• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    In terms of quality and accuracy is there a country origin that made the best sks? Which would hold a red dot at zero with no problem?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    In terms of quality and accuracy is there a country origin that made the best sks?

I think the Yugos are better built than the Russian or Chinese by virtue of their heavier receiver and barrel. OTOH, there's something to be said for the Russian SKS, given that they were the "original".

Which would hold a red dot at zero with no problem?

That's going to be more a function of the sight and mount than the gun.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I own a 1953 Russian Tula SKS that is very reliable and will shoot minute of beer can at 100 yards. My Dad has a Yugo SKS that is twice as accurate as my Russian SKS. The only advantage of the Russian over the Yugo is the chrome lined chamber and bore.

SKSnut

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    most(russian, chineese, albanian, and east german) have chrome lined barrels, which helps stop rust if you shoot corrosive ammo, but hurts accuracy. Yugos don't have chrome lined barrels and are slightly more accurate. Yugos are also the only one to have a grenade launcher attachment. . Some people swear by russian, or norinco(chineese) I doubt it makes any difference but im sure people will get on here and say theirs is better for certain reasons. Do some online research(google SKS) you will find TONS of great sites that explain the history and differences. I have a yugo and i love it. So does my dad and brother so perhaps im biased. I have never shot the others either. im sure there are alot of SKS nuts on here that know more than me. Take their advise , and do some research of your own. SKS's are great rifles, Milled out of solid steel instead of stamped, cheap to buy, cheap to shoot, and lots of fun. Good luck:rockwoot:

TheCapulet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Rural Fairmount
    The common SKS mounts really wont hold a reliable zero, no matter what you do. The only reliable way to mount a scope on the sks is to have a receiver scope mount, which unfortunately requires you to drill holes into your receiver, or a rear sight block mount, which are really only made by one manufacturer, and they're currently on back order.
    On Back Order Until 2/11/2010 - SKS Sight Base And Scope Rail With Black Anodized Finish : Scout Scopes

As far as accuracy goes, I'd like to say the Chicom rifles, but that's primarily because I have one. :P But common sense says that the stamped in barrels of the Chinese shouldnt preform all that well compared to the yugo. If I had a choice though, I'd pick early russian every time.

Spectre.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I've used a SKS from Yugoslavia and it was the model with the grenade launcher and folding bayonet. It was very accurate but you had to clean it carefully compared to the Russian SKS I used which was in a paratrooper configuration (The Russian model had that chrome lined barrel). Now both of these rifles are very reliable but I think the Russian's came ahead with reliability although the Yugoslavian SKS rifles feel more accurate (They're also heavy on the front with that grenade launcher if you choose that particular model). If I you're going to be doing close shooting, I'd pick the Russian model and you can always customize them (Put a synthetic stock, tactical rails, and stuff like that. You can do this with the Yugoslav models as well but I wouldn't because they're very beautiful rifles. The one grenadier model I used looks very fierce and intimidating with nice wooden furniture). Now if you're going to do shooting at longer range, I'd go with the Yugo SKS because it seemed to have higher accuracy. Hope this helped. Take Care.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have a Norinco and my son has a Russian. The Russian seems better built, but it's hard to say which is better. The SKS shoot on the 13th of March will be the first time we'll shoot them side by side.

Top Bottom