• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    I'm working on getting a couple of Glock G22's. I would have had them today had I known the banks were going to close early and I couldn't get any money.

One of them "the pretty one" is going to be a range gun. The "rough" one is going to be a carry gun. It looks to have mostly holster wear. The bore looks good. I'm thinking about making this into a practical carry weapon. Not that Glocks are bad out of the box.

I think I want to ad a small mag well, and non adjustable fiber optics sites. This is mostly likely all I want to do to it. I don't believe in lighter triggers for carry guns. I don't want extended anything, cause I just need them. I pulled the slide to charge the pistol and I don't have a problem with the stock mag release. I don't want anything shiny on this either. I could careless what I looks like. I don't believe in lasers, but might consider a flash light if I can find a good hip holster to hold it all.

What are some other things I might do to this? I know I may seem set on what I want, but I'm always willing to try new things, so give me some ideas.

I will carry this in a hip holster. This will be a carry gun and that's it I do plan to practice with it. I don't believe in carrying a gun unless I've put several hundred rounds though it myself. I will have the other G22 for range work, along with a G17, G35, and a G20. I don't believe in a one gun does it all, so I also have a G30, G21 and a G31 for carry.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    All my carry guns get night sites, good holsters, regular maintenence and as much range time as I can get.

And thats about all a Glock needs out of the box.

Shoot it, clean it, carry it. No need to get to fancy. Just my :twocents:

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    +1 on a good holster and night sights.

A Glock and a cheap holster can be bad.

Make sure you get a holster with a re-enforced top for easy re-holstering, a cheap holster can get caught up in the trigger guard and be a potential hazard.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    G22 with and w/out TLR-1 light

My G22. Sometimes carried with light in Aker Nightguard holster.

Link:Aker International, Inc.

Usually carried without the light in a Blackhawk CQC Serpa holster. I have Glock factory night sights on all of our carry guns.

Miscshoot020.jpg

Miscshoot003.jpg

AkerNightGuard005-1.jpg

Evo3andSerpa027-1.jpg

http://www.akerleather.com/on-duty-holsters.php

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    My G22. Sometimes carried with light in Aker Nightguard holster.

Link:Aker International, Inc.

Usually carried without the light in a Blackhawk CQC Serpa holster. I have Glock factory night sights on all of our carry guns.

Miscshoot020.jpg

Miscshoot003.jpg

AkerNightGuard005-1.jpg

Evo3andSerpa027-1.jpg

I'm going to have to check into this Aker holster. I could use that with my G17 and g31 too.

Get a 9mm barrel and you will have 2 G17's

I don't think it's that easy. I've read where people have done it with just the barrel and it worked, but how reliable is that?

The 40 has a different breechface, ejector, extractor, clip and spring weight than the 9mm. IMO I would have to changed all that if I wanted it to work and be reliable. Even than I'm not sure if the diameter on the 9mm barrel is the same as the diameter on the 40 slide.

Now going to the 357sig is a lot easy, but I already have one of those too. If I was going to convert it into anything else, it would be the 22lr.

I would love to see a 45 acp conversion kit for the G17/22 frame. Glock should have made that instead of the GAP.

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    I'm working on getting a couple of Glock G22's. I would have had them today had I known the banks were going to close early and I couldn't get any money.

One of them "the pretty one" is going to be a range gun. The "rough" one is going to be a carry gun. It looks to have mostly holster wear. The bore looks good. I'm thinking about making this into a practical carry weapon. Not that Glocks are bad out of the box.

I think I want to ad a small mag well, and non adjustable fiber optics sites. This is mostly likely all I want to do to it. I don't believe in lighter triggers for carry guns. I don't want extended anything, cause I just need them. I pulled the slide to charge the pistol and I don't have a problem with the stock mag release. I don't want anything shiny on this either. I could careless what I looks like. I don't believe in lasers, but might consider a flash light if I can find a good hip holster to hold it all.

What are some other things I might do to this? I know I may seem set on what I want, but I'm always willing to try new things, so give me some ideas.

I will carry this in a hip holster. This will be a carry gun and that's it I do plan to practice with it. I don't believe in carrying a gun unless I've put several hundred rounds though it myself. I will have the other G22 for range work, along with a G17, G35, and a G20. I don't believe in a one gun does it all, so I also have a G30, G21 and a G31 for carry.

:twocents: If you are using one as a range gun and one as a carry gun, whatever you do to one I recommend doing to the other as well. All the controls, ergos, sites, etc. should be the same between the guns. This is so that if you ever have to use your carry gun for defense, the muscle-memory you developed using your range gun will apply to your carry gun.

+1 on nite-sites. If you like fiber-optics, try looking at the Tru-glo Brite Sites. They are both tritium night-sites and fiber-optics. They are incredibly bright during the day and are pretty much standard night-site bright at night. I have them on my G23 and will be putting them on my G19 and G26. I got mine from Botach.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    Muscle-memory is why I only use Glocks. Right now the only difference between the two will be the mag well and it's going to be a small mag well at that.
    I may mag well the other guns I carry. I'll have to see how it works out on this gun first. I have a large mag well on my G35 and love it.
    IMO going the same sites on all my carry guns and making sure they have the same point of aim would be a good idea. It maybe something I consider doing later.

peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw
    The most important thing to start with when CCW is the foundation. A good quality leather belt makes all the difference in CCW. One place I can really recommend is

Custom Gun Belts, Custom Leather Belts from A & G Custom Gun Leather

Nice person to work with, and I can contest to the extreme quality and durability of these belts. A good foundation will take away a lot of sagging, and help with comfort.

Now about the glocks. I have had my glock 22 for around 2 years. I added night sights, and an extended slide release and extended take down pins. Helps with faster follow up reloads, and take down on the move.

My glock as moved to night stand gun since my 1911 has taken of CCW duty, but I would never feel uncomfortable or under powered using my glock

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    I pick the gun up today. I'm pretty happy with it's condition. Does show some holster wear, but not bad. The bore looks good and it already has a front night site that's still very bright. I'm not sure if I can find just the back night site. I hope I can. SN says it was may in early 06.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I put night sights, extended slide release, and a metal recoil spring tube on my 23. I know you said, no extended anything, but it makes releasing the slide much smoother.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Chop it!
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/116822-how_to_chop_your_glock.html#post1418754

I always suggest that :)
    I honestly love my G22 chopped. I again will mention night sights and a good holster. Since you have a bunch of Glocks, I suggest you keep an eye out for the new VG2 from Raven.

On the conversion option, You would need a conversion bbl (has the bigger OD to fill the slide) and 9mm mags. Most people report positive results with only those changes. If you have problems you can swap out the recoil spring, extractor, and ejector depending on the problems you have.

I have a G22 and G35 and am hoping to get a G24 by the end of the year. Eventually I plan to have 2 G23s (one with a chopped frame) and a G27 and 9mm conversion bbls for all of them :D

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Muscle-memory is why I only use Glocks. Right now the only difference between the two will be the mag well and it's going to be a small mag well at that.
    I may mag well the other guns I carry. I'll have to see how it works out on this gun first. I have a large mag well on my G35 and love it.
    IMO going the same sites on all my carry guns and making sure they have the same point of aim would be a good idea. It maybe something I consider doing later.

Unless you're building a "race gun", I'm not sure why you would want to put a mag well on your G22. I've never had any trouble making fast magazine changes on stock Glocks; all it takes is practice practice practice.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    Unless you're building a "race gun", I'm not sure why you would want to put a mag well on your G22. I've never had any trouble making fast magazine changes on stock Glocks; all it takes is practice practice practice.

I believe in taking every advantage I can. I have a large well on my 35 and it makes reloading much easier. I do believe in practicing a lot, but should the time come that I have to use a firearm, I'm kidding myself if I think I can perform that same as I practiced. So anything that helps to be more fool proof is plus for me.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    Here's a picture of my two G22's. The one with the long barrel and extended clip is the one I'm going to mod for carry.
    I had and extra G35 barrel, so I decided to put it on there to do some first time shots with it. You can really see the holster wear. The stock barrel shot very well and accurate as did the G35 barrel.

IMAG0412.jpg

peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw
    My glock doesn't seem to really let the mag drop all to easy. I have factory glock magazines. Any advice with it?

It will drop them, but not rocket them out like my 1911 does

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Buy another magazine each month until you have the desired amount you think you want. I recommend buying a G17 threaded barrel, that way you have another caliber covered (also get G17 mags...) and if you get it threaded, you now also have a future addiction covered. :D

I recommend Henry Holsters made in Bloomington, IN. I would recommend some sort of glowing (active) night sight for carry guns. Meprolights recently installed on my G22 and I'm digging them so far.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    My glock doesn't seem to really let the mag drop all to easy. I have factory glock magazines. Any advice with it?

It will drop them, but not rocket them out like my 1911 does

Are they the all metal mags? My mags with the 5 pack extensions drop pretty easy.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    Buy another magazine each month until you have the desired amount you think you want. I recommend buying a G17 threaded barrel, that way you have another caliber covered (also get G17 mags...) and if you get it threaded, you now also have a future addiction covered. :D

I recommend Henry Holsters made in Bloomington, IN. I would recommend some sort of glowing (active) night sight for carry guns. Meprolights recently installed on my G22 and I'm digging them so far.

I already have a G17, plus a G20, G21, G31, G35 and a G30. My next Glocks will be a G34 and G23. I may get a 357sig barrel for the G23 or a complete G32.

And like JT says you can just drop a G17 barrel in a G22. I know people do do it, but how reliable is it.

Top Bottom