• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    the vast majority of metal fusing in firearms is actually brazed or soldered. bolt handles, sights, barrels to receivers. every double barrel shotgun and rifle is soldered or brazed. welding changes the metal to much. solder and brazing doesnt change the metal. some repairs are tig.

This is a good point, it might depend on the specific type of firearm. For 1911's for example some operations are done with silver solder but things like repairing mistakes, slide/frame rails, magwells are almost always done by TIG now. A good precision TIG welder is an awesome asset if you do gunsmithing.

witdog2020

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Muncie
    If your hungry to learn TIG welding is not that hard. I learned a couple years ago. My dad is a retired welder and my buddy is a union welding instructor. Both gave me advice. I own a Lincoln Squarewave 255 TIG welder and TIG weld aluminum the most. I love my welder. Oh and TIG welding is used the most in welding guns. Netman

Tig Welding in most cases will be the only method used on a firearm. It is not hard really, I have used several. The biggest issue is the tungsten used, and the 100% argon gas. Mig Welding uses 80/20. If I used a mig or a stick, I would have so much spatter, I would be grinding an a barrel (or whatever) and ruin a very nice finish that I had just turned on the lathe. The tig is capable of welds as small as 1/32nd of an inch and better with some welders. A multi-process machine would be better yet set up like a CNC machine (for mass production) There is no slag, or spatter unless you get contamination in the weld, even then caught soon enough can be cleaned to keep going. Stainless and Carbon steels are welded with a Neg Torch and Pos, ground for understanding purposes and DC electricity. Stick welding is positive, with Negative grounding. AC electricty is used for Aluminum to maintain a continuous Arc.

I used a Maxstar 150 for around here at the house, Tig/Stick. These can be purchased from Ebay used for around $400. The tanks are high though. The Idea is to start a small puddle of molten steel, my preferred method is to push the puddle. I don't use a foot pedal here at home, I use a foot pedal at work. After using a Tig a stick is not needed and the Tig is so much cleaner. A stick has its place of course. A mig or stick would be good if I wanted to use a grinder afterward to clean it up. Not with a firearm.
    Hope this helps

witdog2020

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Muncie
    Right on the money..... but the type of repair and the material will ultimately decide the method to use .... thats why i stated reciever re weld for a possible ARC candidate for three main reasons (lets not forget he's wanting to learn to weld not a well schooled welder just yet)

1) low cost machine
    2) easy to use
    3) strong welds

and im not attacking TIG at all its a great method if you can afford the set up
    Those us that own welders and weld... know we are not going to spend top dollar for a welder that will use maybe once or twice
    and what you spend on one will decide just what it can weld (no such thing as one welder that can do everything) try to find a Mig welder that can weld 1/2 mild steel for less that $1,400 you might be able to find a ARC that can do that for less than $75 see my point?

if we can get the same results with out buying new equipment we may rarely use we tend to make do with what we have

They are high dollar if you need a water cooled machine. For short welds and repairs, you probably wont need a water cooled machine. You can buy used suitcase Tigs for $300-$600 on ebay. Some may have finger control for heat, or you can buy a foot pedal option. It isn't really necessary, and I learned to control my heat just by the dial on the front of one of these machines. I have the Maxstar 150 and can do anything but Aluminum with it. Small or large welds. For someone wanting to learn I would recommend one of these small machines. Lincoln also makes a small Invertec machine. Although ours have been sent back a few times for repair.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    im glad you touched on oxy acetylene (or gas welding for everyone else) this actually is strongest type of weld a person can make there is a reason small aircraft airframes are welded this way

My father first taught us to weld with a torch, long before he showed us how to use the stick machine.

A hunter we knew ran into a few sets of poorly treated sight base screws that would crack, so my brother and I used the method to weld bases on several of his rifles. As far as I know, they are still going strong.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I had a stainless steel 1911 frame TIG welded once by a very talented gunsmith. After he was through with it, I couldn't tell where he had done the repair work.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    (no such thing as one welder that can do everything) try to find a Mig welder that can weld 1/2 mild steel for less that $1,400 you might be able to find a ARC that can do that for less than $75 see my point?

if you spend $10,000 you can get a welder that does it all.

when you say ARC do you mean stick welding or "smaw" welding. every electric form of welding is arc welding.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    if you spend $10,000 you can get a welder that does it all.

NO for $10,000 you cant buy a welder that does it all.... The concept im trying to show is all welding regardless of type have there place even in the firearm world... in order to be a competent welder/ or even gun smith you need to understand when to use what method and why....if you want to know what most common in gun repair then learn your brazing and soldering.. And anyone that only accepts TIG or any other welding as the one and only acceptable weld tells me they are not someone i would want working on my firearms!

But without knowing extactly what where welding here this discussion is pointless (would you tig weld a front sight into a rifle i sure wouldn't) see my point

Learn as many methods as you possible can learn and the basics such as gas/soldering/ and brazing should be the first methods any one learns before moving on to any other form of welding

witdog2020

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Muncie
    NO for $10,000 you cant buy a welder that does it all.... The concept im trying to show is all welding regardless of type have there place even in the firearm world... in order to be a competent welder/ or even gun smith you need to understand when to use what method and why....if you want to know what most common in gun repair then learn your brazing and soldering.. And anyone that only accepts TIG or any other welding as the one and only acceptable weld tells me they are not someone i would want working on my firearms!

But without knowing extactly what where welding here this discussion is pointless (would you tig weld a front sight into a rifle i sure wouldn't) see my point

Learn as many methods as you possible can learn and the basics such as gas/soldering/ and brazing should be the first methods any one learns before moving on to any other form of welding

A prime example of this would be an old double SxS, OR single shot. On the doubles they used them to strengthen the barrels together and to attach the block that the forearms snaps or screws into.

If they use the brazing or gas welding these days it must be with a machine, because the consumer would not buy such a weld as in the old doubles. It would look like a gun made in China, and most people would steer away from such a site.

Ive been to welding school, Tig, Mig and Arc. Brazing was not covered in my class with an open flame. We actually used our Tig torches to control heat whether I used a filler rod or coat hanger.

I don't think there is much of the Brazing or silver solder nowadays. I could be wrong! It seems like most parts are actually bolted to the barrels and such today anyway.

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9dskxN10N0[/ame]

BACON WELDING!!!!!!! :rockwoot: (i know they are cutting in this video, but im sure you creative do it yerselfers could make it work)

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    Back years ago when I took a welding class the teacher told us that stick welding is the easiest.
    He showed us by starting a weld then laying the stinger down and letting the stick weld by itself it made a good weld. But when it came to TIG I could out weld him so he told me to teach the TIG part of the class. I think TIG is the most versatile because you can weld the thinnest metal or the thick heavy stuff with just a small change, the only draw back is it is not very fast. MIG is the fastest weld & if done right it is very strong.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    In my younger days, many years ago, I learned to gas weld and braze and was very good at it but it seemed that over many years of disuse I must have forgotten how to keep a quiet pool of molten metal without it popping. Wrong sized tip, too hot, rod to cool, I don't remember? :dunno: I haven't used it in decades but I use to enjoy it.

witdog2020

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Muncie
    In my younger days, many years ago, I learned to gas weld and braze and was very good at it but it seemed that over many years of disuse I must have forgotten how to keep a quiet pool of molten metal without it popping. Wrong sized tip, too hot, rod to cool, I don't remember? :dunno: I haven't used it in decades but I use to enjoy it.

Just like anything if you don't use it you lose it.

blackoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Gas welding is becoming a lost art it seems now days. I have seen my Dad do some pretty amazing things with a torch and a coat hanger. A skill I have never mastered yet.

Indiana Heathen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Gas welding is becoming a lost art it seems now days. I have seen my Dad do some pretty amazing things with a torch and a coat hanger. A skill I have never mastered yet.

Yes, Gas welding is becoming a lost art because most places are getting away from the old Oxy-acetylene set up & going to Oxy-propylene it cost a lot less and is safer to use. But it don't weld worth a da#m, it is good for cutting and heating, that is about it.

Top Bottom