What's the best option out there for a lefty who wants an AR?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    So I got talking with a buddy over the weekend and he tells me he's been reading about what to expect over the next 6 months for guns, ammo, and magazine prices. Now, he's ready to take the plunge and want's to buy an AR. The only problem is that he's one of those left handed people and he'd much rather not have the brass flying in front of his face. When it came to lefty AR's I told him that he basically had two options. It's either going to be a stag or the new rock river. I told him that the rock would probably be the higher quality of the two and it's genuinely a left handed rifle.

My buddy is after the level of qualilty of a rifle that he could bet his life on. If the stag or RRA lefties aren't up to par, please make some recommendations. Just make sure it's 5.56 with AR mags. We need that much to be compatable. Is the scar able to be setup for a lefty?

Before anyone asks, no he's not ever going to take any professional training. It's just not going to happen as much as I try to convince him of its value and how much he'd benefit.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Yeah, he can mod a SCAR to fit his preferences. My personal opinion is that he, like me, learn how to use a right-handed version. I've never had an issue with brass. But if he's dead set, I'd go with a Stag, which is a quality rifle.

At the very least, he should learn how to use any weapon off handed.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    He's shot my ar-15 plenty of times and while I completely agree with you that he should just learn to love the right handed AR's I also have a hard time argueing with his logic. I've shot my rifles from a left handed position many times and it's not my favorite either.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    He's shot my ar-15 plenty of times and while I completely agree with you that he should just learn to love the right handed AR's I also have a hard time argueing with his logic. I've shot my rifles from a left handed position many times and it's not my favorite either.

If brass is that big a prolem, then I'd steer from the SCAR. Tho it's lefty friendly, the ejection port is still in the proper (as far as righties go) place.

vxtip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    West of somewhere
    I'm a lefty and have had no problems with getting hit by brass or it being a distraction so i'd really recommend getting a regular AR like everyone else. The brass should be ejecting well away from the shooter and not an issue.

Rock River and Stag are both known to be fairly good for the price, if he does get a lefty he should get a spare complete bolt carrier group and any other parts that are specifically for left-handed AR's in case anything breaks or becomes unavailable.

M4Carbine.net posted a chart which uses manufacturers information to compare what you're getting from each of the AR companies. It can give you an idea of what your getting for the price.
    From what i've read Stag uses parts made by CMT which produces parts for Colt and other AR manufacturers and is of high quality for a reasonable price.

here's the Thread which links to "The Chart"

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    Im a lefty and own a righty AR but shoot it left handed and have NEVER had a problem with it kicking brass in my face. AR's generally eject the brass forward so it isnt really an issue. Get a standard one and youll be fine

marshallartist

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I shoot long guns left handed and in almost 30 years I've never had a problem with AR15/M16 brass flying back in my face. Now I did get my eyes watering once when we were having a little full-auto fun with an old National Guard M16A1 back in the day but that was because of the hot gasses getting spit out in front of my face . I assume you're not getting a full auto so this shouldn't be a problem.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    It's not that the brass is hitting him or anything like that, it's just that with it flewing in front of him he finds it distracting. It's all greek to me because I'm a righty and shoot righty 99% of the time. For me it's no big deal, but if every round I fired was flying in front of me every time I can see how that'd be a little annoying. Next time I go to the range I'm really going to have to pound some rounds shooting lefty, apparently I'm out of practice.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    I have NEVER been distracted by flying brass.....AND I RELOAD! Sounds to me like an excuse...sorry to say but being in the same situation I have a different view on it. I look at it like if i can use any weapon then i have no excuse

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    As a lefty who tries to shoot from either side equally, there are a number of things I don't like about the AR, but brass distracting me is not one of them. However since it sounds like he is not all that serious about learning to run the platform or any other to its full extent,(not throwing stones, just going by your statement about training) he might as well go with one of the left handed versions. I don't do it because I don't want to get used to one, and then pick up a right handed one and have a brain fart. As a lefty, I much prefer my AK, but then that isn't what this thread is about.:D

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    If he doesn't care to shoot a different caliber then check into the AR five-seven upper. They ejector out the bottom though the mag well.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    As long as he has a brass deflector, he's just being a puss. I fire everything left by default, and feel a definite advantage with an RH bolt, for example, but an AR is no big deal unless it has no deflector. Just fire a few mags and get used to it. I'd rather be able to pick up something and just use it; how often are you going to find something left handed?

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Another lefty chiming in on the RH gun option. As a left handed shooter, I generally have problems with two types of rifles: bolt actions and bull pups where the rounds eject directly into my face (so basically almost all of them except the FS2000, PS90, and Keltec RFB). I've shot dozens of ARs, AKs, HKs, and few other odd assorted semi-autos and never had a problem handling them left handed, with the sole exception of the Suomi M31 (and that's because, just like bolt action rifle, the non-reciprocating charging handle is in a position such that it is almost impossible for a left handed person to work it without moving the rifle to the opposite hand and working it like a right handed person would).

In fact, I've found some controls that are set up for right handed shooters to be easier to manipulate left handed. The most common example are slide releases that are bit too far forward to be comfortable to hit with your right thumb, but are in easy reach for your left index finger (like on 1911s, imho).

In my opinion, laying out the extra cash for a left-handed AR is a complete waste of money. Now, if I was going to be going dangerous game hunting with a bolt action .375, that's a different story. Being able to work the bolt to make that follow-up shot would be critical. In the case of an AR, I honestly can't really think of anything that mirror imaging the gun would really gain you. You an get an ambi safety, mag release, and charging handle (though really, that's pretty ambidextrous already) all after market for not that much money. The only thing left is where the rounds eject and the slide release (and unless you have a really stiff slide release, you can hit that with your index finger).

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    On a bolt, I run the action with my right hand. Keep my sight picture better and my finger on the trigger. I can clear the mag faster than I can right handed. Mind you, I'm slightly right handed, just very left eye dominant, so I'm pretty flexible. I train both ways, but if there's a target, it goes to the left hand/shoulder.

Dick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    As a south paw with an AR, only problem i had was gas to the face during rapid firing, causing my eyes to water a bit

Top Bottom