• ...and so much more!
  • mrproc1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Indy
    Hey Ya'll......
    I've got a DPMS sweet 16" with a bull barrel. I'd like to change out the freeflaot with a 15" keymod. I'd only like to use a light on pressure switch, and a hand stop(if that's the correct term)
    The main question is, why is there such a price difference in some rails. I can find the them all day long on Amazon and eBay for something that looks half decent, for under $100. Then again can go to Troy and drop 2 bills easily.
    I understand you get what you pay for, but can someone please shine some light on what to look for, material type, barrel nut,etc....

Thanks

milton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Most of it has to do with how the rail mounts, quality of material, and weight. Typically with the cheaper rails, the mounting, weight, and machining are sacrificed for price.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    ^ That, and there's a lot of junk out there being imported from China that would be more suitable on a BB gun. You don't have to spend a ton, but try to stick with a name that has a proven track record for building a quality part. After all, it's not just a hand guard, it's also holding on the damn barrel. Not something that you want to cut corners on IMO.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    15" key mod without spending a ton? Hate saying it but the UTG pro rails aren't bad. They're supposedly made in Michigan. CMMG rails aren't bad either. I'd look for a Seekins Precision rail, they make great stuff and if you can find a used or on sale rail that would be my go to; although Midwest Industries has some really nice rails out right now

The sweet 16 is a heavy gun with that bull barrel. Really depends of you want a slim rail or of you want something closer in diameter to your factory tube.

When it comes to rails though, a lot of the time you get what you lay for so don't be afraid to spend $20-30 more To get something much nicer

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    15" key mod without spending a ton? Hate saying it but the UTG pro rails aren't bad. They're supposedly made in Michigan. CMMG rails aren't bad either. I'd look for a Seekins Precision rail, they make great stuff and if you can find a used or on sale rail that would be my go to; although Midwest Industries has some really nice rails out right now

The sweet 16 is a heavy gun with that bull barrel. Really depends of you want a slim rail or of you want something closer in diameter to your factory tube.

When it comes to rails though, a lot of the time you get what you lay for so don't be afraid to spend $20-30 more To get something much nicer
    I used to run a UTG quad rail on my Dept issued rifle. It was a 16 inch full auto colt. I shot thousands of rounds out of it and never had the rail move at all. This was using semi auto and full auto. I got a new 9mm SBR auto so I upgraded to a Daniel Defense omega free float. I gave the UTG to the guy that has my old rifle. He's still using it with thousands of rounds through it himself. Still hasn't moved.
    ive heard and read from several guys that UTG stuff is crap. It worked for me when it was all I could afford and still going strong for another guy.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Durability. Weight. Price....Pick 2.

CMMG is hard to beat, they are built like tanks and affordable but they are relatively heavy.
    https://www.cmmginc.com/shop/hand-guard-kit-ar15-rkm14/

Midwest industries would be my next choice. They will be a good compromise on all 3 aspects and come in under 200 bucks.
    Midwest Industries: Lightweight KeyMod Series One Piece Free Float Handguard

Bravo company KMR rail is very expensive but stoopit light weight and still durable.
    BCM KMR15 Free Float Handguard BLACK

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Saw this thread the other day and I guess I forgot to comment... I'll be another to suggest the UTG Pro. I was shocked at how nice it was for $130! They really are nice, I show it to everyone and say "Can you believe it's UTG!?"

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    Check out Midwest Industries. In the free floated key mod department MI are fairly inexpensive and lite. The only thing I do not like is the special barrel nut that you have to use.

I also have a Troy Alpha but I would not consider it inexpensive.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I'd suggest a Midwest Industries gen 3 keymod. I have a 15" Midwest Industries gen 3 m-lok and it's pretty solid, light, and didn't break the bank. Check Lanbosarmory.com for a decent price. I got mine for $141 not including shipping.

Top Bottom