• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lumpagus1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2012
    Ossian
    I'm curious to see which buttstock you out there in the INGO community prefer. I myself am preferential to Magpul stocks, however, they are the only ones I've ever really shot with or "tested" (with the exception of the CAR stocks on Military M4's and A2's on M16's).

I own or have owned every collaspible Magpul stock with the exception of the UBR. If I had to choose 1 stock out of all the ones I've used so far I'd have to go with the STR, I like the enhanced cheek weld and it's not that long in terms of length. I like to shoot with my stock in about the 2 or 3 position on the buffer tube and some of the other Magpul stocks like the ACS and ACS-L are longer and just long enough for me to not be a huge fan.

Anyway, this thread is about what stock you like and why you like it. I'm not against shooting with others stocks (LMT SOPMOD, Vltor EMOD or IMOD, etc.) I just never have. Whether it's a collaspible stock, an A2 style stock, a side folder, or underfolder...which is it you like and prefer on your rifles? This can be on an AR, an AK, a SCAR, any kind of battle rifle.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    magpul CTR is nice with the soft buttpad. it feels very very sturdy and tight, which is a big plus. i don't terribly mind the M4 stock either really.. .guess i'm not that picky. the only stock i've had tear me up was the one on my Sub2k .40

Last edited:

thoroughbred

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    My houseboat on Lake Michigan
    Some stocks I have used and my opinions of them.

Lmt Sopmod-Good cheekweld, fits tight to buffer tube with no rattle yet is easy to slide and adjust, locking mechanism is solid, Rubber pad provides good grip in the chest/shoulder pocket, Pretty expensive compared to the crane b5 which is almost identical, storage tubes are nice, but arent accessed very quickly. This is on a factory lmt rifle.

Vltor Imod-Good cheekweld, but where the storage tubes meet the stock can pull facial hair and be annoying, I like that they are pretty compact, I have one on a milspec larue buffer tube and there is a slight rattle and then one on a s&w factory rifle that has no rattle...so their stocks might vary on how tight they fit. The stock that was loose was the same on all my rifles, I checked when I first thought it might be the buffer tube, but its made by larue so I doubt that. Rubber pad is nice and grippy.

Magpul Ctr-Decent cheekweld, compact and light, fits tight to buffer tube and can use the locking lever to really lock it down, no storage space though, fits well into the shoulder pocket.

Magpul Moe-Pretty much the same as ctr minus the lock down lever.

Magpul Acs-Good cheekweld with lots of storage, fits tight.

I haven't actually used any of the other magpul stocks while shooting, but they all appear to be quality and I wouldnt hesitate to use one. Ctr has the most value out of pretty much any stock out there, you could probably get one for somewhere around 80$ maybe less.

Gearscout on military times has a pretty good review on their site along with some testing they did.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Here is what I look for in an AR stock:

• Solid construction
    • Lightweight
    • Protected latch
    • Ambi QD slots
    • No wiggle on tube
    • Rubberized no-slip buttpad
    • Doesn't make my rifle look like ass
    For me I've found these things in the Magpul CTR and have been very happy with the stock.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I like cheap and functional. Magpul MOE fit those just fine for me and didn't pull my beard like the m4 stock did.

jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    I like the CTR and STR, the STR feels better on my cheek. I also like the Rogers Super Stock that came on my LE9620.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I like the non-collapsible standard M-16 stock. Good and consistent cheek weld, and nothing I do benefits from a shorter stock so the collapsible doesn't do me any good.

I'm very KISS oriented with my firearms.

lumpagus1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2012
    Ossian
    I like the non-collapsible standard M-16 stock. Good and consistent cheek weld, and nothing I do benefits from a shorter stock so the collapsible doesn't do me any good.

I'm very KISS oriented with my firearms.

I had wandered when there would be someone who prefers the A2 stype stocks to the collaspible ones. I'm not totally shocked to see that there aren't more people would prefer A2 style stocks but I am a little shocked that there has only been one person who prefers them up to this point. I'm currently in the works of building an 18" SPR and I'm putting a Magpul PRS on it. I've fingered it while it was on a G3 Clone, can't remember the civilian designation, and it was nice but that thing was outrageously heavy. I'm really curious to see how it'll feel getting a cheekweld with the PRS and also in an AR configuration. I'm still really curious to see how the cheekweld feels on a UBR and also how I keep hearing that it balances a heavy front end rifle.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I like my Magpul ACS-L, does everything I need and for $85 its a great purchase. Add the extended pad and it'll have a great feel. I have played with the STR but the battery compartments don't feel secure. The MOE is ok but not much better than a carbine stock. I've never bothered with the VLTOR stocks... looks like they were designed by the blind, just my :twocents:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I've been happy with the RRA Operator stock. Decent construction. Gives me the battery storage and sling attachment options I wanted. Didn't break the bank. Doesn't pull facial hair.

The only drawback is the dumb name. The only thing worse would have been the "High-Speed Low-Drag Tactical Operator" stock. ;)

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Magpul MOE suits me just fine for what I need, and for fixed stocks I don't think you can beat good ol' A1 stock. I hate A2 stocks.

solution_zero

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indy
    Cavalry Manufacturing C1, a fixed A1 length stock. I had Magpul CTRs on all my ARs, but always kept them at A1 length, so I just switched back to A1 stocks.

Top Bottom