• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I've seen it in shows/movies on tv, I've heard various stories from coworkers that were completely different but I've never really known anyone close to me that has went thru it.

I want to know what it's really like in all branches of the military.

Last edited:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Well when I went through Navy Boot Camp in 1974 it was no walk in the park! They never hit us but they did everything else! The worst was when the guys would be screaming in your face about an inch away from your nose and they had dragon breath!!! We worked all morning getting the barracks and our racks ready for inspection and then went to chow. When we came back to the barracks we were met with several screaming instructors and the barracks was just destroyed!!! Uniforms were everywhere, racks turned over, underwear (skivies) hanging from the ceiling fans. It was a mess and we had to get it all put back together before inspection. But by the end of boot camp we were tough. I gained 10 lbs and was pretty healthy. My company won more ribbons than any other and we were the Honor Company out of all that were graduating. My company commander was an old Chief and told us stories about his time as a PBR Commander in Viet Nam. Several of us volunteered for river boat duty after that but I ended up on a Carrier. I actually wish I'd stayed in the Navy, but I was young, dumb and full of.... ;)

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Sorry, that's the closest emoticon graphic thingy that would finish your sentence there.

I don't think Fenway would approve an emoticon that would finish your sentence.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Sorry, that's the closest emoticon graphic thingy that would finish your sentence there.

I don't think Fenway would approve an emoticon that would finish your sentence.

Well, it's an old saying and I think most ppl get it w/o a visual aid. But I'm sure that some may still need remedial help. :rolleyes:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    The experience can vary greatly within the same branch. They typical basic training in the Army is 8 weeks. For some MOS's they have what they call OSUT. One Station Unit Training. I was 11M (Mechanized Infantry). We had a 16 week OSUT. For regular basic, you have 8 weeks of hell. I had 16 weeks of it. After about 12 weeks, they lightened up just a tiny bit.

We were allowed nothing but water to drink for the first 5 weeks. After that, they finally let us have milk for breakfast. We were allowed nothing but a spoon to eat with. If you had a chunk of shoe leather for what they called steak, you just picked it up and gnawed on it. You couldn't cut it with a spoon. For the first several weeks, we had to sit at the table with our knees touching the bottom of it and our feet off the floor. The idea behind that was that we'd eat quicker and get out. The entire 16 weeks, we had 4 minutes to eat. They had to filter about 7-800 guys through 1 mess hall in an hour or so.

We had 53 guys in a 55 bunk open barracks the entire time. In the Infantry, it was all male. Our drill sergeants were all Infantry as well. Being there were no females around, the language was always real colorful. We counted 33 times in 1 minute that one of our drill sergeants used the F word. One of our drill sergeants said that we did an average of 500 pushups a day. That was on top of our normal pt.

How bad it sucks differs from person to person as well. If you learn the game and accept it early on, it makes it much easier on you.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    I enjoyed it. I was 19 at the time. People who did not enjoy it were guys who missed home and couldnt get there head in the game.

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    The experience can vary greatly within the same branch. They typical basic training in the Army is 8 weeks. For some MOS's they have what they call OSUT. One Station Unit Training. I was 11M (Mechanized Infantry). We had a 16 week OSUT. For regular basic, you have 8 weeks of hell. I had 16 weeks of it. After about 12 weeks, they lightened up just a tiny bit.

We were allowed nothing but water to drink for the first 5 weeks. After that, they finally let us have milk for breakfast. We were allowed nothing but a spoon to eat with. If you had a chunk of shoe leather for what they called steak, you just picked it up and gnawed on it. You couldn't cut it with a spoon. For the first several weeks, we had to sit at the table with our knees touching the bottom of it and our feet off the floor. The idea behind that was that we'd eat quicker and get out. The entire 16 weeks, we had 4 minutes to eat. They had to filter about 7-800 guys through 1 mess hall in an hour or so.

We had 53 guys in a 55 bunk open barracks the entire time. In the Infantry, it was all male. Our drill sergeants were all Infantry as well. Being there were no females around, the language was always real colorful. We counted 33 times in 1 minute that one of our drill sergeants used the F word. One of our drill sergeants said that we did an average of 500 pushups a day. That was on top of our normal pt.

How bad it sucks differs from person to person as well. If you learn the game and accept it early on, it makes it much easier on you.

Thats just how I remember it. I was 11B so I didn't have the M school though.

We had a guy get caught eating ice cream in the DFAC one time. He was made to eat the entire cooler of ice cream then was smoked until he puked it all up. Brass and ammo checks were always fun. Thats when they got their hits in. Being yelled at while being poked in the forehead by a round brown. Being the last one in line at the DFAC sucked too. "FIRST PLATOON, WARLORDS. LAST MAN!!" "TWO MINUTES!!"

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Half-right face... front leaning rest position, MOVE! :drill:

Hmm, what's this? Are we going to do some yoga or something? :n00b:

Not exactly. :):

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    It was a great experience overall. I had much more strenuous and un-pleasant training to come later :n00b: oh wait we arent supposed to say that :D

anymore I hear basic is like prom. ahhhhhhhh, standards :rolleyes: pretty soon Army Basic will be just as easy as the Air force :D

Citronman1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    McCordsville, IN
    I was in Navy Basic Training from November-February (1999-2000). Nothing like being stationed in the Great Lakes region during winter.
    I was a professional snow shoveler.

I figured I wanted to go through winter because you can always get warmer (with blankets and more clothes) as opposed to summer and sweating your... Well sweating a lot and never able to get cool. Boot camp was 8 weeks long.

It was no cake walk, but it wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be. If you played football in high school, it's about a step or two above that. The big difference is in football you only had 2-4 hour practices a day, and in boot camp you could never leave.

We had to do 10,000 pushups (just a little bit of exaggerating) a day but it built character, or so they told us. There were numerous times where you would have to read the Blue Jacket Manual (Navy's Bible) while in push-up position.

My RDC's (Recruit Division Commander) were two Chief's (E-7) and one Petty Officer First Class (E-6). The two Chief's were just as you would imagine Chief's being (yelling screaming all the time and always swearing they were going to rip your head off and do whatever to you).

The PO1 was pretty much an old hippy. He would bring his acoustic guitar in on the weekends and play it while making us do push-ups. It was odd, but funny at the same time. He seemed to always play Space Oddity by David Bowie (Ground Control To Major Tom) while doing this. Still do this day when I hear that song being played on the radio my arms start hurting.

All in all it was an interesting experience. Would I ever want to go back to Basic Training? NO WAY! Do I wish I was still in? Without a doubt yes! Although the disability pay is not bad, I'd rather have good health than good money.

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Navy, 1983, Orlando....
    It was about 1/3rd physical training, 1/3rd classes and 1/3rd mind games.
    They try to weed out the guys that can't follow instructions.
    No firearms training at all, that came when I got to the ship.

My company commander carried a boom box everywhere, to this day, If I hear "Burning down the house" by the talking heads, I want to do push ups.

The best thing to do is get your job classification in writing before you sign up.
    Do not go in unclassified.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    The best thing to do is get your job classification in writing before you sign up.
    Do not go in unclassified.

im glad they didnt put some of my MOS in writting. it would have said:

Drunk, slut, fool, who likes to battle MP's :):

The best advice I give to new recruits is: DONT volunteer for ANYTHING!! no matter how fun it sounds. Private, you know how to drive a stick? oh yeah sure drill sgt. ok private, heres your shovel (stick), go dig me a Ranger grave. DONT FALL FOR IT :)

and 2nd: dont beat off. you WILL be punished, lol

oh, 3rd. DONT EVER, EVER, EVER, sneak food!!!! dont do it!!! and if you see someone doing it, you better go slap the s*** out of them before they get caught. YOU WILL PAY!!!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom