• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Armed Eastsider

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    I have always lived in the inner city of Indianapolis. It is normal to see very young kids outside late at night alone. Tonight I stopped at the gas station on Shadeland just south of 34th Street about 11:30 PM. Two "urban" kids, NO OLDER THAN 8, riding bikes in the gas station parking lot, weaving in and out of the pumps. Accident/kidnapping waiting to happen. One kid was wearing pajamas. I was the only vehicle in the parking lot.

Two weeks ago, the Marathon (I think its a Marathon) at the corner of Washington and Arlington, saw a group of kids, also all "urban", oldest one was about 10, walking eastbound from the gas station. It was 3:30 AM.

These are just 2 examples, I have been seeing this for as long as I can remember, but it really bothers me. No wonder these kids grow up the way they do.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Dang!
    My SEVENTEEN year old has an "inside" curfew and a bedtime!
    (no wonder I'm the title-holder of the "Meanest Mom in the World" award.)

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    The parents are doing the same thing their kids are: hanging out and partying. Kids are a mean to an end (money, aid, pity). Raising them isn't their concern. If something were to happen, it wouldn't be the parent's fault, so why worry about it?

(color the above purple if you must)

I had a pretty strict curfew growing up, and my daughter will as well. Heck, I've got a pretty strict curfew NOW!

pbgear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2010
    and when the kids get in trouble the parents swear their baby is innocent of all charges

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    Doesnt matter. It's a dog eat dog world in the jungle.

Afew days ago, on my South on Rural (keystone), a small (No older than 7-8) ran into the street, Im clocking 45, I see it, I start saying "DONT DO IT" Kid did it. He ran out infront of my car, then jumped back, I managed to stop the car with him near the window of the front, alittle past.

Kid had the nerve to look at me like I did something wrong.

Not the first time for something similar. Unfortunately, at night, I can barely see them, when they ride they're peddle bikes, or walking in the middle of the road. Thankgod for the wife or else I'd have afew new hood ornaments.

Now, as a Child I was very free, at age 11-12 I'd ride my bike, or skate 20miles up to Nobleville, prior to that, I was known to walk 4-5 miles to Castleton.

Times were very different than what they are now, though.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    The problem starts at home with poor parenting but if the police would enforce the curfew then it might help . If the parents wont do their job then they should be fined when their kid is picked up and then after so many times then the parents should have to do some time. I bet when they sick of being in jail or paying fines then they might take some responsibility on parenting. they will arrest a parent for leaving a child in a car but they wont for letting their children roam the street at night. :dunno:
    It is all about the safety of the child right? Just like the other day I was driving home and this kid pulled out right in front of me on a moped . He was only about 10 yrs old. He almost didnt make it to see his next birthday. Another example of poor parenting in my mind. If he is not responsibile enough to look both ways coming onto a road with cars on it then he should not have access to a moped where he is clearly on the road with much more powerful machinery.
    Poor parenting may be a deadly cost for their children. that is very sad but I also think the LEO should step up to the plate also and enforce the laws and all of them.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Enforcing curfew laws won't keep kids inside or keep them from getting hurt or in trouble, it just keeps the police busy.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    The problem starts at home with poor parenting but if the police would enforce the curfew then it might help . If the parents wont do their job then they should be fined when their kid is picked up and then after so many times then the parents should have to do some time. I bet when they sick of being in jail or paying fines then they might take some responsibility on parenting. they will arrest a parent for leaving a child in a car but they wont for letting their children roam the street at night. :dunno:
    It is all about the safety of the child right? Just like the other day I was driving home and this kid pulled out right in front of me on a moped . He was only about 10 yrs old. He almost didnt make it to see his next birthday. Another example of poor parenting in my mind. If he is not responsibile enough to look both ways coming onto a road with cars on it then he should not have access to a moped where he is clearly on the road with much more powerful machinery.
    Poor parenting may be a deadly cost for their children. that is very sad but I also think the LEO should step up to the plate also and enforce the laws and all of them.
    I'm really have sympathy for kids with half-wit parents, but I have NO desire to be legislated into Nannyness.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Dang!
    My SEVENTEEN year old has an "inside" curfew and a bedtime!
    (no wonder I'm the title-holder of the "Meanest Mom in the World" award.)

that's what my kids tell me too!

I see some of the kids in our neighborhood doing the same thing thing, out running late at night. Causing trouble. Good thing is we have enough neighbors that keep an eye on everything they don't do bad things close to home.

duck1985

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2010
    Indianapolis- Broad Ripple
    I live in an apartment complex and I see kids running out into the street at midnight. All I can think is one of these days one kid is going to get hit and somebody is going to try to sue the complex when it's the parents fault for letting their 7 year old run around after curfew. Everytime I see them I drive right through the crowd and have a few yell at for me trying to hit them for walking in the street. There's a sidewalk kid get on it or meet the hood of my car. I have a young sister (12) and if she isn't home when my mom calls for her, she knows that she will have a full day of house work in store for her the next day.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    We deal with the same issue in our once quiet neighborhood. Every night there are roaming bands of 15ish and under kids that just walk around smoking and cussing and being loud waking everyone up. Strangely windows end up broken, cars and houses get vandalized and broke into:dunno:. My neighbor whose kids are one of the ones that roam actually told me that the neighborhood was going downhill because people arent taking care of their yards. What about the kids and crime? Sadly he is clueless. I feel sorry for those kids I know what it is like to have a noninvolved parent.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    8 year olds out by themselves, not to mention at 11:30 at night?

That's just sad.

You have to jump through hoops to drive a car or buy a gun, but any pathetic piece of :poop: can have a child.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom