What should I know about Browning Hi Power 9mm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I have a pair of Hi-Powers. Both are 75th Anniversary Models. One has fixed sights, the other adjustable. Both exhibit excellent craftsmanship and quality. With that said both have really crappy triggers. Hard pull with a lot of gritty creep. I've heard this is the norm for a lot of Browning Hi-Powers. The guns both function flawlessly, and are very accurate. They are very comfortable to shoot, and I've never experienced any "bite" shooting them.

It's been said Browning put everything into this gun he wished he had put into the 1911. The gun has very nice features like a takedown notch in the slide to engage the safety. This allows effortless slide stop removal and reinstallation, by allowing the slide stop to line up perfectly with the barrel link. I think anyone who has any type of collection needs at least one Browning Hi-Power pistol to have it complete.

Remove mag safety. You won't be disappointed.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Two tone pistols have their place!

DSC_0046_zpsa5521407.jpg

Ok...that Hi-Power has a drool factor of 10. That is so sweet. I am going to have to get a real BHP someday! But I can't complain about my clones.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I have two high power and they both shoot very well, my wife called it the 'angry gun' because of the muzzle flash really shoot out. But mine came with those ugly high adjustable rear sight. Over the years, I have got used to it and have no problem hitting anything at 25 yards,

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    West of Louisville
    I've had nothing but good luck with HP's. their a great handgun. I have a few from basic stock 1970's to full blown Novaks Custom. The stock trigger is not that great, but can be fixed. They've never made me bleed, and they have all been very accurate. Great guns.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Since we're posting pics and all...

ubtj.jpg

y541.jpg

Where did you get those Browning logo grips? I will probably change grips, after I get to shoot it! Haven't had it out yet, work, weather and other commitments have foiled those plans so far! I would probably like something slim for my small hands. I know I still haven't taken any pics!

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Those grips came on it. I'm thinking they're kind of rare because I've only ever seen one other set of grips like these, and that was online on another HiPower.

Spegel grips are nice and thin if that's what you're looking for. A good second choice is Hogue. VZ makes a good grip too.

Last edited:

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    When did they make them with stainless frames? What is good price and availability of those?

Those stainless framed ones look really nice, got thing for stainless frames with natural wood grips!

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    When did they make them with stainless frames? What is good price and availability of those?

Those stainless framed ones look really nice, got thing for stainless frames with natural wood grips!

They arent stainless. Mine are 1) hard chromed, or 2) cerakoted, depending on which one you're looking at.

The silver chrome models are kind of hard to come by, as nobody wants to sell theirs, so you'd probably be looking at a grand or maybe a little more. The Standard or Mark III will probably run around $700 to $800, unless you find a deal. There are usually a bunch of older ones available on gunboker for a lot less - search for high power, not HiPower though. They're often Israeli surplus.

Last edited:

Mike Grasso

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 5, 2014
    Westfield
    As JBombelli stated, the finish on Browning "Tactical" Models were Hardchrome, there was an all hardchrome and a bit rarer two tone. Both of these pistols are well sought after.

DSC_0045_zpsf0e5c962.jpg

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    I don't mind paying for something if I'm not getting cheated or over paying, it's worth X and it can be sold for X in a reasonable amount of time, then it's OK.

Don't think a collectible is what is in order due to the fact there is a lot variations out there and I'm late to the dance.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    Where did you get those Browning logo grips? I will probably change grips, after I get to shoot it! Haven't had it out yet, work, weather and other commitments have foiled those plans so far! I would probably like something slim for my small hands. I know I still haven't taken any pics!

I have average sized hands and usually prefer thinner grips, but the Hogue grips on my Hi Power are very comfortable and surprisingly thin for a pistol with a double stack mag. I'd even go as far as to say they rival the grips on my CZ.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013

Had a good time at the range Sunday! Felt good and I was able to be fairly accurate, considering how new it is to me. :)

Awesome!! With some practice, I think you will find that it is one of the most accurate handguns you own. As recommended earlier, Mec-Gar are probably the best mags for your pistol. I prefer the 13 round mags. Mid-way usually has them for $22. If the mag safety is still in it, get rid of it. The improved trigger will help your accuracy. Enjoy!

Top Bottom