• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    So, I've been working on my handgun accuracy. Grew up with guns, great rifle shot in the Army, relatively new to handguns.

I've gotten my groups down to about 2.5 inches at ten yards on the good moments of my good days, which is to say that usually I'm around 3 or 4 inches. I haven't yet gotten any instruction other than reading, but I plan to. My groups at 25 yards are terrible 18 inches or so. I shoot at 25 yards to take stock of my technique.

Anyway, I mounted a laser on my .22 for practice purposes, and it appears my problem is the steadiness of my hold. The laser dances around in an area roughly the size of my groups. Any suggestions.

maxcoen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    North Side
    The laser dances around in an area roughly the size of my groups. Any suggestions.

I am exactly the same I am having my first laser experience as well. I was starting to get a complex with my shakiness. But it has been getting better every time. I think the laser has been a valuable self learning tool it has helped me focus on where I need work and explains possibly past accuracy issues for me.

One funny thing is l think I am steadier when its not on. Maybe just a mental thing.:dunno:

Old Salt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Avon
    If you are right handed, in a two hand stance, pull back with your left hand, while pushing foreword with your right. Apply about the same pressure with both hands. This will go a long way toward steadying your grip. Using this I received a perfect score when qualifying for the pistol, while in the Navy. Good Luck.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Harsh, my brother. Most likely true, but harsh. Repped.

Thanks but I'm laughing at myself.:): I tried a friend's laser while jacked up on coffee and Dew once (although this is my normal state.) Discouraged and rattled, I handed it back.
    I still have no idea how I shoot better than it looks like I can hold but you can't fool them photons.:D

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    i find the laser a fair training aid. i use it sometimes to illustrate that while shooting on move good hits are still possible. and the laser dances all over the target.
    there is no way to totally eliminate wobble. the idea is to work to minimize it, make it consistent and break your shot at the same point in the wobble arc each time. bullseye shooter should be able to explain this a bit better than i.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Anyway, I mounted a laser on my .22 for practice purposes, and it appears my problem is the steadiness of my hold. The laser dances around in an area roughly the size of my groups. Any suggestions.

Without seeing you shoot, such movement is not likely to be your most significant problem. As obijohn said, movement is going to happen. It can be accommodated.

The far more likely issues are consistent trigger control and follow through. This is why so much of the laser advertising (like the Crimson Trace commercials) is so misleading. No, you won't always hit your target just because you can see a red dot there. If your trigger control and follow through are not adequate for the shot, you're going to miss regardless of the sighting system you use.

On a positive note, I saw the guy who is the lead for Crimson Trace's taining division speaking on one of the shooting shows, and he made a point of this. That begs the question why they continue to advertise the way they do and can still sleep at night.

Now, is a laser a viable defensive tool? Yes. Can it be a great training tool? Absolutely.

What you want to look for is how the laser moves when you press the trigger. Does it jerk in some direction suddenly, or does it just continue on the same smooth wobble as when you are not pressing the trigger?

You can make good hits even if you're shaking like Michael J. Fox on a pogo stick . . . as long as you have good trigger control and follow through.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I found them great training aids as well in helping learn control. I got them on a couple of guns. They will sure make you honest with yourself.

Top Bottom