• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    I've been hunting for quite a while now. Bird, Duck , Goose, Squirrel, Deer, etc.. All except turkey... But what do you recommend as the next big game to go after from deer. I am wanting to plan a hunting trip with my brother but don't want to dive in over our heads. Whats a good step up from deer?

Carabou?
    Black Bear?
    ???

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Id rather use my bow than anything else but in a couple of these that may be ruled out.
    Boar
    Elk
    Mule Deer
    Pronghorn

Id put bear on here but i dont like the way they are hunted. Right over a food plot is not hunting unless you really really need the meat.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    ray...a drop of golden sun. (Finally, I can contribute something to this site. Hope that helps, I hate it when I get a show tune stuck in my head like that and can't remember what comes next.)

Last edited:

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    Wild hogs in the south, or Mule Deer west of here. Maybe a black bear hunt in Michigan or Wisconsin.

You going to do it yourself or use a hunting outfit?

hountzmj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    SE Indiana
    I'd say wild hogs. I haven't done it but I hear they are a blast to hunt and a challenge too.

Maybe an Elk also. That's certainly on my list.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Hogs will be here in such great numbers there will be no challenge or fun in about 3-5 yrs. I hunted them (actually disposed of during deer season) as a kid in Texas.

Go out west, north west and do elk, bison, big horn, bear.

But only after you take a trophy buck with a bow.

Shooting an animal at 400 yards won't compare to spearing one from 20!

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I've been hunting for quite a while now. Bird, Duck , Goose, Squirrel, Deer, etc.. All except turkey... But what do you recommend as the next big game to go after from deer. I am wanting to plan a hunting trip with my brother but don't want to dive in over our heads. Whats a good step up from deer?

Carabou?
    Black Bear?
    ???

Grizzly

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    skip the big game and check out prairie dogging!!!! tons of rounds and harder to hit than you think. It will increase your accuracy with every other type of game.

erik7941

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Noblesville
    Elk, Mule deer, out west would be a good step up. I don't know the name of it, but there's a game preserve in southern Illinois that has wild boar and dall sheep you can hunt.

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    Redneck made a good point. The thrill is in the hunt, so bow and muzzleloders for one shot kills. There are reasonable places and guides for mule deer, pronghorn and elk in northwest Colorado and probably some of the easier tags to get. I have done 3 trips ranging from $1,000 to $1,500.

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    Stimp, how are you hunting these deer? If your looking for more of a challenge, try a traditional style ML or archery if you havent already. You said you havent been turkey hunting yet, right? Here is your Mr Obvious answer. Turkey hunting!!!

Tin Cup

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    Michiana
    I can't believe someone has not said aliens yet. Who wouldn't want a little green space man on their wall. haha
    Serious note; I always thought it would be fun to blast a bunch of prairie dogs.

Stimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    Yes I bow hunt already. And I know turkey is on the list but just looking towards the future. And there isn't a big turkey population where I'm located.

Stimp, how are you hunting these deer? If your looking for more of a challenge, try a traditional style ML or archery if you havent already. You said you havent been turkey hunting yet, right? Here is your Mr Obvious answer. Turkey hunting!!!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom