• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    We've all been there. Something compelled us to buy a gun, and then we decided to carry it. And along the way we made some silly mistakes.

This was a tangent from another thread ( https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/319224-what-your-thoughts.html ) that I thought would be interesting on its own.

So what were some of the lessons you learned the hard way? Anything lurking in your gun-carrying past that you'd like to share with the rest of the class? Perhaps we can help those new to carrying avoid some of the common mistakes that first-time gun toters often make. And while there is lots of good advice to give, let's stick with the stuff you did first-hand.

Here are some gems from the other thread to get things started:

My name is Evan and I once used a Clipdraw with a Taurus PT140 Millennium Pro. :facepalm:

In my defense I was young, it was my first carry gun, and it was pre-INGO. :) I'd like to think I'm wiser now.

Well we learn from our mistakes and all we can do is try to help others when they consider making the same ones. Looking back to my early days of gun ownership I remember how bad-ass I thought my brand new 870 looked after I replaced the functional stock with just a pistol grip. Also at that time, the ink wasn't yet dry on my LTCH and I was carrying a 5 shot Charter snubbie .38 SOB in a clip-on Uncle Mike's OWB holster as a primary. It banged my tailbone with every step. :n00b:

I would never make silly mistakes like those.

My first carry gun was a Glock 17 in a.........................................................$11 Uncle Mike's floppy fabric holster.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I used to conceal... in a $25 fabric IWB holster and open carry with one of those silly, way-to-tight-to-get-the-gun-out-quickly Fobus paddle holster.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I carried my g23 small of back position in some crappy uncle mikes cloth holster. I was still waiting for my custom holster to be made from Highnoon, then I started carrying appendix, then 4 o'clock, now back to appendix.

ETA: I also carried without a good belt for the first few years...huge difference!

Last edited:

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I carried without a real belt for 3 years before learning what I was missing out on!

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    When I first started carrying (late 90's), I carried everywhere. Like the Post Office, in Illinois, Ohio and even a school to see my niece's play. I was very uneducated on the laws.

Plus most of the above about cheap holsters.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I, too, used to carry without a spare magazine, and would occasionally carry a revolver without a speedloader. For the last several years, I will not leave the house without at least one extra mag, and usually two, with a few stashed in the truck.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Well, I just recently started carrying. I keep a round chambered but the safety on... Though I can draw and flip the safety off with my thumb.

I still worry I'm going to run into an old buddy somewhere and get hugged or something and my gun show.

I still think people know I have a gun.

I carry a mid-to-full sized 45ACP and it's not the easiest thing to conceal. Will be getting something more practical in the coming months.

Also, I open carry around the house because it's just so much more damn comfortable but will not carry like that outside of my home or back porch.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Purchased my first handgun based solely on online research, going by measurements and reviews. I did not handle multiple firearms to confirm my choice or test fire it before purchase. The choice wasn't bad, but I now advocate doing hands on checking before purchasing a defensive firearm.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Gov't Model 1911A, appendix carry, Mexican style. Condition One! That's right, possible full time "birth control" via 45Acp! Bought a couple of leather pancake style holsters, cheapie Mikes IWB, and finally learned about DeSantis, Safariland, Galco, and Bianchi. Wouldn't even think like that now since my education has been updated. All make fine holsters, shop them and be safe. Note: Never carry Glocks without a covered holster(trigger).

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    While in college I crashed my bike on the way to class. On campus. In front of probably 50-75 students.

My gun came out of my $11 fabric holster, flew over my back and landed in the grass about 10 feet away.

Even though I was bleeding fairly badly from my elbow and leg I had to hobble over and stuff it and all my books in my backpack and push my now unrideable bike out of there as quickly as I could.

Buy good gear.

Top Bottom