What should I know about Browning Hi Power 9mm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Cindy, the magazines are not good, the original Mil Spec was 13 capacity, civilian 12. Also the original safety catch, impossible to use! Most operators carried them chamber empty, racked the slide to use.

EL Al had them as their Ground Security Officers, used black tip hard ball ammo, made in Israel. Back in 2002? Changed to Glock 9mm pistols. Glock pistol magazines, best in the world.

I know you are not looking at a Glock, but a Glock 19 would serve you in good stead.

You would need extensive modifications to make your pistol perfect. That pistol was born, same year I was 1935.

$700.00? Mine was bought for twenty pounds! Long story.

Mecgar makes their magazines. They are top notch. They make 10 round mags, 13 round mags,15 round mags, and occasionally you can find 20 rounders. They all work flawlessly. The original design safety was changed long ago to a much better ambidextrous safety. They eliminated the humped feed ramp too, which eliminated the problems with hollow points.

You apparently haven't kept up with the times. Unlike FN. The HiPower has evolved since 1935.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Cindy, the magazines are not good, the original Mil Spec was 13 capacity, civilian 12. Also the original safety catch, impossible to use! Most operators carried them chamber empty, racked the slide to use.

EL Al had them as their Ground Security Officers, used black tip hard ball ammo, made in Israel. Back in 2002? Changed to Glock 9mm pistols. Glock pistol magazines, best in the world.

I know you are not looking at a Glock, but a Glock 19 would serve you in good stead.

You would need extensive modifications to make your pistol perfect. That pistol was born, same year I was 1935.

$700.00? Mine was bought for twenty pounds! Long story.

Hmmm...I'm not much of a Glock fan. Nothing against them, and to be fair, I haven't shot many of them. Owned a G26 for awhile.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Mecgar makes their magazines. They are top notch. They make 10 round mags, 13 round mags,15 round mags, and occasionally you can find 20 rounders. They all work flawlessly. The original design safety was changed long ago to a much better ambidextrous safety. They eliminated the humped feed ramp too, which eliminated the problems with hollow points.

You apparently haven't kept up with the times. Unlike FN. The HiPower has evolved since 1935.

If I get one, I will definitely be looking for those extended mags. :)

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Now I'm even more curious...I/we own some 1911s. 1 Kimber and 3 Sigs. I did not care for the 9mm 1911s we used to have.

The HiPower will have a grip that will feel slimmer then the 1911. I would say shorter length to the trigger. Of course thin grips and a short trigger in a 1911 will help this feeling. What type of 9mm 1911 did you have? I ask because comparing an EMP or ultralight 3" model to a HiPower would not be fair. Larger guns have less felt recoil and longer sight radius. Generally speaking easier to shoot well. My wife recently switched to a 9mm full size 1911 because of her arthritis. She can not pull the slide on a HiPower.

edit: the wife shot a couple IPSC matches with me many moons ago. She ran the HiPower and handled it very well. HiPower and 1911s agree with her.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    The HiPower will have a grip that will feel slimmer then the 1911. I would say shorter length to the trigger. Of course thin grips and a short trigger in a 1911 will help this feeling. What type of 9mm 1911 did you have? I ask because comparing an EMP or ultralight 3" model to a HiPower would not be fair. Larger guns have less felt recoil and longer sight radius. Generally speaking easier to shoot well. My wife recently switched to a 9mm full size 1911 because of her arthritis. She can not pull the slide on a HiPower.

edit: the wife shot a couple IPSC matches with me many moons ago. She ran the HiPower and handled it very well. HiPower and 1911s agree with her.

Springfield EMP and Kimber Pro Carry II. I just never really bonded with the EMP, and the Kimber had lots of malfunctions for us. We both decided we like 1911s in 45 ACP.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    My wife fell in love with a blue Kimber pro carry. My experience with Kimbers owned by others have been less then stellar. The EMP is sort of a micro 1911. The HiPower will have less recoil then either of those because it weighs more. A full size 1911 in 9mm will be even less recoil. Plus the 1911 has a 12 pound as opposed to 18 pound recoil spring so it is easier to rack. The beaver tail on the 1911 eliminates the hammer bite. The 1911 trigger is better.

When end you say you prefer 1911s in 45 it might not be the cartridge. You may just prefer full size 1911. Take a look at the S&W Pro Series. The external extractor works well for the 9mm.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    My wife fell in love with a blue Kimber pro carry. My experience with Kimbers owned by others have been less then stellar. The EMP is sort of a micro 1911. The HiPower will have less recoil then either of those because it weighs more. A full size 1911 in 9mm will be even less recoil. Plus the 1911 has a 12 pound as opposed to 18 pound recoil spring so it is easier to rack. The beaver tail on the 1911 eliminates the hammer bite. The 1911 trigger is better.

When end you say you prefer 1911s in 45 it might not be the cartridge. You may just prefer full size 1911. Take a look at the S&W Pro Series. The external extractor works well for the 9mm.

The recoil wasn't the problem, we have compact and full-size 45 ACP 1911s. I think I'd like my next 9mm to hold more rounds, too.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Ah yes the downfall of the 9mm 1911 is capacity or rather lack of. The other problem is that 10+1 does not seem to be the case. 9mm has a slight taper to the cartridge and by the time you load 10 rounds into a single stack mag the top one kind if nosedives into the feed ramp. Mags may have been the weak link with your Kimber.

If you like the feel of the HiPower grip you might also try a CZ or the FNS. I always felt the full size M&P with the small grip insert had a HiPowerish feel as well

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Ah yes the downfall of the 9mm 1911 is capacity or rather lack of. The other problem is that 10+1 does not seem to be the case. 9mm has a slight taper to the cartridge and by the time you load 10 rounds into a single stack mag the top one kind if nosedives into the feed ramp. Mags may have been the weak link with your Kimber.

If you like the feel of the HiPower grip you might also try a CZ or the FNS. I always felt the full size M&P with the small grip insert had a HiPowerish feel as well

I've looked at CZs, but haven't been able to handle many. I think the one I did handle was a .40, and it didn't fit quite as well as the HP. I do like the looks of them.

Mike Grasso

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 5, 2014
    Westfield
    I've owned and carried several over the years.
    If you like a SA Pistol and want high capacity it's a good choice.
    Caliber is mildly interesting, it's all about shot placement, your ability to strike the CNS under stress.

The HP can do better if you do a couple of mods as already discussed.

The most annoying part for me is the thumb safety, it's nowhere as positive as a 1911. Even if you work on it and I've been building 1911s for many years.

The best suggestion is to switch out to a no bite hammer.

b5e4dd68-a6bb-49eb-b617-99df041a9941_zpsde797f6a.jpg

Even small hands get bit from time to time.

There are many builder's out there that do great HP work, if you want one, you'll wait for it though.

BAEE7068-90EA-4B73-BF96-56A1439D3A62_zps250zwe8p.jpg

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    :( I have owned three different HiPowers over the years and all of them fed hollow points just fine. I carried them cocked and locked with 13+ 1. They were utterly reliable! One of them had a couple thousand rounds run through it and failed only once when I got too much CLP in the trigger that froze up in subzero weather. That gun was traded to another INGOer and is probably on his hip right now. The newer Mk3 guns were designed to feed hollowpoints and have firing pin safety. SOP in some countries armed services is empty chamber and early mags were often loaded to 12. This isn't 1935 and HiPowers built in the last 25 years do not meet the description you just gave.

^This

If you want to try a clone, I have my own range outback. Just have to make sure the wife is home. They are my favorite pistol. Take your pick. I don't think I'm too far from you. PM me if you are interested.
    1007132337_0001_zps5dae2a3e.jpg

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    I have a pair of Hi-Powers. Both are 75th Anniversary Models. One has fixed sights, the other adjustable. Both exhibit excellent craftsmanship and quality. With that said both have really crappy triggers. Hard pull with a lot of gritty creep. I've heard this is the norm for a lot of Browning Hi-Powers. The guns both function flawlessly, and are very accurate. They are very comfortable to shoot, and I've never experienced any "bite" shooting them.

It's been said Browning put everything into this gun he wished he had put into the 1911. The gun has very nice features like a takedown notch in the slide to engage the safety. This allows effortless slide stop removal and reinstallation, by allowing the slide stop to line up perfectly with the barrel link. I think anyone who has any type of collection needs at least one Browning Hi-Power pistol to have it complete.

Top Bottom