• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    We have many members on the board from Ft Wayne. How do you like it up there? Schools, housing, cost of living etc.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    We have many members on the board from Ft Wayne. How do you like it up there? Schools, housing, cost of living etc.
    Schools are hit and miss. I personally would look on either the North Side or SouthWest side. Housing is affordable, depending on area. If you look at the counties around Allen, yo can find killer deals on farm houses and land. Cost of living here is cheap. Period.
    The downfall? Not much to do here when it isn't summer, besides eat out and bowl. Movie theaters are all over though.
    In the summer there are pretty good festivals and fairs all over the place. The down town area has festivals every weekend pretty much. There area few good ranges worth mentioning and one of the best gun shops is just a few miles South (21st). There are also other good shops in the area as well, Churubusco stands out in my mind as well as Laotto.
    Go much more North than DeKalb County you are getting into Meth territory and I wouldn't suggest buying there.
    HTH

ETA...A decent ZOO as well.

johnsmith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Actually, there is a lot to do here in FW in the Winter. We have an active theatre company, various musical groups including the Fort Wayne Philharmonic. There are many professional sports teams in town giving us year round entertainment in that area. A lot of great golf courses. There is always something to do here and it is a great place to raise a family.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Great place to live.

I lived there for fourteen years, raised our daughters there, and would still be there if not for my mothers health and the fact that my employer sold out and closed it's Ft. Wayne operations. I agree with all that RM said. We lived on the South West side of town (Waynedale) and it was a great place to raise a family in the 70's and 80's. Oldest daughter still lives there and is raising five of my Grandchildren in their home over on Fairfield Ave. near downtown. :)

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    There is a ton to do up here... Lots of public parks for the kids, a killer zoo. The restaurants are whats hit or miss. I like it up here, and although living in the city isn't my thing it beats Indy with a nasty stick..

dude42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Fort Wayne has most of what large cities or metro areas have, except minor league. Many sports with minor leagues, IPFW, St. Francis and Indiana Tech. The parks are fantastic and they have various things for adults and kids to do.

The Embassy Theatre has national acts, look up the Arena Dinner theatre if that is your thing. Lakes and boating within an hour drive. Chicago, Detroit, Indy, Cleveland and Cincy all a reasonable drive.

The cost of living and home prices can't be beat. The public schools are good, they take a beating FWCS, but they have to accept everyone since they can't be selective.

You can get from one side of the city to another within 20-30 minutes.

Last edited:

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Love the Fort! :rockwoot:

I have lived here a little over ten years now and plan to live here the rest of my life. I really enjoy it here. Sure no matter where you live for long enough you can find something to complain about, but I really enjoy living in Fort Wayne.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    The Allen County Public Library has one of the best genealogy sections in the US, outside of LDS' Salt Lake operation.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    All I can say is "Yep!" to all that has been written so far, Fenway.

I highly enjoy my time in Allen County. Several gun shops within short driving distance, several firing ranges (indoor and outdoor) in the county. Sheriff Fries is a friend to the 2A community.

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    There are also a lot of lakes, museums, camping, and other things within an hour's drive of town. Pokagon comes to mind, (winter tobogganing, summer camping) Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg Museum, outlet shopping, kayaking, etc.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Big fan of Fort Wayne!

I oughtta neg rep RM for saying there's nothing to do in the winter...... GO WATCH THE KOMETS! The hottest ticket in town! :)

I'll also add that we have nice get-togethers with Fort Wayne INGOers at the local Golden Corral now and then. We've had some events at Don Hall's Guesthouse, too. I think there was even one at a Logans once. All of these establishments have been pleased to host us. Many folks OC at the events, so they are fully aware that we're packing heat.

I went to private school, so I can't say much for the public schools, really, but there are a couple good Christian schools in town. I'd recommend Blackhawk Christian or Concordia Lutheran. Unfortunately, my private school has closed down, so I can't recommend it.

We have some great places to go ice skating during the winter, too. There are several lakes that freeze over (or, they used to, back in the days before global warming kept it in the 70s into November!). Plus there is McMillan Ice Arena, the outdoor rink at Headwaters park, and the brand new Canlan Ice Center.

We've got a good network of YMCAs for keeping in (getting back in to?) good shape. You get a membership through any of the Ys and you can go to any of the six Fort Wayne area ones.

I don't know a whole lot about cost of living stuff since I'm not out on my own yet, but I know that gas prices in Fort Wayne are about the same as in Terre Haute. Does that help?

And of course, Fort Wayne has been named an All-America City three times. Fort Wayne International Airport was also recognized as the country's friendliest airport a few years ago; I'm not sure if somebody else stole that title, but we're still pretty friendly. (OK, let's not get into the TSA stuff... the award was pre-groping.)

ggglobert9

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Ft Wayne
    Ft Wayne...great general area to raise a family. I did and I also was! Outlying areas have lots of opportunity and great housing prices/taxes vs Allen Co.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Moved to the Fort in 1952 when I was only a year old. Went to school here, K-Ph.D., though I did get my masters degrees from schools in Winona Lake, IN and Pasadena, CA. I have lived in Indonesia (13 years) and Jamaica (six years). Indonesia was jungle—walk twenty minutes in any direction and you are in the rainforest. Jamaica was the cesspool of any major megacity, just like New York, LA, Calutta, Bangkok, Manila, Indy. Raised three kids on the way; saw how the medical, government, education, etc. systems functioned outside the USA. No one does it as good as we do—even with all our foibles and corruptions.

Cost of living is low. Traffic is manageable. You can drive from one side of town to the other in forty minutes at peak travel times. People are snobbish; but when you are in trouble, just ask and they step up to help. There is plenty to do, if you want to do it. I avoid the downtown festivals because the primary focus is always the beer tent, and the downtown district is ugly and dangerous. Get out of the downtown area to the suburbs. Hockey games, parks, football games (high school and college), theater, movies, philharmonic, restaurants (classic, like the old Coney Island—the only reason to go downtown! and the chains—Applebys, Logans, Texas Roadhouse, etc). Most of the schools are pretty good. Some schools, the ones that must deal with the immigrants who are still learning English and the subculture that thinks study and academic achievement is betrayal of their people, struggle; others, in the suburbs, are excellent academic institutions.

Medical care is excellent. Great orthopedic surgeons, as I know from personal experience. Good cardiologists. You need it, you can get it here.

Politics is as sick as the rest of the country. Allen County is a Republican strong hold. We finally managed to put a limit on the assault on personal freedom when we voted Dr. John Crawford off the city council. County council is beginning to hear the demands to get out of our living rooms and bedrooms, but there is still a lot to do to restore our freedoms to Constitutional levels. Newspapers are strongly pro-liberal, even though the afternoon publication claims to be conservative. They will endorse tax-and-spend politicians of either party.

Crime is not to the levels of what I hear from Indy, but we have regular shootings in certain parts of the city. Mostly gang related, and drug related, and mostly of one particular ethnic group—at least that is what the local new outlets tell us. While the violence is generally localized (southeast side) I still CC everywhere I go, where its legal.

Great churches. A few megachurches are thriving. Many medium to small size churches are great sources of wisdom, friendship, and morality. A couple synagogues that welcome visitors and those who want to learn about Judaism. At least two mosques, neither of which I would be willing to visit (though I have visited mosques in Jamaica and Indonesia). A couple Buddhist temples, catering primarily to the Burmese community but open to visitors. Good folks. Large Amish community in east Allen County. Lots of buggies on the road; lots of Amish cooking and carpentry available. Interesting folks. They work hard; take care of business and remind me of how things were a hundred years ago. Lots of antiques, too.

Bottom line: No city is better than the Fort. Some may be as good, but none are better. We just need more good people who understand the Constitution and are willing to join the effort to improve the city. Since I can't go back to the Indonesian rainforest (can't get a long-term resident permit), I can think of no other place I would rather live or raise a family than the Fort.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    There area few good ranges worth mentioning
    Then MENTION them! :):
    A decent ZOO as well.
    It definitely seemed better than the Indy zoo every time we've been to either one...but truthfully, THE best zoo around: Toledo. Hands down.

including the Fort Wayne Philharmonic.
    Holiday Pops is coming!! Holiday Pops is coming!! *giddy*

The Allen County Public Library has one of the best genealogy sections in the US, outside of LDS' Salt Lake operation.
    YES. This ^.

in_betts

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    North of FW
    Although I am currently AWOL in Kansas, I agree with most of what has been said here. I lived IN the city of FW for 13 years and couldn't wait to get out; not because it is a bad place, I am just a country boy. Grew up in the country and could not wait to get back.

So from the perspective of those who prefer non-city dwelling, there are many options with good spots to live rural and still have a manageable commute if you work in the Fort. As RM said Dekalb county is a good one with areas around Garrett, Auburn, Waterloo, Butler, Corunna, Ashley/Hudson to name a few. South of the Fort has some nice spots too however it is flatter and not as pretty unless you are near a river.

As mentioned the NE Indiana politics still need work. FW and Dekalb County both have active 9-12 groups with folks who work hard to help the non-enlightened make better choices at the ballot box.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I was born and raised in F.W. but when it came time to find a job... Had to move to Indy. They don't have near the Tech Jobs up there.

Top Bottom