• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Hold on with the Parkerizing, just a thought and of course its yours to do what you want with, but................the early Colts were blue not parkerized, now some were arsenal refinished and parkerized for the war effort, but I believe yours should be blue like my 1915.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Hold on with the Parkerizing, just a thought and of course its yours to do what you want with, but................the early Colts were blue not parkerized, now some were arsenal refinished and parkerized for the war effort, but I believe yours should be blue like my 1915.

With the arsenal refinish marks, parkerizing would be the correct finish. While blued, stainless, Nickle plated, and many of the other finishes that have been put on the 1911, there is something about a good, smooth parkerized finish that speaks to the utilitarian roots of that pistols design.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I just got back from the range. I put about 25 rounds through this with no malfunctions. It shot reasonably well considering I just dropped the parts in and it has a 9.5 lb trigger pull. I saved a target it shot decent. I will adjust the trigger some when I get my correct hammer.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    I just got back from the range. I put about 25 rounds through this with no malfunctions. It shot reasonably well considering I just dropped the parts in and it has a 9.5 lb trigger pull. I saved a target it shot decent. I will adjust the trigger some when I get my correct hammer.

Oh and Yea I did use downloaded ammo

fun shootin' the old stuff isn't it!!!......did you get a cramp in your finger pullin' all that weight!!!:):........that 9.5lb trigger isn't to far off.......my Remington is a little over 8lb......glad it ran good for you....

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    your Colt frame is a 1917 and the slide is from WWII....it has went through the Rock Island Armory........it still has some of the parkerizing on it from the refub ........is it what be called and "mix master"......watch shooting modern loads in it and the frame rails where not heat treated.....i would reparkerize it no buffing and the roll marks would look better....

flaming bomb is an military inspectors mark...

The flaming bomb is actually Springfield Armory's approval mark. So it's a Colt 1911 that was rearsenaled by Springfield Armory.

+1 on the Parkerize! I love the look of those 1911s!

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    The flaming bomb is actually Springfield Armory's approval mark. So it's a Colt 1911 that was rearsenaled by Springfield Armory.

+1 on the Parkerize! I love the look of those 1911s!

yes but Springfield was the military so everything of "ordnance" had a flaming bomb on it.....

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Combat accuracy I guess :) the sights suck but they are staying. cant wait to get my parts.

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I would have it parked as well. With the Rock Island rebuild mark I think it would be the most correct finish. I always cringe when I see GI 1911's that have been reblued. Most of them just never look right or are buffed way too much.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    OK .45 fan, I was looking for an Atlanta Arsenal refurb mark, so I guess a good Park would be nice, AllenM like I mentioned before what your currently doing is living my dream, as a soldier (now retired) I used to dream/think about what your doing right now. I had a spare Colt National Match slide and bbl once and put it onto an Essex frame, sure enough at the 1500 one day back in the early 90's an older gentleman came up to me and asked if I wanted to trade it for an old Colt he had, and thats how I have now the 1915 Colt 1911. He (older gentleman) liked the target sights on my parts pistol, so we traded.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I appreciate the feedback from this thread. I am going to take the advice and go with Parkerizing just so it will be closer to correct. I received my hammer, trigger and flat smooth msh with lanyard and short tang safety is due in friday.
    has anybody used Haviland in Brownsburg for parkerizing?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I appreciate the feedback from this thread. I am going to take the advice and go with Parkerizing just so it will be closer to correct. I received my hammer, trigger and flat smooth msh with lanyard and short tang safety is due in friday.
    has anybody used Haviland in Brownsburg for parkerizing?

I know 2 people that have used them and are [leased with the work.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Leave it to you Allen to breath new life into a rusty old hulk. Amazing to watch. Looking forward to seeing the finished project. I like the parkerized concept, dyerwatcher's suggestion of Colt royal blue would look great too. Whatever you finally decide, I'm sure it will turn out beautiful.

Top Bottom