• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dougo3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2010
    Northwest Indiana
    I grew up in IN. Moved away in 1985. IIRC it was nearly impossible to get permit/license for handgun. Twenty years later I move back. Now you can get LTCH :yesway: and Buy Fireworks:yesway:..... but you still cannot but beer on Sunday...go figure?

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    I am not sure, but I read somewhere it was in the 1920's. I first had mine in 1973 and my dad and uncles had their's when I was little, so it's been around for a long time. I seem to remember that it used to be a shall Issue a long time ago, as I believe I had to have a reason for it. I do remember for the reason I always put down the 2nd amendment and never had a problem.

Maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in and may correct me, but it's what I remember.

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    I've tried looking up dates before, and all I find are postings about people trying to find the dates. Would be nice to know when changes were made to the LTCH's. As for beer, I believe they just passed something where local/microbreweries are/will be allowed to sell on Sundays. Not sure when that takes effect.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I grew up in IN. Moved away in 1985. IIRC it was nearly impossible to get permit/license for handgun. Twenty years later I move back. Now you can get LTCH :yesway: and Buy Fireworks:yesway:..... but you still cannot but beer on Sunday...go figure?

Its my understanding that we've had the ability to carry a gun for over 70 years.

I got my first LTCH back in the mid-80's, probably about 1985. It was simple and easy to do.

dougo3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2010
    Northwest Indiana
    Thanks for the replies. I seem to remember you had to have a specific reason to apply, like if you had to transport deposits from a business to the bank etc. I guess I am wrong. Thanks again

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Didn't we change over to a "Shall Issue" from a "May Issue" state a few years back?

In 2006 the state formalized its "stand your ground" law. But from everything I can find, we've been a "shall issue" literally dating back to the late 1935.

However, prior to a court case in 1980, the reality of 'shall' versus 'may' issue may have been somewhat muddier. While the law may not have actually changed, the enforcement of it seems to have changed.

In schubert v. debard, 398 n.e.2d 1339 (Ind. App. 1980), however, an Indiana appeals
    court ruled that the police superintendent could not use discretion to deny a license to people
    asserting a “need” to carry a concealed weapon for “self-defense.” (the statute in question,
    IC 35-23-4.1-5, stated that that the superintendent “shall issue” a license if “it appears to the
    superintendent that the applicant has a proper reason for carrying a handgun and is of good
    character and reputation and a proper person to be so licensed.”)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Indiana had laws against concealing firearms shortly after statehood in 1819.

In the 1920s there was model legislation (a model statute is written in a faculty lounge or think tank and then passed around) entitled the "Uniform Pistol Act" and the "Uniform Firearms Act". Indiana adopted some provisions (license needed to carry a pistol) of the UFA in 1935 in order to "combat crime" (but it was the last gasp of the KKK in Indiana to prevent Catholics and Blacks from carrying pistols).

In 1980 the Indiana Court of Appeals ruled that the UFA gave law enforcement no discretion in issuing LTCH. Further in 1990 the Indiana Supreme Court held that applications for LTCH is a liberty interest that an Indiana citizen may sue to achieve.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I believe this is the 1990 case Kirk mentions:
    Kellogg v. Gary, 562 N.E.2d 685, 1990 Ind. LEXIS 226 (Ind. 1990) which held that a municipality couldn't simply stop the licensing process.

See also,
    Schubert v. De Bard, 398 N.E.2d 1339 (1980) mentioned by melensdad which really established that the Act was non-discretionary and the Superintendent couldn't deny you if he didn't like your reason for carry.

Top Bottom