• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Guess I never really noticed it until I picked up one and started shooting, but how come there seem to be so few shooting in matches?

I first noticed when they were really trying to recruit people at the TN State match just to get ten people, then I noticed today that there were only 13 in the MI Section match.

It's seems we had a huge turn-out with 26 at our section match.

Is SS fairly new to USPSA?

I thought with all the 1911 love across this nation, it'd have a lot of people shooting.

wolfy25

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Indy
    I think SS is the newest division, but I don't know when it was officially created.

I sold my SS to get a limited gun. Going from production I figured I get a better trigger,but less capacity (usually the minimum per array plus one round for loaded starts). So you get a nice race gun, but you're reloading all the time and 8 round arrays turn stages into "limited vickers". For me moving from production, a better trigger was not worth the downsides.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    SS is the newest USPSA division. It was brought on just before (or right after?) USPSA bought the rights to the Single Stack Classic match (which was created by the 1911 Society).

I haven't been to a IDPA match in some time, but most CDP and a number ESP shooters shoot 1911s.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    What I guess I meant was, with all the 1911 lovers around, I figured it would be a more popular division.

Then again, with current ammo prices and shortages, I can see why Production is so popular.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    Because it's an 8 round gun and the COF's are mostly 8 round arrays.
    No make up shots available. Fast swinger? Tough, it get's two unless you want to do a lot of standing reloads.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    When the 1911 Society was new, we used to have a single stack match using their rules immediately following the USPSA match at RileyCC every month. I started shooting USPSA with a Para-Ordnance P14.45 and I didn't own a single stack gun. I borrowed an old Colt from my brother to shoot the 1911 Society matches and that's how I got hooked on single stacks. I started shooting a single stack in USPSA Limited Division (we only had Open and Limited then) with a single stack gun (a Colt 1991A1 Commander) because I liked it better, and I relegated my Para to carry use. When Limited 10 came along, nothing really changed for me because I was already using 10 and 11 round mags in my Commander. When Single Stack Division came along, nothing changed for me again other than I couldn't use extended mags in my .45. That wasn't an issue because I was shooting a 9mm by then anyway.

If you want to shoot with a lot of single stack shooters every time, try IDPA. As Slow1911s mentioned, CDP and ESP divisions are dominated by single stack 1911s. In most club level USPSA matches, Production and Limited divisions seems to get the most participants, but in IDPA you see just as many people in CDP and ESP, especially if you combine the two to compare to the SSP (which is their equivalent of USPSA Production).

TraderJack

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    That's mostly all I shoot anymore.
    Single Stack and L10.

It's what I carry and what I compete with.
    I like being stuck in the past...

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I am going to bust out my new single stack tomorrow morning at the IDPA match in Atlanta. I will let you know how many people there are running 1911s.

Top Bottom