What the Best Knife for Deer field dressing?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tredwing

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    I was curious what is others think is the best deer field dressing knife, for multiple deer before needing to be sharpened?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I made a 4" drop point 20+ yrs ago, and it's done almost every one of my deer and many of my buds. I've done a max of 3 before resharpening.

Screw that. I take my sharpener with me nowadays.

captpaul

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Indy
    I use this knife. Has everything I need for field dressing : cheap, fixed blade with sheath, and bright orange rubber handle for grip and finding in the dark.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I bought a cheap kit ($25) at Rural King in 2010 and it has worked very well. Has a harshell case and sharpener. You dont need a $100 knife to field dress a deer!

Here is what the kit looks like and a place to nab it. Ruko 11 Pc. Deluxe Fish & Game Processing Set - Mills Fleet Farm
    5-10 strokes and its sharpened. I dressed out 2 deer before I even touched the sharpener. Sharpens right up!

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I used the same Buck folder for years and years. I sharpen it every year though. Part of the prep work.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Personally, i have a nice and pricey Puma knife with a gut hook but i now use the 15$ Remington Insignia drop point that you can pick up at rural king or walmart. IMO the gut hooks get in the way of of field dressing the deer once your "inside the deer and getting everything out". You can also usuallly buy a 5 pack of used knifes from a turkey processing plant for about 5$. they'll need resharpening, but work great!

vwarren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    greenfield
    I like to rip the rib cage on any thing I don't want to mount for easy acces then I always break the pelvic bone so I prefer a bigger knife all I use for most of the butcher/skinning process is a fillet knife

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've used one like this for over 20 years. I get it shaving sharp without much effort, and use it for both dressing and skinning. I'll touch it up with a strop after every deer, and with the Lansky stones after every couple. I like sharp knives!:D It is a handy 3.5" blade, and the guthook is nice too.
    Schrade-158OT-rw-10782-121.jpg

tredwing

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    See, I used to be a meat cutter in high school, which was many moons ago. But since my family knows that, I seem to be gutting all the deer. They love to tell me how great a job I do! lol An I dont mind it too much, just hate it when my knife needs sharping before finishing the 3rd deer of opening morning! Hence why I was wondering what knives really hold there edge the longest.

Thanks for all the responses!

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    See, I used to be a meat cutter in high school, which was many moons ago. But since my family knows that, I seem to be gutting all the deer. They love to tell me how great a job I do! lol An I dont mind it too much, just hate it when my knife needs sharping before finishing the 3rd deer of opening morning! Hence why I was wondering what knives really hold there edge the longest.

Thanks for all the responses!

You gut everybody else's deer?! You are a nicer guy than I. Butchering is one thing, but field dressing belongs to the one who killed it.

Hair and bone dull knives, there is no way around it. Maybe find a quick sharpening system. A steel, stone, or better yet a leather strop are all quick. The strop will work wonders if you don't want to actually re work the edge.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    144   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I have been using a Wyoming Knife and Wyoming Saw since I started deer hunting 10 years ago and have been very happy with them. I open everything up with the knife and use the saw for the sternum and pelvis. After @ 25 deer I have used 3 blades for the knife and am still using the original bone blade on the saw. I have also seen a guy use a box knife with a shingle blade pretty effectively as well.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    If you want a good tool that you will want to use all year spend some money and get a good knife. My Busse's will still shave after field dressing, chopping wood, and they're rust resistant enough that you don't have to worry about blood being on them.

You most likely spend a good bit on the a nice gun that you use a few times a year, get a good knife that you can use daily.

SAR4LE5.jpg

busse-combat-sar4-le.jpg

Top Bottom