• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • timhixson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    I recently got an International Harvester M1 Garand in a trade deal. I did a little searching and seems prices are all over the place for them.

My gun has the Springfield reciever, and LMR barrel. It came with the bayonette and about 50 clips. The stock shows it has been repaired near the butt plate. It has the grease, and cleaning rod ect in the butt area.

I live in south east Indiana (Batesville) Where should I go to get this looked at?

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Well if the receiver is a Springfield armory you do not have a international harvester.
    The LMR is a barrel for harvesters. It was probably added during a refurb. Do you have any pictures you could post or email? I could give you a pretty realistic price with some good pictures.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I recently got an International Harvester M1 Garand in a trade deal. I did a little searching and seems prices are all over the place for them.

My gun has the Springfield reciever, and LMR barrel. It came with the bayonette and about 50 clips. The stock shows it has been repaired near the butt plate. It has the grease, and cleaning rod ect in the butt area.

I live in south east Indiana (Batesville) Where should I go to get this looked at?

Not sure how extensive you want the appraiser to be or where you want to get the appraising done? But If you go on line to the web site of Scott Duff he does appraisals. He USED to charge $50.00 for his services with signed documentation. In case you do not know who Scott Duff is? Next to John Garand himself he is the foremost authority on the M1 Garand rifle and actually is a close personal friend of the John Garand family. Anyway, hope this helps?:D

timhixson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    It says international harvester behind the rear sight. Serial # 5159279. The plate that covers the clip loading area says D28287-12SA I thought that was the reviever, and SA was for springfield armory.

Please excuse my ignorance. I called that flat plate the reciever as the bullets go in there.

The barrel says LMR D6535448 2 54 A30. It also has a "P" stamped sideways on it.

I can email pictures. What address should I send them to?

Thanks for the input everyone!

Tim

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    It says international harvester behind the rear sight. Serial # 5159279. The plate that covers the clip loading area says D28287-12SA I thought that was the reviever, and SA was for springfield armory.

Please excuse my ignorance. I called that flat plate the reciever as the bullets go in there.

The barrel says LMR D6535448 2 54 A30. It also has a "P" stamped sideways on it.

I can email pictures. What address should I send them to?

Thanks for the input everyone!

Tim

It sounds like your bolts is SA (Springfield Armory) and your receiver is Harvester. From your description your barrel appears to be Harvester as well. Are there numbers stamped in the barrel channel of your stock?

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    An Internation Harvester reciever with LMR barrel is a nice combination. Sounds like you have some other USGI parts in the gun, which isn't uncommon.

As an earlier poster mentioned, check out the CMP website for a good "ball park" of what a typical M1 will bring in certain conditions. You can probably add $100 to $150 for the IHC reciever and LMR barrel, as those are a bit more desireable.

Realistically, you probably have a rifle worth somewhere between $800 - $1200 if it is in good condition.

timhixson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    It sounds like your bolts is SA (Springfield Armory) and your receiver is Harvester. From your description your barrel appears to be Harvester as well. Are there numbers stamped in the barrel channel of your stock?

There is nothing visible from the outside. I would need to take the stock off to check this correct?

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    There is nothing visible from the outside. I would need to take the stock off to check this correct?

Yes, you would need to remove the receiver and barrel from the stock. Then inside the stock in the barrel channel look for stamped numbers. IHC stocks were stamped in the barrel channel. If it is stamped you are one very, very, very lucky person. A IHC stock in good condition by itself can be worth upwards of $500-$700 dollars.

timhixson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Yes, you would need to remove the receiver and barrel from the stock. Then inside the stock in the barrel channel look for stamped numbers. IHC stocks were stamped in the barrel channel. If it is stamped you are one very, very, very lucky person. A IHC stock in good condition by itself can be worth upwards of $500-$700 dollars.

Thank you. I an going to do some reading tomorrow before i attempt to take it apart. I don't want to screw it up.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Thank you. I an going to do some reading tomorrow before i attempt to take it apart. I don't want to screw it up.

There are some good how-to's on the CMP's website on how to take down an M1 correctly. It is easy to field strip (remove trigger group, separate barreled action from stock) so you don't have much to worry about.

karl77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Calumet township/Lake County
    if you have a Springfield made receiver FOR harvester (will have IHC *******, with SA heat treat codes on the dog legs), then it is a fairly rare (slightly more than IHC made receiver). had one in the Garand collectors mag last year (spring, i think).

would take very nice pics and get a hold of scott duff.

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Should have asked earlier, is there an import mark on the barrel by the front sight? It would say blue sky or Arlington ordnance most likely if there was.
    Also, are there any markings on the stock? A eagle and stars in a box on the side of the stock?

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    if you have a Springfield made receiver FOR harvester (will have IHC *******, with SA heat treat codes on the dog legs), then it is a fairly rare (slightly more than IHC made receiver). had one in the Garand collectors mag last year (spring, i think).

would take very nice pics and get a hold of scott duff.

This is true. Springfield made receivers for a while and shipped them to Evansville where all IHCs were assembled. Eventually most of the parts were made in Etown. I think the Springfield/IHC receivers were the "postage stamp" variety. (There were 4 varieties of receivers; Springfield/IHC Postage Stamps, IHC Postage Stamps, Arrow Heads and Gap Letters.)

Line Material Company (LMR) from Birmingham, Alabama made most if not all of the barrels that Harvesters used. So an IHC receiver with an LMR barrel stamped with an early 1950s date is very definitely authentic.

IHCs are the rarest of the M1s, with somewhat over 330,000 made. Next, I believe, was Harrington & Richardson (HRA) with 420,000+, then Winchester with 500,000+. Springield made over 4,100,000.It sounds like you have a good one. Don't sell it unless the kids need an operation or the ole lady needs new shoes.;)

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    An interesting side note: A friend called me a couple years ago and asked if $2,200 was a good price for an "original" IHC Garand. He said a guy in his 80s who said he worked in the plant (later the Whirlpool plant on Hwy 41 on the north side of Evansville) had it. My buddy brought it over and my eyes about popped out. It was pristine and was pure IHC. It had the wide front sight blades, the slightly large stock at the receiver and an LMR barrel. I popped it apart and ALL parts were stamped IHC. The op rod, all pieces of the trigger group, the bolt, the rear sight and best of all, the stock had the signature 4 digit serial stamped in it. The really cool part was that there was no proof mark or defense acceptance stamp on it! In other words, it "walked" out of the back door of the plant!! I told him if he didn't grab it I would. What a find.

timhixson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Should have asked earlier, is there an import mark on the barrel by the front sight? It would say blue sky or Arlington ordnance most likely if there was.
    Also, are there any markings on the stock? A eagle and stars in a box on the side of the stock?

I need to check the barrel, but the stock has no marks that show on it.

The barrel does have NM stamped on it. I think I read that means National Match?? It that anything special?

Last edited:

timhixson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    They guy that traded it to me said his dad brought it back from the korean war. I was dumb struck. There is no way I would be getting rid of something my dad used to protect my freedoms.

I have some pictures, but need to go read the faq on posting them.

I know everyone likes a story so here is the one on this gun.

About a year ago I bought a non-running kids quad for $100. It was a china junker, but I got it running with a carb clean and my 6 year old son rode it for the season. Around last august I put it for sale or trade on craigslist, and traded for a very nice 8hp Evinrude outboard motor.

That went back on craiglist and I ended up trading for a 1969 Glastron 17' pleasure boat with a galvanized trailer and 115 Johnson outboard on it.

I recently put that on craigslist and traded it for this gun and about 600 rounds of ammo and about 50 clips.

Sooo..bottom line I am only into this gun for about $100 and some time and gas money.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    203   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    They guy that traded it to me said his dad brought it back from the korean war. I was dumb struck. There is no way I would be getting rid of something my dad used to protect my freedoms.

I have some pictures, but need to go read the faq on posting them.

I know everyone likes a story so here is the one on this gun.

About a year ago I bought a non-running kids quad for $100. It was a china junker, but I got it running with a carb clean and my 6 year old son rode it for the season. Around last august I put it for sale or trade on craigslist, and traded for a very nice 8hp Evinrude outboard motor.

That went back on craiglist and I ended up trading for a 1969 Glastron 17' pleasure boat with a galvanized trailer and 115 Johnson outboard on it.

I recently put that on craigslist and traded it for this gun and about 600 rounds of ammo and about 50 clips.

Sooo..bottom line I am only into this gun for about $100 and some time and gas money.

Sounds like you're watching too much "Barter Kings" on A & E network.
    Great story though. There are a couple of people on here always trying to "trade up".

Top Bottom