• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Base522

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    i'm pretty much a newbie to the gun world but feel like with the changes in the world today that it's probably a good idea to be able to protect myself and my family.

My first purchase has been the LCP since I don't think I wold be comfortable (yet) caring something bigger. Plus i figure having something is better than nothing.

I know that I want to get a 9mm to shoot at the range once I pick a place to shoot (west side of Indy). May get a Sig 226 since i owned one in the past and really liked it.

Also have been thinking about what would be good to keep at home and possibly something that i could just leave in my pick up. If one could do double duty then that would be great.

Thoughts?

Base522

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    What do you recommend for rifle and shot guns? Haven't looked intobthat at all yet. Can you explain I should consider them? I'm open to the thought.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    i'm pretty much a newbie to the gun world but feel like with the changes in the world today that it's probably a good idea to be able to protect myself and my family.

My first purchase has been the LCP since I don't think I wold be comfortable (yet) caring something bigger. Plus i figure having something is better than nothing.

I know that I want to get a 9mm to shoot at the range once I pick a place to shoot (west side of Indy). May get a Sig 226 since i owned one in the past and really liked it.

Also have been thinking about what would be good to keep at home and possibly something that i could just leave in my pick up. If one could do double duty then that would be great.

Thoughts?
    Clint Smith, one of the old pros, says a handgun should be comforting, not comfortable. I try to split the difference myself. I prefer, as much as possible anyway, to carry a larger pistol with at least one spare magazine. If you invest in a nice holster and a nice belt, then carrying the larger gun is not as big a deal.;)

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Shotguns are great home defense guns as they are difficult to miss with and the shot won't go through your walls into the neighbors house.

If you are worried about the state of the world then you probably recognize the benefit of having a rifle for all it's many uses. There are several threads dedicated to which handgun/rifle is best and why.

Finally, to answer your initial question, get one of each. Then start getting more. Once you have more start getting additional...

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Shotguns are great home defense guns as they are difficult to miss with and the shot won't go through your walls into the neighbors house.

If you are worried about the state of the world then you probably recognize the benefit of having a rifle for all it's many uses. There are several threads dedicated to which handgun/rifle is best and why.

Finally, to answer your initial question, get one of each. Then start getting more. Once you have more start getting additional...
    Additional...AMMO. lol. :):

Base522

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Clint Smith, one of the old pros, says a handgun should be comforting, not comfortable. I try to split the difference myself. I prefer, as much as possible anyway, to carry a larger pistol with at least one spare magazine. If you invest in a nice holster and a nice belt, then carrying the larger gun is not as big a deal.;)

Good quote. I'm sure i'll be upsizing as soon as i get more comfortable with carrying in general. I realize that the LCP isn't necessarily the ideal gun for CC in terms of stopping power.

Thanks for all the input. I guess i just need to keep doing some research to figure out what else to buy for my different situations.

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    Once you get a handgun (which you have) and a shotgun, and a rifle, I suggest getting something you love to shoot, a .22 maybe, but whatever it is shoot it, A LOT. I have a few guns I dont shoot very often because I just dont really like them all that well. Mosins for instance...I find them uncomfortable, I cant hit with em, and the recoil can be brutal. But a marlin lever action 30-30...I can shoot all day and grin after every shot.

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    Steel targets to practice on! Saves paper and makes an awesome sound when hit. Not to mention you cant kill a bobcat steel target! Then I would get myself a shot gun for HD and/or hunting, a rifle,or a Sig! The LCP is a great defensive pocket gun or BUG but I would also get a fullsize or compact 9mm or above for EDC also.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    What they said....also as for where to shoot on the West side, Marion County Fish and Game. We have our monthly board meeting this Tuesday evening. There is a membership meeting thread on here, or check the club website: indyrange.com

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Get some early training.

Also, meet up with some INGO folks at the range who will likely let you try out some different equipment.

From there, you'll certainly make more informed purchase decisions while getting a lot more bang for your ammo bucks out of your practice time.

:twocents:

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis

Thoughts?
    If you want to have some fun at a cheap price...MOSIN NAGANT 91/30! NUFF SAID!

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Home defense, a shotgun is great, but I'll disagree with ViperJock, they are easy to miss with at home defense range, and depending on ammo selection, you can shoot through walls. For instance, at 20 yards, my Remington 870 w/ turkey choke shot 00 buck in a chest sized pattern. I still have to try the same loads w/ a less restrictive choke, but you def. need to practice with any weapon you choose for self-defense.

So, I'll second the buy more ammo, and training. Don't buy another gun until your comfortable with the gun you have.

As for a double duty gun, a Glock 19 is a good semi-compact gun. Get a 3rd or 4th gen, and you can mount a light or laser on it. If that's to pricey, there are a number of other guns out there that will fit the bill.

FCSD 23-18

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    You can not beat the Glock 17, another good choice would be a Ruger SP101 if you dont mind wheel guns.

gblank

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Southern Indiana

MORE!! MORE!! MORE!!

SteveKoz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    I was looking for a gun to replace my pocket Keltec .32. Came across the Ruger LC9. It's a single stack 9mm so it's pretty thin, pretty small but still throws the 9mm. It has the option for a pinky extension on the mag so its comfortable too. Fun gun to shoot too. For home defense it's a mixed bag. Some say shotgun and other say pistol.. In close quarters it's hard to swing around a full sized shotgun. Once she's pointing in the right direction your good but if someone surprises you or you get grabbed then the shotgun isn't so good. I have a 12ga Mossburg pump with high based 6's. 00 will go through too many walls but I'm leaning towards adding a pistol in a table safe/lock box.

Oh.. you can never get just one gun.. No one gun fits all needs. Get the wife involved too. My wife really likes her Browning Buckmark .22 and it's really cheap to shoot; She will pickup the .45's or 9's too. We just purchased a Browning Safe to safely store the toys. It's amazing how addictive this sport can be.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom