• ...and so much more!
  • AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Chances are once it gets to a shop and they disassemble it and add the damage that the insurance company was not able to see it will total and you can move on. Take it to a shop would be my suggestion. if it doesn't then get it fixed and sell it if your wife will not be comfortable in it. :twocents:

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    It seems you really have two options - 1) Fix it with the insurance money and decide what to do with it after that 2) sell it to the body shop and let them attempt to flip it. They will make money on the repairs and could make more money on the opportunity to flip it.

If you decide to get it fixed (that's why we pay for insurance after all) you could choose to trade it in, sell it outright or drive it until you find something better for her.

Just looking at the pictures, I'd probably fix it and see how it drives after the repairs.

Glad she's Ok, sounds like there were ample airbags to protect her.

Mike

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I would take AllenM's advice......the guy knows his stuff on these types of claims. Let them total it then buy it back for $500, have it repaired and sell as salvage title. Make you enough money to buy a newer one.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    1-877-kars4kids that's cars with a K
    :dunno:
    We're a little old for them to give us a car.

...and I can't afford to donate it.

So she contacted her beer buddy, a NHTSA engineer, and inquired, "Is a car with replaced airbags still safe?"

"Yes."

And that was that. Repairs are to commence with the understanding that we may replace it if warranted.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    images

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    :dunno:
    We're a little old for them to give us a car.

...and I can't afford to donate it.

So she contacted her beer buddy, a NHTSA engineer, and inquired, "Is a car with replaced airbags still safe?"

"Yes."

And that was that. Repairs are to commence with the understanding that we may replace it if warranted.

There is a diagnostic check for the air bag system. A body shop/repair shop worth it's weight can and will check the system out thoroughly. I replaced a air bag in a van years ago for a friend. I took it to a friends shop that had the scan tool to reset and test it. If a reputable shop does the work you will have a safe car. NP.

Percolater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    I've had success with Copart Auto Salvage auction. They offer you instant cash if you have the title, or you can send it to auction and get highest bid minus their fees. I believe there's one up your way south of Ft Wayne. Maximize your insurance claim without totaling and then sell to Copart.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I stopped at the auto shop - they've torn in to it but haven't started repairs because of a squabble over parts.

:xmad:

I'm hoping the adjuster will come on Monday and total it - repairs are at 80% of the NADA value.

Top Bottom