• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    The most popular places that I get ideas for posts/articles are from the various forums and the occasional magazine. One of the most common topics I see is those about –

1) What do I do when I cannot carry my gun?
    2) What do I do when I cannot carry a knife?
    3) What do I do when I cannot carry A-B-C?

It all comes down to mindset. For our purposes it means simply this, a promise to yourself that regardless of environment, odds, or lack of tools you will go over, through, or around anyone that attempts to bring violence upon you or anyone that you are entrusted to protect. Be decisive when doing it.

I believe that the reason most people ask these questions is because they do not have, or are not comfortable with their open hand skills. For that reason, you must view everything in the world as an edged or impact weapon. If you can pick it up and hit somebody with it and it cuts them, then it is an edged weapon. If it does not cut them, it is an impact weapon. As I sit here at my desk, there are about a dozen things within arm’s reach that were not designed as weapons; however I would not want to be hit in the head with any of them. I think the worst would be the fork from my breakfast jammed into my face or eye socket.

Make a game out of this. When you are lying in bed, taking a shower, or walking into an unfamiliar place, identify improvised weapons and how you would use them based on their size and composition. Don’t ignore the obvious like the pen in your pocket or the cup of piping hot coffee in your hand. When I was still on the job, I seldom felt more protected than when I would respond to a call with a cup of hot coffee in my hand.

Seldom do attacks take place in the middle of a field. In our society, we are usually close to vertical surfaces such as walls and vehicles. Even if we are in a field, we always have the ground. Nothing stops violent action faster than Central Nervous System disruption. Every time someone walks by you look where they are in relation to the closest vertical surface. Are they farther away from the wall than they are tall? If that is the case, palm their face and drive them backward. Which part of their body will hit the surface first? Or maybe it is better to lower your shoulder to drive them into the side of a vehicle.

Even more than training, this requires mindset and decisiveness. When you are “unarmed” you need to have better situational awareness than when you are armed. But when you view every person you meet as a possible threat and subconsciously have a plan to damage them, you are always ahead of the game.

These are tools that live in your head and cannot be taken away by law, TSA, or prohibited by your employer. These are the tools that save lives.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Good post and thoughts. To paraphrase someone smart, "Be polite. Be professional. Be courteous. Don't be a DICK. Have a smile for everyone... and a plan to kill them."

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Well said!
    I am NEVER unarmed, like you said it's a mindset.
    Even inside a plane the TSA still let you bring many things that can be used as deadly weapons.
    Im not going to list them over the internet for obvious reasons, but from the things you already find in the plane to the things you can bring inside the plane with you, you can already make a very long list.
    I also believe that some people are always unarmed, even if they carry a handgun, like mercop said it's all about mindset.
    If you dont have the proper mindset, or training, to fight back an attacker with your gun then you are unarmed and may as well leave it at home.

Indy Wing Chun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    NE Side of Indy
    I think this is GREAT!

I also believe you need this mindset even if you are armed. I was always taught that since most attacks are going to happen suddenly and in very close range, you will not, in all probablility, be able to transition to your weapon right away. You will have to use some open hand skills (or improvised weapons) to create a safe(r) moment to transition. This is what I train for why I put a heavy emphasis on my open hand and transition skills.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I think this is GREAT!

I also believe you need this mindset even if you are armed. I was always taught that since most attacks are going to happen suddenly and in very close range, you will not, in all probablility, be able to transition to your weapon right away. You will have to use some open hand skills (or improvised weapons) to create a safe(r) moment to transition. This is what I train for why I put a heavy emphasis on my open hand and transition skills.

I agree, in many cases even if you carry a hangun, your hand skills will still be your best defense and will buy you time to get to your gun, knife or whatever weapon you have on you.
    Those skills will also prevent your gun from being taken away from you.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    I taught my trainees to have a smile on their face and homicide in their heart.- George

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    A good one I heard a while back was from Michael Moore, yea that Michael Moore. He said that since 9-11 he carries a baseball and sock in his carry-on bag when traveling. Hasn't been stopped by TSA yet. That would definitely leave a mark if it wacked you upside the head.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    I would be more worried about that fat bastard taking a bite out of me. A perfect world would be him and Bill Maher going over a cliff in a car.- George

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    A good one I heard a while back was from Michael Moore, yea that Michael Moore. He said that since 9-11 he carries a baseball and sock in his carry-on bag when traveling. Hasn't been stopped by TSA yet. That would definitely leave a mark if it wacked you upside the head.

IMHO... that will come in handy if a pickup baseball game breaks out, but otherwise pretty useless. Yeah, I know, the movies lead you to believe otherwise, but try it against a live, fighting opponent sometime.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Now a padlock and you can have some fun, just don't leave too much length in the sock- George

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Now a padlock and you can have some fun, just don't leave too much length in the sock- George

Agreed, definitely better. But if he has it in his carry-on, it will still be in the bag when they find it in the dumpster after finding his body in the bathroom. Not a chance in hell he'll get it out and into the fight against any attacker who isn't severely mentally challenged.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    :):

Too bad I cant rep you twice.

I got him for ya.

Even before I opened this thread, I said to myself "I'm never unarmed" and began looking at my desk for improvised weapons.

Immediately visible
    a set of nail clippers with file
    2 ink pens and 1 mechanical pencil
    the ubiquitous coffee mug

In the drawer
    several more pens/pencils including a nice sharpie
    2 box cutters (wouldn't go on a plane, but I'm not on a plane)
    a powercord from my old computer speakers with a nice, heavy transformer brick. let me whack you with the plug end of that thing once or twice.

Also of note, about 15ft away is a fire extinguisher, and on most every desk around me there are multiple cords and cable type things.

Top Bottom