What to do when stopped for carrying a long gun...?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Ok, I pretty much know what I need to provide and/or do when stopped for a "man with a gun" call when carrying a handgun. Basically give your LTCH when asked, and that's all that's needed.

Let's say I got a hair up my ass and decided to go on a walk and slung a long gun or shotgun across my back, and was then subsequently stopped by the police. Would I need to provide any information to the officer? I know I am not required to provide ID, but if asked for a LTCH and not carrying a pistol, would I still need to provide it? You don't need any permits, licenses, special permission slips to carry a long gun or shotgun, but would this be a case where I would need to show ID?

:dunno:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    IF you decide to do this, you NEED to identify yourself. Since you are NOT driving, you DO NOT need to provide your DL.

Give Name, DOB, and address. They can look up what they need from that.

Same goes for a handgun, except you can skip IDing yourself and just show them the pink slip.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    IF you decide to do this, you NEED to identify yourself. Since you are NOT driving, you DO NOT need to provide your DL.

Same goes for a handgun, except you can skip IDing yourself and just show them the pink slip.
    Ok, that's what I thought, but wasn't sure.

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012

You are only required to identify in Indiana when you are suspected of committing a crime. The officer must be able to articulate his suspicion and it must be reasonable to a prudent person.

Carrying a long gun is not illegal in Indiana. You are not required to identify yourself. With that said, you will most likely end up in handcuffs if you refuse to identify.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    You are only required to identify in Indiana when you are suspected of committing a crime. The officer must be able to articulate his suspicion and it must be reasonable to a prudent person.
    Incorrect. It is illegal to be in possession of a firearm if you are a felon, thus you are required to ID yourself.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County

Bzzzt! Wrong!

If you are doing nothing more than walking down the street and have a long gun on your back, you are not required to ID yourself. You are not committing a crime, and you are not committing an ordinance violation or infraction.

You don't have to carry ID, nor do you have to tell the LEO anything. Keep your mouth shut aside from "Am I being detained? Am I free to go?"

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Incorrect. It is illegal to be in possession of a firearm if you are a felon, thus you are required to ID yourself.

Only if the officer has reasonable articuable suspicion that you are a convicted felon. We can go round and round about this if you would like.

Indy60

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Central IN
    This brings up an interesting question. When a police officer runs your plate before he comes up to your window to talk to you. Does the fact that the registered owner of the plate or car come up in the database as a LTCH holder? And if it does will the LEO handle the interaction differently such as breaking the ice with "is there a handgun in the car, keep your hands on the steering wheel, etc." Just asking, curious.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Bzzzt! Wrong!

If you are doing nothing more than walking down the street and have a long gun on your back, you are not required to ID yourself. You are not committing a crime, and you are not committing an ordinance violation or infraction.

You don't have to carry ID, nor do you have to tell the LEO anything. Keep your mouth shut aside from "Am I being detained? Am I free to go?"

Might want to cite some IC for this. You HAVE to ID yourself.

Showing an LTCH is where firearms questioning ends regarding handguns. Since it is not required for a long gun, you need to provide either an LTCH or ID yourself to get them from actually cuffing you and taking you in for refusal to ID.

IC 34-28-5-3.5
    Refusal to identify self
    Sec. 3.5. A person who knowingly or intentionally refuses to provide either the person's:
    (1) name, address, and date of birth; or
    (2) driver's license, if in the person's possession;
    to a law enforcement officer who has stopped the person for an infraction or ordinance violation commits a Class C misdemeanor.

By not IDing, you COULD be a felon with an illegal item in your possession. If you are not, why chance a misdemeanor?

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    IC 34-28-5-3.5
    Refusal to identify self
    Sec. 3.5. A person who knowingly or intentionally refuses to provide either the person's:
    to a law enforcement officer who has stopped the person for an infraction or ordinance violation commits a Class C misdemeanor.
    What infraction or ordinance violation is being committed by my carrying a long gun or shotgun?

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    True, but you are citing no IC. So there's no point to your argument.

It will be too much of a hassle to cite code from my phone. Someone will eventually but the fact is, carrying a long gun is not illegal, he isn't required to identify. Carrying a handgun is illegal which is why you must present LTCH when asked.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Might want to cite some IC for this. You HAVE to ID yourself.

Showing an LTCH is where firearms questioning ends regarding handguns. Since it is not required for a long gun, you need to provide either an LTCH or ID yourself to get them from actually cuffing you and taking you in for refusal to ID.

IC 34-28-5-3.5
    Refusal to identify self

By not IDing, you COULD be a felon with an illegal item in your possession. If you are not, why chance a misdemeanor?
    What is the infraction stated in the IC for carrying a long gun?

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    IC 34-28-5-3.5
    Refusal to identify self

Double T, what is the infraction or ordinance violation that makes your quoted IC applicable?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom