What should Romney/Republicans do about gay marriage?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    With all the rage being the discussion surrounding gay marriage, I came across two articles in the past couple days that I found to be interesting. Ignoring the right or wrong aspect, lets focus on the political aspect of the topic.

First up, is Romney's flip-flop. While running for governor, Romney fully supported gay marriage, promising to "be better for gays than Ted Kennedy." Of course, we also have the flyer, which is obviously being denied. He also received the endorsement of the Log Cabin Republicans.

Mitt Romney Almost Marched In The 2002 Boston Gay Pride Parade / Queerty

There isn't much Romney can do at this point with regards to his position. He has already came out against and obviously can't do a double flip-flop. But, that brings us to our second story.

Bush pollster, and respected Republican insider for the past 20+ years, Jan van Lohuizen release this memo in 2004. To put it bluntly, the Republicans are marginalizing themselves to younger voters and risk losing a generation.

Top GOP Pollster to GOP: Reverse On Gay Issues - The Dish | By Andrew Sullivan - The Daily Beast

This memo comes on the heals of one of the most vocal supporters of the NC amendment stating that it will be overturned within 20 years because of generational differences.

Should the Republicans open the tent and adopt gay marriage and erase the prospect of alienating future voters?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    They should butt out of the marriage business. Gay or straight.

Agreed, but here's the problem:

Our government can't just butt out of defining marriage since they've tied so many other laws and regulations to that status.

It would be a monumental overhaul that neither of the current establishment parties would even remotely consider.

:twocents:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County

Our government can't just butt out of defining marriage since they've tied so many other laws and regulations to that status.

It would be a monumental overhaul that neither of the current establishment parties would even remotely consider.

Precisely. They aren't going to go down the separation of marriage and state route in anyone's lifetime. So, what should they do going forward with the reality that .gov is not getting out of the interference business?

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009

Exactly, "nib out" isn't an option. A position has to be taken.

Some interesting commentary from Fox New's Shep Smith the other day. Are Republicans on the wrong side of history?

Shep Smith, call your office - POLITICO.com

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Precisely. They aren't going to go down the separation of marriage and state route in anyone's lifetime. So, what should they do going forward with the reality that .gov is not getting out of the interference business?

IMO, the .gov should treat it as nothing more than any other contractual agreement for legal status purposes.

Regardless of my (or anyone's) views on the sanctity, morality, or purposes of marriage, the .gov is no position to regulate beyond their own contractual status requirements.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    IMO, the .gov should treat it as nothing more than any other contractual agreement for legal status purposes.

Regardless of my (or anyone's) views on the sanctity, morality, or purposes of marriage, the .gov is no position to regulate beyond their own contractual status requirements.
    I don't have any issue with that and agree. But, we know that's not what they'll ever do about it, (at any level). Government is too invested in the matter and they will not give up their power.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    they should do nothing, just as with the "war on women" this is just a distraction from jobs and the economy. I figure guns or immigration will be the next topic.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Given all of the above, it is a tough situation. Of course the religious right is a major GOP constituency that is going to be iffy this time around due to the Mormon issue. But where are they going to go. They don't want Obama back in with his past support of partial birth abortion and even infanticide. I also think with Obama coming out so strongly on gay marriage, that. He could lose some of the famous Reagan Democrats. The church going Catholics were already getting uncomfortable with the recent challenges to their principles by Obamacare on their teachings on abortion and contraception.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    This is such a simple matter, but the stubborn radicals on both sides are ruining the happy medium, and obviously best, outcome.

Gays should be able to have civil unions, in which the ceremony and all legal rights are equal in every way to marriage. Just don't call it "marriage".

People don't want their kids growing up thinking that marriage involves choosing a man or woman. Just call it something else damn it. If the most important thing is rights, then who cares what you call it? Civil unions would've been approved and lasting in every state.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    If gays want to marry they can always marry someone of the opposite sex.

Get rid of marriage penalties and all other such crap.

If my brother and myself want to live together we should be given the same rights as a married couple, a gay couple, or a cat and a dog.

Is it really that difficult? Well, obviously it is.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Why can't the GOP get the eff outta my business and go back to being the party of small government and low taxes?
    When was that? The last gop candidate I can think of who actually spoke about small government and was consistent was Goldwater. Reagan talked a good game, but the reality was much different.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    They should butt out of the marriage business. Gay or straight.

BINGO!!!

I never cease to be amazed at those that scream for a smaller central government operating within the confines established by the States in the Constitution, yet advocate for expanding the reach of the state instead of putting it back in its cage.

Top Bottom