• printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    zs55m45-cur.gif

Ever seen these or something similar. Why do they exist?

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Well everyone acts like we as cops go out and write tickets to pad our agencies budget and it's just not the case. The vast majority of the ticket prices go to the court and the state........not too the agency that is actually out there writing the tickets. So to me from the other side, the aurgument that it's just a revenue generator falls flat.

It doesn't fall flat.

Montana: No Speed Limit - Safety Paradox - Press Releases - National Motorists Association

I haven't seen any conclusive evidence that speed limits improve traffic safety in any way, especially artificially lowered speed limits. In fact, the evidence seems to suggest the opposite: speed limits decrease traffic safety.

My theory: Maybe most people aren't complete idiots. Maybe we're capable of deciding what speed is safe for us to travel. Obviously there are still some idiots, and if these idiots don't care about their own safety then they probably won't care about a speed limit sign either.

It's really quite similar to gun control. Safe drivers will drive safely regardless of the speed limit. Unsafe drivers will drive recklessly regardless of the speed limit. Turning safe drivers into criminals is not the solution.

The revenue from these tickets, however, is too great to be ignored. So your masters will continue to convince you that you're doing us all a public service by collecting our money while we try to drive to work.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    zs55m45-cur.gif

Ever seen these or something similar. Why do they exist?

A feeble attempt to keep idiots from creating a rolling roadblock. Some idiot was driving on I-65 this weekend in the right-hand lane with his flashers on - doing about 35 MPH in a 70 zone. Traffic was snarled behind him as we all tried to move left, including semi's. Lots of close calls as folks had to cut their speed in half and switch lanes in the middle of an interstate.

If you can't (or won't) get up to speed, get off the road.

Back on the posted speed topic... Remember, the limit is for the lowest common denominator. There are some scary vehicles on the road, and some scary drivers. The speed limit keeps us all operating within the same range. This includes a 100 year old, half-blind, reaction time measured in days, driver of a 5-ton, 50 year old rusted-out wagon with semi-functional brakes and no turn signals.

Strengthen the requirements for drivers licenses, and we could likely do away with all the silly road laws.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I just drove through Indy. Is anyone at all aware that the speed limit on I-70 going through downtown is 55 (in one place 50)? I habitually set my cruise control equal to the speed limit, and apparently this has the effect of royally pissing off Indiana drivers. Not a single car, truck, or semi was going slower than 65, and many had to be approaching 75. We passed two cops, one sitting on the median with his radar gun out, and nobody made the slightest move to slow down. There's apparently no need, because he didn't bother going after anyone.

Libertarians like me like to argue that speed limits are pointless, and that as long as traffic is flowing smoothly the speed at which it is doing so is immaterial. For all practical purposes, Indy was just a perfect demonstration of this. So why have a speed limit at all? Nobody in Indiana seems to care what the signs say.

Which lane were you in? If you were in the far left lane, it would have pissed me off, too, regardless of what speed you were traveling. If you are in the far left lane and a car is behind you going faster, you should move over and let him go by.

If, on the other hand, you were in the far right lane, no one had any reason to be angry with you.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I generally set my cruise equal to the speed limit and travel in the lane next to the far left. This keeps me out of the way of folks merging from the right and allows others to pass me on the left.

smoking357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Mindin' My Own Business
    Well everyone acts like we as cops go out and write tickets to pad our agencies budget and it's just not the case. The vast majority of the ticket prices go to the court and the state........not too the agency that is actually out there writing the tickets. So to me from the other side, the aurgument that it's just a revenue generator falls flat.

I don't get why you do it. Traffic laws don't make anyone safer. Everyone knows the traffic laws are just a means to extract revenue and search for other "crimes," such as drugs. The enforcement of traffic laws has done the most to tell now two or three generations of Americans that the laws are not worthy of respect and that the government is out for its own purposes at the expense of the citizens.

Gun ownership likes cops far more than the general public, so you're in a very friendly crowd here. In the general public, effectively nobody likes to see you around. People are afraid when they see you in their mirror or walking around. They think you're going to bully them, taser them, lie about them or kill them. Many think you're looking for a bribe. Nobody thinks you're employed to help anyone. They think your entire purpose is to raise cash for the government. In a restaurant, they'll sit on the other side. They'll stop their discussions if you're around. This isn't the view you'll get on INGO, because, for some bewildering reason, gun owners have proven themselves to be very pro-authority, but it is the view held by large swaths of the general population, especially the college-educated.

People like Dirty Harry taking down Scorpio, because Scorpio is a genuine dirtbag who needs to be taken out, but nobody ever makes a movie about the great traffic cop hero, because the traffic cops prey on the citizens, not the bad guys.

I just don't see how anyone could stomach hunting his fellow citizens, every day, ruining lives and impoverishing families. I can see how a cop could, in good conscience, direct traffic at a busy intersection in New York, but I don't see how a cop could make it his daily business to take money from his fellow citizens.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Strengthen the requirements for drivers licenses, and we could likely do away with all the silly road laws.

I used to love this idea. However, I feel, IMHO, that driving is a right, just as being able to walk down the sidewalk. With that in mind, creating more strict requirements = more government involvement with more of your daily life.

Repeal some of the traffic laws and enforce the reckless driving section of the laws.

If you're on the interstate driving like a manic with your hair on fire, or driving a car that isn't safely flowing with traffic, that's pretty well driving recklessly some how. Then yea, you'll still have idiots, but everyone makes mistakes while driving sometimes. You swerve too far while looking at something, or talking on your cell, whatever. But if you drive recklessly, sorry, ticket. You'll wise up and drive safely after a couple hundred dollars in tickets every month....

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I generally set my cruise equal to the speed limit and travel in the lane next to the far left. This keeps me out of the way of folks merging from the right and allows others to pass me on the left.

This seems reasonable to me, and I don't see why it made anyone mad. It's the slow left lane drivers that bug me. My theory is that there are two types: Morons and vigilantes. The morons don't know any better, and the vigilantes are trying to enforce the speed limit.

I lived in Germany for several years, and in Germany, one of the worst things you can do is to drive too slowly for the lane you're in. Passing on the right is a big no no. If you are in any lane but the far right, and a car comes up behind you, you are to move over. This keeps cars not fast enough to travel in the far left lane (even to pass) from having to pass on the right to get around you.

Also, there are public service billboards on the highway system that show a picture of a vehicle in the left lane with a long line of cars behind it, and the words, Und Sie? Which in this context roughly translates to, "Is this you?"

Except for the summer traffic, German highways are a pleasure to drive.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    If you are in the far left lane and a car is behind you going faster, you should move over and let him go by.

THIS ^!!!!

Get your slow as snails , Sunday driving , speed limit doing butt in the right lane !!!!!

Regardless of what the far left lane is technically supposed to be used for EVERYBODY knows it's the fast lane for those of us who wish to speed .

smoking357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Mindin' My Own Business
    I lived in Germany for several years, and in Germany, one of the worst things you can do is to drive too slowly for the lane you're in. Passing on the right is a big no no. If you are in any lane but the far right, and a car comes up behind you, you are to move over. This keeps cars not fast enough to travel in the far left lane (even to pass) from having to pass on the right to get around you.

Were there speed limits? American cops are looking for any reason to write you a ticket and steal $300 from you, so until we get rid of these stupid speed limits, we have no right to complain about someone going 55 in the left lane.

I'll take the freedom approach. Anyone else with me?

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Were there speed limits? American cops are looking for any reason to write you a ticket and steal $300 from you, so until we get rid of these stupid speed limits, we have no right to complain about someone going 55 in the left lane.

I'll take the freedom approach. Anyone else with me?

Well, I hope it's understood that this is what I'm after. I honestly feel like I'm endangering myself and others by doing the speed limit in situations like the one described, but that's not a defense if I'm the one randomly selected to be the State's next meal. There's no room in my budget for a $300 ticket just because I wanted to keep up with traffic and coexist peacefully and safely with my fellow drivers.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    We passed two cops, one sitting on the median with his radar gun out, and nobody made the slightest move to slow down. There's apparently no need, because he didn't bother going after anyone.

Make no mistake, Oklahoma. He would have come after YOU. ;)

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Well, I hope it's understood that this is what I'm after. I honestly feel like I'm endangering myself and others by doing the speed limit in situations like the one described, but that's not a defense if I'm the one randomly selected to be the State's next meal. There's no room in my budget for a $300 ticket just because I wanted to keep up with traffic and coexist peacefully and safely with my fellow drivers.

If you get a $300 ticket in Indiana outside a construction zone and not driving a commercial vehicle, you were REALLY messing up something AWFUL! :laugh: Largest speeding ticket I've had was $185 and that was for 75 in a 20. But the officer was taking some crazy guy's word for it and didn't actually clock me so I beat the ticket in court.

I fought the law and I won! :D

Top Bottom