• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    I have recently decided I would like to get a recurve. I am definitely a beginner, as I've only shot a recurve once. Does anybody know a good beginner bow that isn't super expensive but reliable and will last. I'm wanting something to just shoot around and eventually if I ever get confident enough with it try to harvest a deer. I did see a PSE coyote that looked pretty decent and not a bad price, does anyone have experience with this bow? I've also seen a couple bows online that someone put a modern sight on does anybody do that? Also need advice on arrows, would the arrows I use with my compound be ok or should I try real feather fletchings. I looked at broadheads and I think I like zwickeys and magnus but haven't decided. I am a complete newbie to this and I think it would be a fun hobby and I think I would love the challenge of trying to harvest a deer with one. Any and all info is appreciated

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The PSE Coyote is a Spyder riser with Ragim limbs IIRC. I had one, got it used with a twisted limb, straightened right up.......but I had to twist the string up to get it to not be shocky and the # was 5 lbs higher than the 50 it was supposed to be ( when I got it to the brace height where it was tolerable). I've shot a 35# a bud has, can't recommend that bow.

It's an inexpensive bow (relatively speaking) that is marketed toward those used to compounds.

I'd look for a used 70's era Bear/Wing/Howatt before I'd buy a new metal riser "entry" recurve. One can still find deals now and then. 2 yrs ago I sold a 45 # Grizzly in VVG shape for less than 100 bucks. It was a bit noisy, and some old rigs can be..........but I found it was due to limb resonance and dampeners worked very well at hushing it,

If you shoot your recurve off the shelf, you'll need to use feathers. A buddy shoots an elevated rest on his and vanes work fine for him.

FWIW I am rather pleased with my Hoyt Dorado riser with Tradtech blackmax limbs. Wasn't cheap but is good enough I haven't been too weirded out not shooting a custom for 2 years ;)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Recurves can vary in the amount of centershot . Some are shy of center, some cut to it, and others past. How much will determine what shafting you use.
    I run a 53# Hoyt and GT55/75's. There I add 100 gr to the insert and they fly beautiful. My Blackwidow HS isn't cut as much to center, and is 59#..........so it runs only 50 grains added. Same shaft.

jjohnson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    I hunt with a Bear Kodiak with a 60# draw. I have killed two does and a buck with it. There is nothing like taking a deer down with traditional equipment. I bought it used for $150. I am a huge fan of Bear recurves. You can usually find a good deal on ebay. Do not use the same arrows you use for your compound. You will need longer arrows for one and they will need to be feathered. I shoot Gold Tip carbon fiber arrows with 125gr two blade magnus stinger broadheads and 5in feathers. The brand doesn't matter but carbon fiber is the way to go.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I'd go Goldtip as they have a weight system that allows you to adjust the spine a bit.

I'd not get a 60# bow for a starter. Heck, IMHO even a 55# rig takes a bit of dedication.

338sniper

Marksman
    Rating - 97.2%
    35   1   0
    Jul 15, 2012
    There is a guy in indianapolis that's led some of the highest quality recurves I have ever seen. His name is John Brooks. I am pretty sure Brian at Ondy Trading Post knows him also.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Fantastic woodwork and design doesn't mean diddly to me if the grip sucks.
    I like the Blackwidow standard grip. Cheap plywood rigs made by a bunch of hicks ;)
    FWIW my Hoyt Dorado is usable, but not quite the way I want it. Being detachable, I can at some point, make a replacement grip comparable to BW dimensions.
    For a 430 dollar rig it's pretty decent.

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    I looked at cutting edge today and only saw two, a pse coyote and after hearing what you guys have said about them I think I'll pass. The other was a left hand so that does me no good

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FWIW they make bowquivers that can go on if there are no holes in the riser.
    Selway and Great Northern are two makes (there are others).
    I prefer the GN strap on. Lightweight, seem a bit flimsy but are actually secure and work great. I've hunted with one for 3 years, no problems.

My BW has tapped limb bolts so it's got a Delta screwed to it. The Delta is sold by Bear but their new recurves have bushings in the sides for them. I dislike bushings in my wood recurves- IMHO it kills the looks.

Wood riser recurve? GN all the way.

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Somewhere
    I have a 50Lbs Martin take-down.

My next recurve will be a Bob Lee though. Bob Lee take-downs are probably the best around. Very slick snap-in, tool-less, limbs. Lots of data on there out them too. I've heard nothing but fantastic things about them.

Bob Lee Custom Bows - Voted Best Recurve Bow, Number One in the U.S. - America's favorite recurves and longbows since 1951

Cutting Edge and Recurve are not two things that really go together. Those of us who like recurve archery, are into it becuase it's pure and we appreciate the craftsmanship of the bow. If you want High-Tech, you should probably look into compound.

That's not to say there have been innovations though. Again, check out the Bob Lee Bows. I think you will drool a little. Then cry when you see the prices.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I run take down bows, and rarely take them apart. In fact I leave mine strung almost all the time.
    Take downs offer the option of a different limb set, or not scrapping a whole bow should a limb get damaged.
    Brace height, nock point...........once things settle down I'd like my tune to stay where it is. Unstringing a bow off and on adds enough variability Taking it apart where the string twists can change from what they were (in number).......plus tension. No thanks.

There is some cool recurve stuff out there, like ILF for those who like to experiment. Some reportedly high tech stuff can be seen at
    Black Swan Archery - Top-quality, high-performance traditional bows

Our Bows

I like the looks of Bob Lee stuff, esp the "Heavy weight" phenolic riser. I'd like to shoot one though, as IMHO grip is a HUGE factor in shootability.

Take downs...............about a dozen times and the newness, and thought of taking it apart...........are about gone. With that, the tool-less concept is neat, but that's about it. Aint no sin in having to use an Allen wrench.............maybe once or twice a year (I do after season for good clean/maintenance- and after any heavy rain).

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FWIW I really liked my Hoyt Dorado with Tradtech limbs.
    The bow was great, the grip just wasn't what I liked.

I really like the standard grip on Blackwidow recurves. The guys are great people too. Also like the way they feel on the draw, just a little different.

Had 3 new ones built over the years. Am content for the meantime ;) to run a 30 yr old metal handled one.
    If I find an extra grand laying around I'll probably get a PCH built.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom