk you through it.

Top Bottom