• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    If you are OCing rifle then you're 3 degrees of deviation from the societal norm. I'm not talking about carrying a rifle to go hunting or to a gunshop/gunsmith, I'm talking about OCing a rifle for personal protection.

I often carry my loaded rifle in my vehicles if I am not going to be parked in town for long periods of time or especially if I am going far from home I will pack my rifle along.

The reason I do not typically carry a rifle on my person has everything to do with the convenience of carrying a pistol instead. A pistol is a poor fight stopper and harder to hit your targets with.

badwolf.usmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    2 hourse SE of Chicago
    I often carry my loaded rifle in my vehicles if I am not going to be parked in town for long periods of time or especially if I am going far from home I will pack my rifle along.

The reason I do not typically carry a rifle on my person has everything to do with the convenience of carrying a pistol instead. A pistol is a poor fight stopper and harder to hit your targets with.

That's a different scenario than OCing a rifle but having a rifle in your vehicle is good for SHTF planning.

The practicality of pistol vs rifle for personal defense is a different issue that is better served in it's own thread. I'm not a weapon defense guru so i can't speak to that issue anyway.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    That's a different scenario than OCing a rifle but having a rifle in your vehicle is good for SHTF planning.

The practicality of pistol vs rifle for personal defense is a different issue that is better served in it's own thread. I'm not a weapon defense guru so i can't speak to that issue anyway.

Ok... You kind of proved my point though. I presented a couple very valid reasons to have a rifle for self defense even in an urban area. In fact in a way carrying one while riding a bike is no different than having it in my vehicle.

Otherwise at that point it is simply opinion as to the suitability just like an OC/CC argument. The point is that the the weapon is there and can be useful.

A good reason for carrying a rifle in self defense would be if you did not have a LTCH.

badwolf.usmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    2 hourse SE of Chicago
    Ok... You kind of proved my point though. I presented a couple very valid reasons to have a rifle for self defense even in an urban area. In fact in a way carrying one while riding a bike is no different than having it in my vehicle.

Otherwise at that point it is simply opinion as to the suitability just like an OC/CC argument. The point is that the the weapon is there and can be useful.

A good reason for carrying a rifle in self defense would be if you did not have a LTCH.

The reason i say having a rifle in your vehicle is good for a SHTF scenario is due to my philosophy on SHTF and firearms, which is that basically pistols are carried to got you to your vehicle, and your vehicle is to get you home. The rifle is there to help you get home. Anything more than that is overkill and thus not needed.

I'm trying to stay away from the CC vs OC angle, thus the reason I didn't suggest carrying the rifle in a case or a backpack. It's not relevant to the societal norm issue. Having a rifle on your person is different than having it in your vehicle, and if it is on your back then it's on your person.

Not having a LTCH is A reason to carry a rifle for personal defense, but i wouldn't call it a good one.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    The reason i say having a rifle in your vehicle is good for a SHTF scenario is due to my philosophy on SHTF and firearms, which is that basically pistols are carried to got you to your vehicle, and your vehicle is to get you home. The rifle is there to help you get home. Anything more than that is overkill and thus not needed.

I'm trying to stay away from the CC vs OC angle, thus the reason I didn't suggest carrying the rifle in a case or a backpack. It's not relevant to the societal norm issue. Having a rifle on your person is different than having it in your vehicle, and if it is on your back then it's on your person.

Not having a LTCH is A reason to carry a rifle for personal defense, but i wouldn't call it a good one.

I think we are on the same page for the most part, I'm just a bit more open minded in this area, but I'm an OCer so that stands to reason. Either way :ingo:

badwolf.usmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    2 hourse SE of Chicago
    I think we are on the same page for the most part, I'm just a bit more open minded in this area, but I'm an OCer so that stands to reason. Either way :ingo:

It's not that I'm not open minded, nor that I'm against it. It's just that it's against societal norm to OC a rifle. Personally, I'm glade we live in a society where carrying a rifle all the time isn't necessary, the parts of the world where it is are places i wouldn't want to live.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    It's not that I'm not open minded, nor that I'm against it. It's just that it's against societal norm to OC a rifle. Personally, I'm glade we live in a society where carrying a rifle all the time isn't necessary, the parts of the world where it is are places i wouldn't want to live.

I completely agree. I don't want to live where a rifle would be NECESSARY but that doesn't mean I don't want the ability...

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    A group march is different than a lone individual walking down the street.

it has nothing to do with OCing a rifle, and society norm does not change every day. It changes over time, but not that fast. While you may help everyone you come across, it is not the society norm anymore.

And you miss the point of the argument. Legality has NOTHING to do with societal norm. It has become a societal norm to speed while driving, yet it is still illegal. Hell, you would think the 2 car rule after a red light was a constitutional right here in south bend.

No, you are missing the point. Blacks being sent to the back of the bus was a "societal" norm at one time, until more people stood up against it..

OCing a rifle, and/or pistol is legal, societal norms be damned. If I was following societal norms, I wouldnt BE gun owner..

badwolf.usmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    2 hourse SE of Chicago
    No, you are missing the point. Blacks being sent to the back of the bus was a "societal" norm at one time, until more people stood up against it..

OCing a rifle, and/or pistol is legal, societal norms be damned. If I was following societal norms, I wouldnt BE gun owner..

Negative ghost rider. I'm not speaking of unicorns and wishes, I'm speaking of reality as it is right now. Nor was i speaking to the legality of the issue. As of this moment, OCing a rifle for self defense is not a social norm. Personally, i hope it never does become one.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I was at a traffic stop and the guy had 7 guns, wearing 5, 2 stashed. Nothing said about how many after the LTCH was run and Valid.

tumblr_m8t3sfUXSS1r6xgia.gif

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    In a normal stop, no limit.
    If you had a DGU...
    The defense attorney may try to portray you as "looking for trouble".
    I could be wrong though.
    After a DFU outside my property, I figure...
    EDC...10+1.
    Then, either BUG, or spare mag.
    Since the most likely point of failure is the mag, I have the spare (or the BUG).
    Most LEOs have more than that. If I'm portrayed as "looking for trouble", then aren't the LEOs?
    I also have 2 knives. They are tools to cut with, and if used as a weapon they dont't run out, or fail.
    And LEOs carry them.
    Of course, depending on the lawyers, judge, and jury, this will probably mean nothing.
    I am minimizing court risk, not eliminating it.

Feel free to start telling me how wrong I am.

Top Bottom