What would you want to see in a disaster prep store?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    Sitting at work in la-la land and came up with a fun exercise in thought: hypothetically if someone opened a survival/disaster prep store in your area, what products would get you to make the trip? There are a ton of things you can buy online but what's something you'd rather get to see hands-on before you picked it up for your prep stash? :dunno:

Ideas would be things like: would you rather see more homesteading based stuff (seeds, books, garden tools, grain mills), prepper gadgets and solar gizmos, or a build-a-bug-out-bag section? BOV oriented car sales/supplies? Certain brands?

What about what would get you to turn-tail and leave as soon as you walked in the door?

I know I can't be the only person who sits around and comes up with business ideas to pass the time! Whatcha think, INGO?

:ingo:

spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    I've thought about opening a shop like such. A buddy of mine and I are developing a gunsmithing business and intend to expand product lines beyond the range of firearms equipment. Maybe we can delve into a bit more. I have already set up the LLC with the state, just need to get a storefront that we can afford (rent) before the rest sets into motion.

Archer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indianapolis
    1. Packs/bags
    2. Water purification methods
    3. Ropes/cordage
    4. Knives/tools
    5. Fire starting options
    6. Water collection solutions
    7. Solar power solutions
    8. Radio equipment
    9. Bulk ammo
    10. Knowledgeable/experienced staff
    11. Classes on proper installation/use and maintenance on 6-8.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Something like the Army navy Surplus store at Arlington and 21 but with realistic prices , kinda like a "Dollar Store" of prepping .

More decently priced stuff (maybe not name brand but works anyway) than the fancy "big name" stuff .

As an example , the magnesium fire starter blocks . I can buy them from Harbor Freight in Southern Plaza for $3 bucks a pop .

At the A&N store they wanted something like $10-12 bucks . At another eastside prepper store they wanted something like $8-10 bucks .

Some folks will tell you that it's an inferior product But I figure that since my cousin's 14 year old can start fires with them , they work good enough to get the job done .

Ditto on Cathy's books / classes idea .

West side location or at least central Indy .

What would make me "turn tail and leave" ?

Not much but like one store I went to if I see a small bottle of Dawn priced at $3 bucks , I won't be back .

Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    All really good answers. I would definitely like to see stuff that can't be bought anywhere at other brick + mortar stores. 5.11/Maxpedition bags for survival/BOB use for example. If I want a cheap bag I can get it at Wal-Mart, I'd at least like to have the option of quality stuff. ESEE knives or similar, bushcraft quality stuff. Again, if I want a Gerber, SOG, etc. I can get it at Wal-Mart for cheaper.

ClydeB

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    Southern Hoosier
    my son behind the counter...(he really needs to get a job!)

I was actually thinking of me behind the counter. And be the owner too. Sigh...

Regarding product selection? Something along these lines of what Bill and Jan Sterrett are doing.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2wkQv_Fr1k
    This is a preparedness store down in North Carolina I go to at least once a year. Normally do it when they have a preparedness / heritage conference locally. Make a 3 or 4 day weekend of it.

HOOSIERHOBBIT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    A top of the line first aid section. One that has all you'd need for any level kit.
    Where you can pick items buffet style :-)

Khazik

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Didn't read all the posts (I'm lazy), I'd love to see a "buld your own bug-out-bag" section with packs from both military & civilian based build styles to include water storage, among the host of other useful things stated in the other posts here; and for the love of god, non-gmo dehydrated bulk food for storage. I dont want hormone, glyphosphate, steroid based & penicillin laced transgenic dehydrated chicken & rice.

Lonewolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Northwest Indiana
    I would like to see a police supply store (place that sells 5.11 and other high quality gear) an outdoor store like Cabelas that sells guns, outdoor camping, fishing, knives, as well as a electronics store all in one. You could get radios, GPS, guns, ammo, backpacks, medical gear and much, much more. I think the most important thing would be to hire people who know what they are talking about, but avoid the nut jobs who believe every word Alex Jones says.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Hey OP I tried to PM you, your box is full..

To me it is whatever people are wanting to buy, the things that work, the things that they need or feel they need anyway and mostly things that are just about as cheap as the things you can buy yourself on line and have sent to your house descreatly where no one says "Hey ol TJ is at the crazy prepper store again" when they see my truck backed up to the door loading up supplies.. It makes it easier to mark yourself as a target if things do go bad in a hurry.. Just my opinion..

TJ

Top Bottom