Where does the M&P15 fall in terms of quality?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have an M&P15OR and am wondering if anyone knows where this rifle falls in terms of quality. From what I can find on the S&W website, it has a 7075-T6 lower and upper and chrome lined barrel, chamber, bolt carrier and gas key. The barrel is 4140 but I can find nothing on the quality of the bolt itself. I was thinking that this is mid-level but when I do a bit of research on my DPMS Oracle, I find that it also has a 4140 barrel (no chrome though) and 7075-T6 upper and lower.

Does anyone know where the M&P 15s rank in terms of quality? I'd like to prep one of these rifles to be able to handle a class or two this summer if I can swing it.

Thanks,

paddywonka

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2009
    Shot my friends, and thought the fit & finish was as good a my DPMS (which I am very satisfied with).

cubbetm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    I put 5000 rounds throught my m&p15or then stopped counting. Only problem I had was when the frog lube gelled up one winter. First shot I had to use the FA and then it was good. Great rifle!

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    You have a fine rifle. Don't worry about it. The AR Snobs will be along soon and tell you how much crap you have to hang off of it to improve it or to tell you that 4140 is crap steel compared to 4150....ignore them and enjoy your gun.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Quality wise.. I'd say a midrange AR.. in the league with the Colt LE6920, DoubleStar's, Spikes, Bushey XM's, PSA Premium line, Stag, etc... def better than a run of the mill DPMS IMO. A good midrange AR will be mil spec. Google image search at15 vs m16 bolt carrier. Based on the M&P15 I had, I'm guessing yours is milspec, as everything in mine was, minus the barrel, And it looks like you're in the same boat as me :cool:

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Shot my friends, and thought the fit & finish was as good a my DPMS (which I am very satisfied with).

Why did you shoot your friends? That doesn't seem like a great way to keep a friend.

I've had a pair of them for about 2 months now and so far I'm really happy. Great for AR practice on a budget.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    The AR Snobs will be along soon

"The AR snobs will be along soon" :rolleyes:

Now to the OP............

Run it until something breaks, then replace it.

It doesn't make much sense to replace parts just for the sake of "upgrading".
    Make more sense to buy a rifle from the start with the better parts if you intend to turn the rifle into something other than what it started out as.

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    Buddy has one, loves it. Hasn't had any problems with it. We ran the crap out of the thing a month or so ago and it just kept asking for more. If you're worried about one gun going down take the other one as a back up. I'd take a back up regardless of the quality of my gun though. They've got moving parts, they're going to fail sometime or another and it would suck to have one fail and have to sit out the rest of class because you didn't bring a spare. One is none, two is one.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I love mine! Never had a single issue. I've got Profire doing a ladder load of 69gr for me, so hopefully soon I'll be able to take it down to Atterbury and report on it's accuracy.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Who cares what standard of "quality" it is. It's from S&W backed by one of the best warranties in the business. *in my opinion*

Shoot the hell outa it, and have fun :):

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    A friend at work just bought an M&P Sport. $599 total. He's pretty happy about it and I don't blame him. Seemed like a quality rifle.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    Over rounds through mine. 2 malfunctions, 1 fail to eject 1 fail to feed, both in same string of fie after 2500 plus rounds w/o cleaning in 10 degree weather. Pulled Out bolt assembly, wiped off on shirt out back together and ran another 200 rounds no issue. Quality rifle, goes bang when needed

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom