• ...and so much more!
  • AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I picked this slide and frame up last Saturday from another INGO member.
    It is a 1917 serial number, Colt 1911.
    I went ahead and cleaned it up and installed a generic build kit in it just until I track down some original parts and figure out what to do with it. I have the correct hammer, grip safety, mainspring housing and trigger coming for it so far.

However, I don't believe the gun will ever have true significant collectors value and what I envisioned doing with it is having a high gloss bluing job done on it and just making it pretty,

Anyway now that I have it together and have been finding some original parts for it I am having second thoughts and just wondered what some of you would do if it was yours.

here is what it looked like last Saturday.

It's really in very good shape for it's age, just neglected

this is where it is now after a rust bath and generic parts kit. gun is functional and I intend to put a few rounds through it as is ...just because

Did a home parkerizing job on it to see if I could. Not perfect but Pretty happy with it over all

Last edited:

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Geez, I dunno Allen. I think you're right in that it has little collectible value anymore, but I don't know as it would make sense to turn it into a true shooter, either. If you don't mind putting the money into it I think putting original issue parts back into it, getting it a really nice blueing job and then making it a display piece (that could go bang if you needed it to) might be just the ticket.

Last edited:

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Geez, I dunno Alan. I think you're right in that it has little collectible value anymore, but I don't know as it would make sense to turn it into a true shooter, either. If you don't mind putting the money into it I think putting original issue parts back into it, getting it a really nice blueing job and then making it a display piece (that could go bang if you needed it to) might be just the ticket.

Pretty much my initial thoughts as well

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I think the value is still up for question.
    A near 100 yr old Colt from the military wouldn't have many as issued parts still in it anyway. They still bring good money.
    It's a cool gun for age if nothing else.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I think the value is still up for question.
    A near 100 yr old Colt from the military wouldn't have many as issued parts still in it anyway. They still bring good money.
    It's a cool gun for age if nothing else.

It probably would'nt have many original parts and by the RIA and FK stamp on the side it went through a Arsenal Refurbish at some point between 1941 and 1946. I am still not 100% clear on what the flaming bomb stands for though
    But many parts are still floating around out there, i doubt I would find a usable barrel though.
    This is why I started the thread is if someone that knows way more then me about these guns had a better idea of what to do with it.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    your Colt frame is a 1917 and the slide is from WWII....it has went through the Rock Island Armory........it still has some of the parkerizing on it from the refub ........is it what be called and "mix master"......watch shooting modern loads in it and the frame rails where not heat treated.....i would reparkerize it no buffing and the roll marks would look better....

flaming bomb is an military inspectors mark...

Last edited:

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    your Colt frame is a 1917 and the slide is from WWII....it has went through the Rock Island Armory........it still has some of the parkerizing on it from the refub ........is it what be called and "mix master"......watch shooting modern loads in it and the frame rails where not heat treated.....i would reparkerize it no buffing and the roll marks would look better....

How did you determine the slide from WWII?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    It probably would'nt have many original parts and by the RIA and FK stamp on the side it went through a Arsenal Refurbish at some point between 1941 and 1946. I am still not 100% clear on what the flaming bomb stands for though
    But many parts are still floating around out there, i doubt I would find a usable barrel though.
    This is why I started the thread is if someone that knows way more then me about these guns had a better idea of what to do with it.

I'll have to dig around but I MIGHT have some parts that match it. My dad and uncle both had OLD 1911s and rebuilt them years ago. One of them is in an old cigar box somewhere. Maybe at my mom's place in Indy. I'm not sure.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Years ago I would dream of finding one like that, I have a Colt .45 book by a guy nammed Swenson (IIRC), it showed alot of different .45's and parts. Anyway I would honor its service by having it blued like it was originaly if the restorers didnt remove the markings during the buffing process which is a key to a good blue job (can I say that), I have a 1915 original 95% from back in the day, the King of my safe queens. Someday my son will sell it, and somebody will post here of course about what a good deal they got on an early Colt. Mine has three notches cut in the mag well. Story go's it went down to ol Mexico and dispatched three banditos...hence the notches.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I'll have to dig around but I MIGHT have some parts that match it. My dad and uncle both had OLD 1911s and rebuilt them years ago. One of them is in an old cigar box somewhere. Maybe at my mom's place in Indy. I'm not sure.

That would be awesome

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I recognize that busted barrel.

I think you are on track with this. If it had been a complete gun to start with then different deal.

Shoot it.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I recognize that busted barrel.

I think you are on track with this. If it had been a complete gun to start with then different deal.

Shoot it.

yea it's not close to a rare serial even but the history is cool to study

Top Bottom