• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WoG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Plainfield
    Thinking about getting my boy his first knife. Anyone have any ideas on a great starter knife? I was thinking about a small pocketknife - thought someone here might be able to point me in the right direction.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I would go swiss army. I know they don't have the best blades, but the multi-tool idea is nice and the blade won't hold the sharpest edge well, which is a plus for a virgin knifer, IMO.

swiss-army-knife.jpg

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    boys first knife?

I would go with a simple victorinox model and maybe get him a beginner folder from CRKT later when you think he is ready for it. I got my first knife when I was 8, it was a schrade 2 inch folder and it is my most prized to this day.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Carried a Schrade "Uncle Henry" for more years than I care to remember. Loved it. Then about 5 years ago I stumbled across a Leatherman PST 2 at a garage sale. Bought it for a song and have carried it ever since. Doesn't have the history or pocket knife feel, but I use it 10 times a week. Good basic blade and just the right gadgets. However, I still hear my Uncle Henry wimpering in the dresser drawer every so often.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Thinking about getting my boy his first knife. Anyone have any ideas on a great starter knife? I was thinking about a small pocketknife - thought someone here might be able to point me in the right direction.

Boy Scout folding knife

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I agree with the SAK. I still remembering getting my first one when I was a kid. I still have it!!!

I have a Leatherman Micra which I like to carry too. It's small enough to carry in a small pocket and still has some cool items on it including a pair of scissors and a knife.

My :twocents:...

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

How old is he?

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Any knife with the word "Boy Scout" attached is automatically $10 more expensive...

ROTFL, worried about ten bucks extra on a boy scout pocket knife for a kid?

Have you read the rest of the ridiculous suggestions in this thread for a child's first knife?

Not sure if these are the best prices you can find if a guy really searched the internet but they don't look too bad. Really not bad considering it's the second link I got on a google search key words "buy boy scout knife".

Camillus Knives: Boy Scout Knives, Official Knives of the Boy Scouts of America

I've still got mine, something like this.

CM-BSA046-small.jpg

I can't think of any brand new one I'd trade it for right now.

May be he could put a SOG SEAL Team Tactical Sponge Bob sticker on it. Would that be worth an extra $10?

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    A Victorinox SAK soldier, farmer, or pioneer.

Those models have aluminum scales which won't break or chip like the plastic and the blade and other tools are thicker and more durable than the standard SAKs.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    ROTFL, worried about ten bucks extra on a boy scout pocket knife for a kid?

Have you read the rest of the ridiculous suggestions in this thread for a child's first knife?

Not sure if these are the best prices you can find if a guy really searched the internet but they don't look too bad. Really not bad considering it's the second link I got on a google search key words "buy boy scout knife".

Camillus Knives: Boy Scout Knives, Official Knives of the Boy Scouts of America

I've still got mine, something like this.

CM-BSA046-small.jpg

I can't think of any brand new one I'd trade it for right now.

May be he could put a SOG SEAL Team Tactical Sponge Bob sticker on it. Would that be worth an extra $10?

Ditto This...

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    Or treat it like a new gun purchase........give him the price range and take him shopping. Let him pick out what he wants......with dad's pre-purchase approval of course. If he doesn't like the knife you pick out for him, he might not carry it which is just as good as owning a gun that you leave in the safe all the time.

Top Bottom